Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 06:02 PM   #1

V10 Oil Filter

We’re heading out for a long trip so it’s time for an oil change. The good news is Sam’s club had 6 quart cases of Mobil One 5W-20 for $28. These are individual quarts so make it easy to fill without all the messy alternatives when using the usual 5 quart jug.

Bad news is, nobody had the FL820S filters in stock. Auto Zone, Advance and even Walmart had empty shelves. Last resort, I stopped at my friendly Ford dealer. They had them in stock and $3 cheaper than the above mentioned stores.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 07:07 PM   #2

I've noticed a little lack of FL820's around here too. I usually stock a couple against future so I'm OK for a while. Noted that O'Reilly's was carrying Motorcraft filters. Maybe they have been, I just never noticed. No 820's either but after seeing the prices on the ones they did have I didn't really care. Ten bucks? Really?

I usually pick them up at WalMart when DW drags me into one. We happen be almost in the middle of four so which one we go to depends on which else is nearby. Which has given me a chance to observe some weird stocking. Some things just run low, like Rotella. Others make no sense. I wanted to buy a particular LED shop light they carry. Store 1, no. Big empty spot where they go. Same at store #2. Store #3 had so many the allocated shelf spot was literally overflowing onto the floor.

I've started to look for other such stocking anomalies. I don't find such shopping trips too much fun so entertainment is where you find it, right? Some things I wonder if demand is just that much different in different parts of the county. I've not one clue how they manage stocking their stores.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:06 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The last time I was in Walmart looking for filters, it appeared to me the shelf space for Motorcraft oil filters was just about gone. I'd bet they're dropping that line and going with a couple of other brands. I used to get ACDelco filters for my Chevy HHR there but they were all gone and there were no empty shelves. Time to find new sources.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:06 AM   #4

I picked up the last FL820S filters at one of Walmarts near my home. They look different, and instead of the name printed on the filter, there were stickers. It appears they are being manufactured by another manufacturer.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was going to my local NAPA for oil filters rather than my local Ford or Walmart as NAPA is only about a mile away and Ford and WM are about 8 miles.

Couple of changes ago I went to the NAPA counter and asked for "Oil filter for a 2016 Ford F53 V10." The counter person fumbled around on the computer and asked "What was that for?" Repeated. More fumbling around. "I don't show anything." Told him that the F53 is a motorhome chassis. He finally found it.

Went and did the change but I checked the filter he gave me against the one that was on the rig. I was bothered by the fact he didn't find it so I logged into my account and did a search for one, and it was the first hit and the same one.

Now I just swing by Ford when I'm in the area and know I'll be doing a oil change soon. And they have heard of an F53 before.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
We’re heading out for a long trip so it’s time for an oil change. The good news is Sam’s club had 6 quart cases of Mobil One 5W-20 for $28. These are individual quarts so make it easy to fill without all the messy alternatives when using the usual 5 quart jug.

Bad news is, nobody had the FL820S filters in stock. Auto Zone, Advance and even Walmart had empty shelves. Last resort, I stopped at my friendly Ford dealer. They had them in stock and $3 cheaper than the above mentioned stores.
I find my local Ford dealer to be very friendly and fair with pricing. He can do some work on my F53, but doesn't have a lift for it. I have found that not all car dealerships are good though.
Glad you have a good one too.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
John,
Sorry I never mentioned to you that I've been using Ford dealers as my source for V-10 air and oil filters for years. You are correct!! Their pricing is sometimes comparable or less expensive than other usual sources.

Another area where I prefer to use dealers is when purchasing belts. Yes it's smart to compare prices but this was one area years ago when we began to see timing chains replaced with timing belts on the newer aluminum engines. Sometimes it was difficult to get the timing belts many of the aftermarket belts did not stand up to the usual 60,000 to 70,000 mile recommended intervals. I was told by many working technicians to be on the safe side to ALWAYS buy dealer aftermarket timing belts.

I can't honestly say they were correct in their thinking but the difference in $$$$ was worth it IMHO!! Besides it made good sense. If a manufacturer recommended not changing the timing belt until 60,000 miles, it would not go well if a large number of the belts didn't last at least to the 60,000 miles. Maybe even warranty entered into the pic.

The most difficult aspect of this issue was and still is determining quality. We have a GATES rubber company close to us. Does that mean if I bought a GATES belt locally it would be of good quality?? Who's to say!!! Even these days with say Timken bearings which most of us believe are of good quality who's to say which country now makes them? Are they of the same quality?? So many products are made in so many different countries it's almost impossible to know for sure.

I know several local shops who service vehicles from cars up to 18 wheelers. If I need advice, I know folks to talk to get recommendations. This much I do understand. If a company owns and uses vehicles to make a living when they are in a shop, they are not making any $$$$. If they are going back too often for similar repairs either they are using cheaper parts to save some $$$ or their technicians are not very good. Both will result in lost business. At least 6 to 8 local shops are either owned by or use some of my past students. I can and do get straight answers from them!!!!
Old 01-17-2022, 02:51 PM   #8

Get a Wix (Napa Gold is the same). They are better filters.
Or the white K&N with the nut on the bottom. This is what I use.

Engine Masters episode 84 on Motor Trend TV did a comparison.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:47 AM   #9

filters

according to a review I read, Ford oil filters are some of the best out there
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford oil filters are obviously fine and are recommended by ford. However, Fram filters are virtually identical (some suggest made in the same factory). Have been using the classic Fram PH2 ($3.80 on amazon) on my F53 V10 rigs, and using Fram on everything else on my farm for 30 years with no problem. Quaker state 5-20 dinosaur oil, and I do my own oil changes on the Moho for $27! Now that is a reasonable yearly maintenance cost...
Iceman-31D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I was going to my local NAPA for oil filters rather than my local Ford or Walmart as NAPA is only about a mile away and Ford and WM are about 8 miles.

Couple of changes ago I went to the NAPA counter and asked for "Oil filter for a 2016 Ford F53 V10." The counter person fumbled around on the computer and asked "What was that for?" Repeated. More fumbling around. "I don't show anything." Told him that the F53 is a motorhome chassis. He finally found it.

Went and did the change but I checked the filter he gave me against the one that was on the rig. I was bothered by the fact he didn't find it so I logged into my account and did a search for one, and it was the first hit and the same one.

Now I just swing by Ford when I'm in the area and know I'll be doing a oil change soon. And they have heard of an F53 before.

First Class C I've owned so.......

Why would you ask for a filter for an F53 ? Is that not the chassis and not th engine type? Are they one in the same?
I would think that you would ask for filter for Ford V-10 6.8L.

Sorry for the ignorance.....
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonCamper View Post
First Class C I've owned so.......

Why would you ask for a filter for an F53 ? Is that not the chassis and not th engine type? Are they one in the same?
I would think that you would ask for filter for Ford V-10 6.8L.

Sorry for the ignorance.....
You are correct, to a point. When I go to one of the automotive stores they first want to know year, make and model of the vehicle, and then when they find that they ask which engine it has. So starting with '2013 Ford F53' is year, make and model (for me). THEN comes the question about the engine - which as I recall was just verifying that their computer showed the right one, not having a choose from more than one.
It's really just working within the confines of the way their system was designed, or the way those folks are used to looking things up.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:08 AM   #13

Wix 51372 or Mobil 1 M1-210 or M1-210A are good filters that I had no trouble finding. EAO11 by Amsoil if you're an Amsoil user.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Wix 51372 or Mobil 1 M1-210 or M1-210A are good filters that I had no trouble finding. EAO11 by Amsoil if you're an Amsoil user.

Yep, and I think the Napa Gold version of the Wix 51372 is Napa 1372.

Tags
v10