Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: To Tune or Not to Tune Your V10?
I like it stock 9 13.43%
Don't see any value added 10 14.93%
Don't want to spend the money 5 7.46%
Tuned for more power 23 34.33%
Tuned for better shifting 45 67.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
The tech can verify that a tune was installed. However it is usually more trouble that it is worth to find out exactly. Checking for a tune would be the least of my worries when doing drivability diag. However the PCM should be returned back to stock just incase the PCM needs updated at a dealer. A tune in there could cause a lot of issues. There have been cases with F150's, Mustangs, and Superduties that have been tuned that could not be returned back to stock and created programming issues. This involved the customer buying a PCM to correct the problem from the tuners. One of my jobs at Ford was checking for aftermarket tunes. One of my coworkers found that one of the tuners for 5.0L Mustangs were causing engine damage because they got rid of some safe guards built in the programming. After several engine warranty rejections he contacted the tuner and told them of the issue. They did correct it from what I was told.
This isn't my first rodeo with tunes and I can tell you that I have never had any problems. I've always used tunes programmed by professionals and have never tweaked them myself. Of course you can cause trouble if something is not done right.

I'd like to hear from folks with the 5star that have had it for a while and report any problems.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
This isn't my first rodeo with tunes and I can tell you that I have never had any problems. I've always used tunes programmed by professionals and have never tweaked them myself. Of course you can cause trouble if something is not done right.

I'd like to hear from folks with the 5star that have had it for a while and report any problems.
I never heard of any issues with motorhome programming but I know first hand of problems encountered with the above vehicles listed from reputable "tuners". But the programming is more technical on newer vehicles that I listed than the older calibrations that F53 chassis use. But you and anyone can do what they want but I just put that info out there that tunes can be detected if the tech knows what to look for. If you do choose to tune your motorhome, take the tune out before going to the dealer with a drivability issue incase the PCM needs a calibration update. This could cause a programming issue.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #17

I used Mikes Economy Tow Tune in my 08 for 5 years....no issues but the 91 octane performance tune did studder randomly.

I will likely get his tunes for my 2014 Storm.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I hadn't got my $400 tuner for free I would not have bought. Now that I have it, it has made a very slight increase in power, better low speeds shifts, but over 55 mph it won't downshift unless excessive throttle is applied or using tow/haul or gearshift downshifting. No increase in MPG is very disappointing.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
If I hadn't got my $400 tuner for free I would not have bought. Now that I have it, it has made a very slight increase in power, better low speeds shifts, but over 55 mph it won't downshift unless excessive throttle is applied or using tow/haul or gearshift downshifting. No increase in MPG is very disappointing.
Is your tuner A SCT hand held from Mike @5Startuning? If so would you consider selling it? I think he can reprogram it with my VIN for $100.

I know Mike will retune your programmer free of charge if your not happy.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
You are the fist person I heard of that's not happy with it. I just tuned our coach but won't be able to test it for a few weeks. I didn't buy it for more power or MPGs as I'm happy with how it is. You also have to remember that more power means more gas...usually. I think that if you are looking for more MPGs you can ask for a specific tune that will do that. With that being said, you will probably notice less power, slower throttle response, etc.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #21

Quote:
You are the fist person I heard of that's not happy with it. I just tuned our coach but won't be able to test it for a few weeks. I didn't buy it for more power or MPGs as I'm happy with how it is. You also have to remember that more power means more gas...usually. I think that if you are looking for more MPGs you can ask for a specific tune that will do that. With that being said, you will probably notice less power, slower throttle response, etc.
On My 08 Ford v-10 I got a solid 1/2 mpg more towing with the lowest 87 oct. econ. tune and still got the benefits of better throttle response and more power.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #22

The only way I can think of for getting better MPG under the exact same conditions is to either lean out the mixture slightly which could be dangerous or advance the timing slightly for a slight increase of power under each power stroke. However with either programming more stringent monitoring of knock and exhaust gas is a must to prevent engine damage.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
The only way I can think of for getting better MPG under the exact same conditions is to either lean out the mixture slightly which could be dangerous or advance the timing slightly for a slight increase of power under each power stroke. However with either programming more stringent monitoring of knock and exhaust gas is a must to prevent engine damage.
Much of the tuning involves the Torque Management settings, LTFT's (long term fuel trims) are fine tuned through out all rpm's to maximize exact Air to Fuel ratios. The tune can turn your OEM 5 speed transmission to a 6 speed> ( basically two-4th gears after the tune). Mileage can increase slightly but the main advantage is the increase of low end torque. Driveability.
Although not a expert I have experience in electronic tuning.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Much of the tuning involves the Torque Management settings, LTFT's (long term fuel trims) are fine tuned through out all rpm's to maximize exact Air to Fuel ratios. The tune can turn your OEM 5 speed transmission to a 6 speed> ( basically two-4th gears after the tune). Mileage can increase slightly but the main advantage is the increase of low end torque. Driveability.
Although not a expert I have experience in electronic tuning.
Long term fuel trims are always adjusting slightly based on current O2 readings. The reason for these is because the programmers give the PCM a base programming based on optimum everything. Because nothing is optimum the fuel tables will need to be adjusted slightly based on fuel, variances in MAF calibration, throttle angle, air density, etc. The O2 is the final say on if the adjustments are correct or not. The PCMs goal is to maintain the predetermined air/fuel ratio which is usually stoich. These fuel trims are also what triggers the lean/rich codes to set. Once the table has a percentage of + or - 25%, the PCM determines that it cannot control the fuel enough to give the correct air/fuel ratio. These fuel trims are also used to determine if E85 is being used in an E85 fuel system.

Since no V10 has adjustable cams, the lowend torque is pretty much determined by intake tuning, fuel, and ignition tables. Because the OEM programs based on the utmost reliability and emissions there may not be much adjustment that can be made.

The torqshift transmission in the 06 and newer transmissions is a 6 speed transmission however the 2 overdrives is not accurate. OD has always been used and the ratio is .707:1. No amount of programming can change that ratio, unless you actually replace the gear set will OD be affected. 4th and 5th gear is what two th variables are. 4th gear is only used under 5*F. The ratio for 4th is 1.096:1. The reason for this calibration under 5F is because the shift into 5th (1:1 ratio) was not desirable that cold. So to make the shift smooth the programing allowed for 4th gear to be commanded under those circumstances. You could program it to use all 6 forward ratios but the difference between 4th and 5th is very minimal with no obvious benefits.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #25

Got a V10 RV » 5 Star Tuning
Old 03-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Note....Mike makes SAFE tunes period! I've had his Ford tune for 5 years of hard pulling and it passed OBD Smog emissions a few months ago.
I only wish he made a tune for my Gen 4 Viper, right now it cost about $10K to make a non SMOG legal tune for a Dodge Viper V-10. My Ford truck V-10 has better throttle response than my 600+hp, 570+tq. Viper (come by and see anytime)
Old 03-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
I've had his Ford tune for 5 years of hard pulling and it passed OBD Smog emissions a few months ago.
)
That's pretty good. Many tuners are "off road use only" (just like 5 star) and you can have a hard time passing emissions.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #28

Has anybody "adjusted" their tune. You can go plus or minus a limited amount or percent on fuel, timing, shift points, max rpm and I forget what else and what the units are for them. I adjusted my Performance 91 Octane timing tune up 4°, but listen for knock.

I think that just about all the after-market tuners say: "For Off-Road Use Only". I think that is legalese for "We are not responsible for anything that happens to you".

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10