Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
V10 not starting

I'm confused on my ford v10. Most of the time no problems. Sometimes when I attempt to start it the engine turns over just fine but will not start. It's as if no fuel or spark to it. I wait a few minutes and it will start instantly. Any suggestions?
charlespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #2

Could be many things. I would start with fuel side. It could be your fuel lines loosing pressure when it sits. That's usually a bad check valve letting fuel drain back in the tank. You then have to try and start until fuel reaches the injectors.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a gas.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Could be many things. I would start with fuel side. It could be your fuel lines loosing pressure when it sits. That's usually a bad check valve letting fuel drain back in the tank. You then have to try and start until fuel reaches the injectors.
X2 on fuel pressure. Try turning the key and leave it on for a few seconds and then try to start or better yet have someone under the fuel tank when you turn the key on, see if they hear the pump come on right away.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

I would let it sit all night. Go out next day and turn the ignition to run, but don't turn over the engine. Leave it in the run position for 2 or three seconds and turn it off. Do the same thing a couple of times and then try to actually start the engine. If it starts after that then you have a fuel pressure problem. Not sure where the check valve is on your rig. Some are part of the fuel pump and some are somewhere in the lines. Let us know how it goes.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If its a late model its built into fuel pump....along with fuel filter.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlespool View Post
I'm confused on my ford v10. Most of the time no problems. Sometimes when I attempt to start it the engine turns over just fine but will not start. It's as if no fuel or spark to it. I wait a few minutes and it will start instantly. Any suggestions?

If all else fails when you have it running I would suggest taking it to a Ford dealership and have the service department run a diagnostic check, even though your "check engine" light may not be illuminated.

Good luck and let us know the fix...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The year of your coach would help. You've gotten decent advice. I believe it is a fuel issue. Usually, but not always, if it is electrical in nature the problem won't fix itself soon after you tried to start it. Sometimes electrical connections will come and go as a result of heat (expansion/contraction), or movement of wiring harnesses.

Electric fuel pumps (especially those in the tank) when they begin to get old sometimes won't build pressure when the key is first turned on. That's why several posters said to turn the key on and wait some time before you tried cranking. Sometimes it take time for the pump to begin spinning and building pressure. Just a few months ago this happened.

I was in my garage when I heard some guys talking out in my driveway. Their truck was running then quit and they coasted down the hill and into my drive. I went out and watched them work for a few minutes. The truck cranked just fine and they didn't know if it was spark or fuel. I walked into my garage and got a big dead-blow hammer. I walked back to the truck and asked one of the guys to smack the bottom of the fuel tank a few times while the other guy was cranking the engine. It fired right up. I told them to drive it to a repair facility and have the fuel pump replaced.

If the pump is sluggish starting but once it gets going the pressure may be OK and taking it to a shop might not tell them much. In that case the best thing to have done is to install a fuel pressure gauge wait overnight so everything cools down and the pump sets for a spell then turn the key on. The pressure should build immediately. If it does not then replace the pump.

TeJay
Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is a 2000 national tropical on a 2000 ford chassis
Thanks everyone for the advice. So far it has cranked every time. That said, it is just as likely to not start the next time. That's my problem. There are on check engine lights on either.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #10

the diagnostic process must be started in order to determine what path to take. You will need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to determine fuel pressure during the no start condition and you will need to check spark during that time also. No fuel pressure can be from the PCM not commanding on the pump so no fuel pressure does not automatically mean a fuel pump issue. During the no start it helps to determine if you can communicate with the PCM. Shorted VREF will cause the PCM to not boot up fully and you will not be able to start. The engine will crank because the PCM does not control the starter.

A check engine light would not likely be commanded on for this symptom. It is not uncommon to not have an engine light on or DTC for symptoms. In fact DTC's can lead to wrong directions if they are not fully understood. AKA lean codes and people throw in an O2 sensor. That is just a symptom and not a cause.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is a PCM?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlespool View Post
What is a PCM?
Powertrain control module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia