Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 11:21 AM   #1

Water in air filter 2018 F-53

We drove thru a storm on I-95 just below Daytona yesterday that was bad enough to sink Noah's ark. Pouring rain, 50 foot visibility and probably 40 MPH cross winds and had to drive about 20 MPH.

I thought I felt the engine stumble a few times but it kept going just fine. Since I've had 9 Ford powered motorhomes in the last 20 years I'm very familiar with the water ingestion problems of previous versions of the V-10 air intake system. I thought they had been resolved. I guess I'm wrong.

I have a 26K 2019 Newmar on a 2018 F-53 chassis. This morning I decided to take apart the airbox and see what I could find. What I found was about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the box. The filter was dry. Since I don't want to reinvent the wheel and I know what worked on older chassis won't work on the newer ones, I was wondering if anyone had already come up with a fix.

I know the E series chassis had a big issue with this but the F-53 is completely different from the E series chassis so any fixes for the E series won't work for me. I've never had the problem on a F-53 before but it really did rain yesterday.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 03:32 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First I would drill a 1/8" hole or smaller for future drainage at the lowest part of the air box.
Look at the location of the air intake tube. It should be as far back as possible near the radiator and fairly high.
Ford intakes are notoriously restrictive. The snorkels are way undersized. I modified 3 V-10s by using 3" semi rigid flexible dryer hose. Remove Fords snorkle, attach the hose with clamps, turn 90d down, run it 2'+ towards the back. Attach to surrounding metal. I even added a scoop from a dryer outside vent to the end. A oiled gauzed air filter also will not get wet.
In pouring rains I never had any problems.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
There's a thread showing a few other MODS designed to fix the water ingestion as well as cleaning up the Ford system.

At the top of the forum page in the Google box type" Performance air filter". Find the one for around 2017. It's on these forums (3 page of posts or about 75). It shows several ideas that are working.

The MOD we did took the baffle out of the air box. Increased the size of the drain hole to about 5/16". Why not??? A larger hole will allow more water to escape. Any air coming in that larger hole will also be filtered before going into the engine.

Also opened up the small hole on the front right side of the air box to allow more air into the box. WHY not??? It's an opening into the air flow and now it's slightly bigger so more air can flow.

As near as I can guess Ford added the small hole because of the baffle that was inside the air box about 1/4 the way down the box to the left. Not sure why the baffle went across the filter but the space towards the drivers side could have allowed some air inro the engine.

When you remove the air filter that area past the baffle was always cleaner than the other 3/4 of the filter. The cleaner filter told me not as much air was getting through the last 1/4 of the filter. Now with a larger hole the entire filter is getting dirty telling me I'm allowing air to enter and be filtered. To me this seems like common sense.

Nobody so far has come up with an engineering reason to have the baffle in the air filter box. Until someone does I'll assume there was no reason. Mine is gone anyway.

The final add on were two salad bowels pointing towards the front to force feed air into the system. The funnels are about 2' lower than the filter box. That distance along with the grill breaking up incoming water even after Aprils trip to Natches, MS we had no water ingestion and to this day we have not had any water getting in at all.

As far as dryer tubing I don't like it. On the first air cleaner fix they used the dryer vent hose. We departed for the West coast and when we got into the hills the RV lost power and could not climb even small hills. Since the raine was done I removed the dryer hose and all was well. I know others have used it but that was my experience with it so I'll not try it again.

There might have been another reason why we lost power but none came to mind and power came back after taking it off. I have to blame it on the dryer hose.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
See post #2 in this thread and it has the link I believe TeJay is referring to. Has a ton of info on water in the Ford air filter, https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/rain...er-516862.html
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #5

Well, I've done a lot of reading, research and studying on the topic. I've come up with the only perfect solution I know. I'm just not going to drive in the rain again. I already don't drive in the dark so stopping for the rain ain't no big deal.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a good plan unless you get caught in a down pour. Sometimes that will just happen. The other time might be if you make an emergency trip for an illness and you need to get there ASAP! Both of those things have happened to us over the years.

Before we realized our V-10 was supposed to burn water (Fords idea not mine) we were headed to FL. We were still woring so taking our time was not in the plan. We almost always drove not stop except for a few hours in a rest area.

Retirement is waaaaay better.

Tags
air, air filter, water