Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
V10 Oil Filler Tube

Recently acquired a 2005 Fleetwood Storm and I will be changing the oil. I found the oil filler tube to be mounted very high up in the engine compartment. No room to pour oil from the bottle. I'm guessing a long hose and funnel to get new oil in the engine unless someone has a device or trick up their sleeve.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy a 55 gallon drum and a hand cranked pump
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same for me ,hose and funnel.
Use the largest hose you can.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anyone ever tried these oil change pumps (WalMart) that supposedly will suck oil out of the dipstick tube instead of using the low point drain. I'm wondering if this will work in reverse sucking/pumping oil out of the new bottles into the filler tube.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #5

I have a similar problem with my Itasca Sunova. My oil tube may not be as high. With a one quart bottle I am able to twist the bottle around and pour the oil in. Being cheap, I decided to get the one gallon bottle of oil. I found I could hold it lower and pour into filler neck. By the end of the one gallon, I just had enough room to get all the oil out. Just try until it works.

I've used one of the pumps and tho successful, found it inconvenient and time consuming.

Good luck
Old 08-06-2009, 03:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatguy57 View Post
Recently acquired a 2005 Fleetwood Storm and I will be changing the oil. I found the oil filler tube to be mounted very high up in the engine compartment. No room to pour oil from the bottle. I'm guessing a long hose and funnel to get new oil in the engine unless someone has a device or trick up their sleeve.
We have all had this problem I would guess. I found a small valve to put on the end of a quart oil container at Wal-Mart. It allows you to position the oil container in the tube and then twist the valve (which has convenient ears), which then will release the oil. I use an ice pick to punch a hole in the bottom for faster release of the oil. The plastic valve cost less than a buck.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a pump although not the Walmart pump. I started with the pump on my boat many years ago, works great. On the boat you have to pump old oil out. On the motorhome I pump the new oil in.
onecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The pump sounds like the way to go
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #9

On mine I can get a 1-qt bottle to pour cleanly. I tried funnels and hoses with the 5-qt bottles, but it's a lot to hold for the time it takes to drain the larger container. So I keep an empty 1-qt around and refill it from the larger 5-qt. It might seem convoluted, but it works and doesn't really take much longer than fighting with the alternatives does.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Filler Tube

I got me 24inches of 1/2 inch auto heater hose and duct taped a funnel to one end. It worked just fine. Problem resolved.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #11

Thanks for another solution.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #12

the easy way is a pour spout that screws on oil container, it has a valve that turns and releases oil into oil fill tube. i bought mine at pepboys. the only problem i have is transfering oil from five gallon container to quart container, as valve will only fit quart container..the problem with oil removal pumps is you can't get all of the oil out of the bottom of oil pan and thats were all of the bad stuff ends up. a valve in the pan is the way to go. oil draining is painless with a valve..good luck
yauchzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
This last Spring I purchased a 04 Storm and found the same stupid design problem. I removed an inch or so of the rubber tubing between the Rt valve cover and filler tube via the doghouse door. Then I removed the front mount for the filler and placed it lower.
hal-3 gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #14

I agree that the design isn't the best IMO. I can pour a 1 qt container in mine but typically buy a 5 qt container to save some money. I just changed the oil this week and had to refill a 1 qt container 5 times from the larger 5 qt container. More comical than anything I guess.