Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

What is the difference in a sway bar-vs-trac bar?

Is one better than the other or used to address different issues. Are they both used in front and/or rear?

Tom Miller
Brooklyn, Mi. 49230
tmiller730@frontier.com
2016 Fleetwood Storm 30 L/G
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sway bar stabilizes the vehicle by reducing the lifting of the inside side when cornering. It's basically a torsion bar / spring. Larger diameter sway bars provide a higher tension, thus reducing more of the sway. Changing the attachment point of the sway bar links also can change the tension. This is what the CHF (cheap handling fix) does that you commonly see discussed for ford chassis.

Track bar (aka pan hard bar) locates the axle side to side - minimizing lateral movement of the vehicle over the axle. A common issue with some Motorhome chassis (notably the ford F53), is that there is no rear track bar instead relying on just the leaf springs to locate the rear axle. This makes the opportunity for the rear of the coach to shift side to side (when pushed by a passing truck, for example), and when the rear shifts one way the front must shift the other. This results in the symptom of having to constantly provide steering wheel correction to travel straight. Sometimes referred to as tail wagging the dog.

Both sway bars and track bars are applicable to either front or rear axles. There is usually always a sway bar in any suspension. Track bars may or may not be present, design depending.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:11 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Track bars control the yaw (vertical axis) and sway bars control the roll (longitudinal axis).
I have track bars and sway bars on both front and rear.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Yep.Track bars and sway bars are good additions. I think some people get confused about "sway" and it's correction. Track bars and sway bars are completely different products intended to address completely different conditions so this is a good conversation.

Track bars, correctly called Panhard bars, control side-to-side movement, which is really horizontal, not vertical. Sway Bars, correctly called Anti-Sway bars, reduce lean or sway, or roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
Track bars control the yaw (vertical axis) and sway bars control the roll (longitudinal axis).
I have track bars and sway bars on both front and rear.
Just what you didn't need to know : The Panhard bar was first used on the French Panhard. Panhard et Levassor sold their first automobile in 1890, based on a Daimler engine license.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Track bars, correctly called Panhard bars, control side-to-side movement, which is really horizontal, not vertical.
I will stick with calling it vertical axis. Horizontal would be the same as longitudinal axis and that is what the sway bars control.
At least that is what the movements were called when I got my commercial pilot license.

subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #6

Splitting hairs on a quiet Saturday afternoon....

I wonder if a non-pilot can understand aeronautical terms used to describe motorhome handling dynamics. I think we all agree there is a condition where an end of the motorhome tends to move sideways due to looseness in the front or rear rear suspension, and that this is eliminated by a track bar (Usually at the rear, but also used on solid front axles). While I understand you are saying that, when one end of the vehicle moves sideways, it is actually rotating around it's vertical axis, and a trackbar eliminates the rotation, most people understand the side-to-side movement as horizontal since the motorhome doesn't move up and down. Or, is the vertical axis moving horizontally if the center of gravity is toward the rear of the motorhome.....

When a car is driven at it's limits, and the rear end slides in a corner due to less tire adhesion, it is commonly understood by racing enthusiasts to rotate so I guess a motorhome can be said to rotate (but I want my motorhome dual rear tires to maintain maximum adhesion!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
I will stick with calling it vertical axis. Horizontal would be the same as longitudinal axis and that is what the sway bars control.
At least that is what the movements were called when I got my commercial pilot license.

2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like that plane diagram

Sway bar tries to keep RV vertical (or perpendicular to road.

Track Bar prevents lateral movement (Side to side) what usually happens without them is the front swings a bit right while the rear goes left thus you are now looking to the SIDE of the direction of travel.. Your direction of traval and Longitudial axis no longer match,, So you adjust.. Then the ends swap, So you re-adjust, then they swap again So you re-adjust This is an endless loup.

Add the trac bar and the Body's longitudial axis and the direction of travel.. THE SAME. locked, 100%,, Very nice drive,.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well all I know is that they all work and my ride is much better with them than without. so two
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:59 AM   #9

Just picked up my new coach at LazyDays in Tampa and headed north to MI. I have the new 6 speed tranny and like it. I will post more specifics on the chassis later. I added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and SUMO shocks at the dealership. The SUMO's have virtually eliminated the top heavy side to side rocking going down the road and smoothed out the overall ride quite a bit. However, trucks are still pushing me far too much for my comfort zone. The push I get is just as the cab of the truck is nearly parallel with my drivers seat. It pushes my front end off to the right and I have to steer left to get centered in my lane again. I'm driving at 60mph and these truckers are moving much faster. Weird thing is... not every truck or RV rolling by me push me as badly. Seems my issue is in the front end of the RV and not the rear... Ideas ? Suggestions ?? Thanks Tom Miller Brooklyn, Mi. 49230 tmiller730@frontier.com 2016 Fleetwood Storm 30 L/G

Tom Miller
Brooklyn, Mi. 49230
tmiller730@frontier.com
2016 Fleetwood Storm 30 L/G
Old 01-04-2016, 05:25 AM   #10

A track bar will keep you straight on your track.

Stops the MH from moving right or left while your axle and tires remains on track.

Leaf springs not only bend vertical but can bend horizontal to a lesser degree.

I find that 6 wheel box trucks, like U Haul, push me more then big rigs. Weird.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom,

The amount of lateral movement you are feeling when being approached or passed by another vehicle is entirely dependent on several variables. The direction the prevailing wind is currently traveling is the first variable. The PW (prevailing wind) will not always be consistent. Often we are passing through trees, overpasses and many other things which temporarily block or deflect the PW.

Secondly not every vehicle passing you will push the same wall of wind because that is also dependent on the PW that they are traveling through. The design of their frontal area is also another variable. How close they are to you is also very critical.

I have been blown around from time to time by smaller vehicles and just wondered why it happened.

The third variable is the speed the passing vehicle is traveling. The faster they are traveling pushes the wall of wind faster and it's effect on our MH is greater.

I get the greatest effect just as the semi is approaching my rear end. The wind he's pushing pushes the rear end of our MH to the right which pushes my front to the left and I have to counter that by steering to the right. Honestly since I've done all the MODS I don't often experiencing much or any of that anymore.

The F-53 as stated comes from the factory with a very stout front TB (track bar). I built my rear TB and with the front steering shock, steer safe and Koni shocks all is well.

If you are experiencing more movement as the semi gets parallel to your seat he's pushing a wall of air faster than the wall you are creating. That's deflecting your coach to the right causing you to counteract that by steering to the left.

I'll assume you are on the F-53 chassis. The exact suspension, steering and handling dynamics will vary based on other variables like front end weight and tire pressures. As already stated a rear TB will finish what you'll need. Maybe a steering shock would also assist with frontal movement I don't know for sure but if you don't get the feel you want from a rear TB do the front shock.

I'm jealous that you have the 6-speed.

TeJay