Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2022, 10:09 AM   #1

What could cause a transmission to stay in 1st gear?

2016 New mar Baystar Sport
Ford F53 Chassis - Triton V10

After towing our trailer, up the hills from San Diego to Temecula (2 hour drive) I ran into an issue of the transmission staying in first gear.

I wasn't pulling the trailer.
The only way I can describe it is that either it popped back into neutral, or it wouldn't come out of first gear. like a slipping clutch or similar I guess.

I pulled over, made a few calls, found a place to get her in and drove there with no issue.

AAMCO did an inspection and diagnostic on the tranny
No codes.
No issues
Oil was clean.

She has been driving strong ever since.

Any ideas?
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2022, 12:03 PM   #2

Could be a computer glitch or a speed sensor. Had the same thing happen on my ford explorer . I continued driving to a shop, then shut down the engine for a couple of minutes and restarted it . Worked flawlessly for the next 200k miles.
My Mercedes does it every few months , stays in low or high gear. I just pull over and turn the engine off then on and I'm good for another few months. No codes active or stored.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its called cooling fan clutch roar, common on ford F53 and E450's , when coolant temp hits a certain point the fan clutch ( for the radiator) goes from slipping to full engage and the radiator fan roars and will drown out the radio and it souns like transmission is slipping. It just doing its job.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:18 AM   #4

If you drove somewhere stuck in first gear it must have taken forever. I don't think you can do more than about 5 MPH in first.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
2016 New mar Baystar Sport
Ford F53 Chassis - Triton V10

After towing our trailer, up the hills from San Diego to Temecula (2 hour drive) I ran into an issue of the transmission staying in first gear.

I wasn't pulling the trailer.
The only way I can describe it is that either it popped back into neutral, or it wouldn't come out of first gear. like a slipping clutch or similar I guess.

I pulled over, made a few calls, found a place to get her in and drove there with no issue.

AAMCO did an inspection and diagnostic on the tranny
No codes.
No issues
Oil was clean.

She has been driving strong ever since.

Any ideas?
When you pulled over to make a few calls did you shut the engine off?

Tags
transmission