Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2022, 07:22 PM   #1

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Wire Location

I have a 2003 Fleetwood F53 Chassis and I am installing a new stereo. It is calling for the VSS wire (I assume to adjust volume or show speed or what-not). Does my rig have a source for this? Where would this wire be located? I believe it would run the speedometer so that makes sense. How would I tap into it?

Thanks!
Jglazer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2022, 10:11 PM   #2

It should be on transmission.. there will be one on rear of tail housing .. could be one on transmission side.. as to tapping into wire harnesses at dash.. I have no idea..
Ford uses the same light duty truck eng and trans from pickups.. so if no one response.. I would grab a basic automotive repair book for f350 the same yrs.. and in there it will have where vss is and color of wire in harnesses.. that should get you very close.. there will be specs for eng and trans and wiring diagrams.. hopefully that will help..
Good luck and keep us posted
Oh if yours is v10. You may need to use excursion one.. with v10..
Old 05-27-2022, 03:01 AM   #3

Jglazer63-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Re: VSS signal tap. It would help to know why the stereo wants a VSS signal, because Ford says you should not tap into it (link here):

Quote:
VSS
Vehicle Speed Sensor:

The source varies by model.
Sources include the Anti-Lock Brake
System (ABS) module, a transmission speed
sensor or the Transfer Case Speed Sensor
(TCSS) for 4x4 model equipped with a manual
transfer case. The vehicle speed signal is
either a speed variable frequency AC signal, or
a SCP Data message depending on the
source. The vehicle speed signal must be
operational for key sub-systems and the
vehicle diagnostics to operate properly. Do
not tap into or splice any VSS signal wire,
sensors or engine and transmission damage
may occur. For 6.0L diesel engines use VSO
wire, circuit 239 (WH/OG) for the vehicle
speed signal. For all other engines, installation
of an additional sensor will be required.
Finally, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:52 AM   #4

It's for adjusting the volume according to the speed of the vehicle. Theoretically. Our old Buick had that from the factory and it annoyed the heck out of me until I disabled it. A Honda we rented had it and I found it equally annoying.
As above, Ford says NOT to do that. Plus we have another poster here currently dealing with Ford VSS issues causing him transmission problems. You don't want to join him.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
It should be on transmission.. there will be one on rear of tail housing .. could be one on transmission side..
The VSS is on the rear differential. As said above, DO NOT tap into this. It will cause transmission problems.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I 100%agree with Mark K , STAY AWAY FROM THE VSS circuit on a Ford. As a retired senior master field service engineer I can verify that there is way too many modules that depend on that circuit.
Whatever happened to a KNOB that you turned for volume?
avfordguy
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location