Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2022, 04:05 PM   #1

V10 Triton Major Tuneup

We have had our 2006 HR motorhome for about 4 years now. It has the Ford V10 Triton engine in it and we have changed its oil and filters regularly. When we bought it the motorhome only had 34,000 miles on it, but now it has 78,000 miles.

PPL in Houston was doing the oil change and the tech suggested that we do a major tuneup every 50,000 miles. We did not do a major tune-up when we went over 50,000 miles a couple of years ago. PPL wants to charge us $1,300 for this major tune-up. I know inflation is hitting us all hard nowadays, but this does seem to be a lot of money.

So I wanted to check with you guys first before I did anything!

Thanks for all of your advice and help!

Jon
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #2

I would reach out to a local Ford truck dealer or two and inquire as to what is recommended and have them quote you an estimated cost. You may either find a lower cost source for the work, or confirmation of the charges he quoted you. It will at least make you feel better either way.

One other thing…it never hurts to tell them that it’s quite a steep charge, and ask if they can possibly do better or provide a discount. You never get what you don’t ask for… I was in Sourcing for 25 years .
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:28 PM   #3

Points and rotor?

A tune up these days is new plugs, plugs wires, and clean the MAF and throttle body.

You could probably do that yourself.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Points and rotor?

A tune up these days is new plugs, plugs wires, and clean the MAF and throttle body.

What he said. LOL if you have mechanical capabilities depending on your model year the plug wire is attached to the coil. These are the most expensive part of a tune up can be up to $750.00 or more. Good luck. Search the internet, don't buy the cheapest but a good brand name and install as Gary said.
craigd853 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Points and rotor?

My handyman skills have improved quite a bit since buying this RV. However, I have no abilities to work on engines. Besides my wife won't let me!

I will call around to some Ford dealerships tomorrow.

Thank you for all of your help!
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #6

First thing I would do is ask what is done on "a major tune-up". "A major tune-up" is a very fuzzy term, and you should ask for a detailed clarification on what is done on this "tune-up".
Offramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:08 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offramp View Post
First thing I would do is ask what is done on "a major tune-up". "A major tune-up" is a very fuzzy term, and you should ask for a detailed clarification on what is done on this "tune-up".
Just change the oil once a year. Plugs at 100000 miles. Drain radiator if you like. Check exhaust studs. Done. If nothing's wrong don't fix it. Gas filter can e changed not a big deal.
Be very secptical of someone telling you that.
Brakes should be checked if not changed already. Perhaps a transmission fluid change.
Find a reputable truck center who work on F53s.
My 1999 runs perfect on original plugs and wires. 78,000 miles.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211001_091510864_HDR.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	364559

Sent from my moto e6 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:08 PM   #8

My 2011 V10 purrs like a kitten after 110,000 miles without a tuneup. Just oil and filter changes so far.
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:12 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
No such thing as a "major tuneup" anymore. Like mentioned, plugs at ~100K miles, and there are no plug wires, just coil over plugs. Belt, fluids, vacuum hoses and filters is all you need to deal with.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offramp View Post
We don't do "tune ups" anymore. That went out with EFI and computerized engine ignition.
Plugs may still work at 100,000 miles but not as good as new. Probably should look and new plugs and wires (coil on plug or the coil pack to plug) around the 50 to 70k miles.
Other than that, the MAF and throttle body need cleaning periodically. Your choice.
MAF is not to tough but the throttle body is a bit more inaccessible and maybe you should get a tech to do that.
I did my plugs and wires standing in each wheel well.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We don't do "tune ups" anymore. That went out with EFI and computerized engine ignition.
Plugs may still work at 100,000 miles but not as good as new. Probably should look and new plugs and wires (coil on plug or the coil pack to plug) around the 50 to 70k miles.
Other than that, the MAF and throttle body need cleaning periodically. Your choice.
MAF is not to tough but the throttle body is a bit more inaccessible and maybe you should get a tech to do that.
I did my plugs and wires standing in each wheel well.
Mileage has not changed from 100 miles to 78000 miles so why put money into something that is not necessary?. General maintenance is all that's needed.
Changed belts and idler pulley do to a squealing sound around 63000 miles. Upper and lower radiator hoses at that time due to age of those items. Radiator fluid at that time also.
All brakes and seals at 68000 miles. And repacked bearings at that time since wheels were off.
That's about all after owning it for 9 yrs. (Second owner).
First owner was very anal about maintenance and kept meticulous records. All work at Ford dealership.

Sent from my moto e6 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #12

Download the maintance manual and follow it.
All that things that need to be done will be listed.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:36 PM   #13

I just took a good look at my engine topside the other day. I have only 36,000 miles on it. The spark plugs and coil on plug is right there, very visible and nothing in the way. I have a 2007 F-150 with the Triton 5.4. As you may or may not know, those are the years they had trouble with the plugs breaking off trying to remove them. I think they changed them now, but, I would have a shop who knows what they are doing, maybe Ford, to replace the plugs, especially the first time. They now have the tools to get those old plugs out. When I had the plugs replaced the first time they put in Champions, on my F-150 now, and my truck did NOT, repeat, did NOT like those plugs. I had to replace those back to Motorcraft. So now I only use Motorcraft plugs and coils. Also, I bought the plugs elsewhere and Ford DID put them in for me, labor cost. I bought my last set of coils from Autozone and put them in myself, except for one. I could not reach into one of the very back ones. Ford put that one in for me, labor cost.
I know I am talking about my 5.4, but yours and my coach with the V-10 is in the same era, same problems from what I have read. Again looking down into my V-10, I would be tempted to change out my plugs myself, but, what if one breaks. I know, I know, I have read all about how to do this plug change. Personally, I would NOT do it with the first plug change. Coils, no problem. I could not believe how open and visible my plugs and coils were when I looked. It should be awhile before I need to change them. Another thing I have read. The longer the plugs are in there, the harder to get them out. At 78,000, first plug change, I would do them now, and coils. Then you won't have to worry about them for a LONG while.
Upper induction clean or something to that effect is what is also needed. I forget he particulars on that. It's late in the day for me.
I hope I passed this info on to you correctly or at least close.
I'm sure someone will correct if necessary. I think I will take a picture fo the top of my V-10 to show just how open things are on top.
Good luck.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:10 AM   #14

$1300 major tune up? Sounds like someone at PPL has a boat payment due or something….

Tags
v10