Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #15

I don't know about older V10 models, but on our 2013 chassis, Ford built-in a cooler as part of the oil filter mounting.

David
2013 Vista 27N
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
I don't know about older V10 models, but on our 2013 chassis, Ford built-in a cooler as part of the oil filter mounting.

David
2013 Vista 27N
Same with my 1999 V10. Oil cooler adaptor mounted above oil filter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #17

Yeah, our 2012 Lexi also has the itty bitty Ford OE oil cooler.
Just sayin, if you want more cooling, than an aftermarket large oil cooler is the way to go, and not a slightly larger oil filter.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:20 PM   #18

From the small filter to the large run cooler really how many ounce difference is that.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #19

As grump alludes to above, use an oil cooler to get better oil cooling capabilities. similar concept to a tranny cooler. The larger capacity of oil needed may allow better efficiency of the oil detergents.
A larger filter may be more efficient for filtration. I doubt a larger filter would allow for better cooling or better lubrication.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Having worked on the dealer OEM side dealing with warranty claims, I will only use the OEM oil filter on anything I own (cars, motorcycles and RVs) that is under factory warranty. I would never want to have to defend a claim by the manufacturer that the "wrong" filter was a contributing factor in engine failure. It just cheap insurance for me.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stewart W,

Thanks for the OEM side of warranty claims. It's always good to get that type of opinion since you were in the mix of it. The rest of us can only guess what has happened unless we are actually involved in a claim.

When you consider the much longer warranties involved with our vehicles one would have to believe that engine longevity and integrity is a vital part of today's designs.

I believe that most any engine will have sufficient oil, cooling capacity and filtration right from the factory to fulfill the projected warranty mileages. In regards to a motor home they are designed to tow up to a 5,000 lb vehicle. Unless we exceed the speeds, suggested load weights or neglect the oil change requirements we should be OK.

They are mechanical so anything can and may happen. Also consider how we DON'T read about how often the Ford V-10 is breaking??

I began my teaching career in 1971 and watched the industry go through massive changes over those many, many years. Computer controlled engines were introduced industry wide in 1980 and aluminum became the preferred engine material. What a ride that was.

The learning curve for all (technicians, engineers, owners) was steep, difficult and it has never stopped. That came about based on the .gov intervention (CAFE & emissions standards) as well as the foreign competition. The foreign manufacturers had a hands up on fuel efficiency and the use of aluminum. Fuel in Europe has always been much higher.

Twenty five years ago I would not and could not make these following statements. Today the American manufacturers, are for the most part, producing a quality product. They perform very well, last for many more miles are fuel efficient and low in exhaust emissions.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #22
Community Administrator

I agree. It's like the old Fram oil filter commercial. "Pay me now or pay me later "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Having worked on the dealer OEM side dealing with warranty claims, I will only use the OEM oil filter on anything I own (cars, motorcycles and RVs) that is under factory warranty. I would never want to have to defend a claim by the manufacturer that the "wrong" filter was a contributing factor in engine failure. It just cheap insurance for me.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbw View Post
If your doing your routine oil changes, you gain nothing by going to a larger filter except more expense. I use the oem filter and it is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with that statement. The larger capacity filter allows for more oil in the system which translates to longer lasting oil and overall better lubrication. The oil will run cooler. The other alternative to getting more capacity is a deeper pan. A larger filter is a much easier alternative.
X2 on that. The OEM filter on my jeep is the short version of the FL-1A
I run the 2 quart version that is even larger than the FL-1A. I get the WIX brand at NAPA or Oreillys. (Napa #1773) I change my filters every 3K or so and change the oil when you can't read the info though it on the dipstick. (12K-15K miles)
I also run a Filter Mag on my filters. You can really see the oil is cleaner using this filter changing procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
really now ; what changes that the oil will run cooler??
The oil IS the coolant for the lower half of the engine. (There are NO coolant passages around the Crankshaft and its bearings)
The coolant also doesn't do much to cool the valvetrain other than the lifters on a typical pushrod engine.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Same here. OE filters only.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #25

Quote:

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. I use better than OEM oil and filter. Never, ever had an issue with an engine or warranty on any car.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #26

makes no difference if it's better than OEM the fact is OEM is all they're going to warranty without crying contributing factor.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
makes no difference if it's better than OEM the fact is OEM is all they're going to warranty without crying contributing factor.

Lawsuit waiting to happen.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Snake View Post
Lawsuit waiting to happen.

May be, but sure seems like a lot of effort and time just to use aftermarket parts when there wouldn't be any question otherwise.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote