Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
V10 power loss, but no fault codes?

Hi,
I've got a 2001 ford v10 in a Monaco lapalma with 36k miles.
It starts and runs well up to 45-55 mph, but then runs out of power.
You can get it up to 70 but takes time. Also a hill will take it down to 35.
Plugged a good scanner on it and No Fault codes. And MAF + o2 sensors appear ok.
I've changed the fuel filter. Made no difference.
Anybody have any ideas before I start throwing blind money at it?
I'm in the Uk so the Ford dealer would be no help with this engine.
Also its worth noting it has a banks power system on it.
Thanks for any help in advance!
jcramphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #2

Catalytic Converter

Check the exhaust system and see it is equipped with a catalytic converter. This is a export coach? If it is so equipped start the engine and take a piece of cardboard and cover the exhaust pipe. If there is very little flow the converter could be starting to plug up. Is there a bad smell coming from the exhaust? That's another sign. Bad gas or gas with very high alcohol content will kill a converter. You could also check fuel pressure. Maybe a fuel pump starting to fail. Good luck..
xflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check air filter, search this site for COP (coil on plug) a very common problem. Clean/replace spark plugs. Check fuel pump pressure.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for the replys,
I should of mentioned I've changed the plugs. I'll search for further info though.
The exhaust could be a problem, we have yearly vehicle tests here in the uk. And it tested with bad emissions. So I'll check the exhaust flow.
Do you know the correct fuel pressure so I can get it checked?
Many thanks.
jcramphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #5

Plugged fuel filter, plugged cat converter, even other problems in the muffler could be holding you back. With emissions test fail; cat converter problems would be the first test .
There should be a schrader valve on the fuel injector supply tubing on the top of the motor , it's about twice the size of a tire filler , that's the point ot attach the fuel pressure gauge.
I'll look for a picture and the pressure specs.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #6

More info..

If you determine it is a bad cat I have learned that it is better to change all the O2 sensors in the system. A cat that is going bad or is almost plugged will produce an enormous amount of heat. That heat will burn up the O2 sensors. If you change the cat but don't change the O2 sensors the ECU will not reset to factory default settings. The engine will still run some what ruff..
Old 03-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Poor Mans Test...

If you disconnect the cat at the inlet and wire it up out of the way you can determine for sure if it's bad. Good luck..
Old 03-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

I had the same issue with my 2004 F350 with a V10. The coil packs would break down and would take forever to get moving with a load in it or on the highway. It got so bad we picked it up from the dealer in Syracuse NY hooked up the 5th wheel and only made it to NC before I had issues. We nursed it to Camp Wilderness in Orlando and took it to a dealer. They replaced 4 coil packs (3 had just been replaced in NY). From what I learned the heat under the hood on those engines just baked parts on long rides. Only good thing was I ordered a new truck when we got home and swapped to a diesel...
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #9

Check your fuel trims. If you have a bad coil one of the ten cylinders might not be firing. As in my case, there were no codes. The fuel trim showed a rich mixture. I inquired here and was directed towards the coils. While idling, I started pulling coil primary wires. The second one I pulled made no difference. Replaced that coil and the engine ran much smoother with more power and better gas mileage. Trim came back in line.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:17 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As mentioned check or replace the coils. Common problem with loss of power on the V10.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #11

If you have a bad plug or coil you should definitely feel a miss in the engine when trying accelerate. A plugged muffler or catalytic converter usually sounds like a hurricane at the tailpipe when stepping on the gas. A plugged fuel filter on the other hand won't do anything noticeable other than make it very hard to accelerate.

Over the years I've experienced plugged mufflers and catalytic converters (not on the V10) as well as a couple bad coils on a V10. They all could be heard or felt as well as feeling the impact on performance.

We had a plugged fuel filter on our 2001 motorhome built on the F53 chassis and the only symptom was poor acceleration. It happened when we were trying to climb to the Eisenhower tunnel on I 70 in Colorado. When we finally reached our destination I knew we had to resolve the problem before moving on.

A look through the maintenance records revealed It had been a while since I last changed the fuel filter. We went to town and purchased one at a local parts store. The old one was so full of dirt it must have weighed close to 10 pounds. I couldn't believe the difference in performance. The motorhome went from barely being able to get out of its own way to running like a scared rabbit.

Tags
6.8 v10, no fault codes, power, power loss, v10