Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #1

What to demand when being towed

We have a 37 foot gasser on a 22,000 chassis. F53 2020. If I need to be towed what kind of equipment should I demand and any other precautions I should look for?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 02:32 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Whatever your manual says. Each coach is different and the same chassis can have different towing requirements in different builds. Your manual should say what the recommended procedure is for yours.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:18 PM   #3

First year into this RV life ,we broke a engine belt outside of Cinn, Ohio in Kentucrty. We have a Winnebago 34T Forza. Called road ins, and wait for wrecker. Shows up and it looks like it will tow anything on the road. He put the arm under the front and locked on to the tires , like a repo wrecker, And lifted coach , rear bumper / tow hitch is 3 " from ground. After adjustments the front bumper is REAL close to the arm. Said it's "OK ". After bouncing down the interstate to the Freightliner dealer, the bumper fiberglass got cracked and chipped as it bounced on the bar . Had taken pic"s before tow and after and Figured I was good. Signed for tow .. ( NOTE TIME AND DATE ) My Insurance paid for repair. Guess they went after tow comp. Now , after the accident in Iowa , I requested a Flat Bed Trailer to tow me 130 miles back to Forrest City for front end cap repairs. Tow shows and was concern about height as he was 3' and I at 13' . Since it was open Iowa there were no overhead worries. Dumped me off a Winnebago's parking lot. That's what you need to tow one of these Class A's. Height will be the problem if going under something on a 3' trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VFER9126.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	354159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	354160  

deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:03 PM   #4

Nasty.
I knew I have a long rear overhang on mine and that it would be an issue for towing. So while I waited for the truck to come I took off my bikes, the bicycle carrier, and then unbolted the receiver hitch from the frame. Plus I unbolted and secured the rear driveshaft. I carry tools enough and a pair of coveralls so it was really no big deal to me. The tow driver was quite pleased to learn that I had gotten ready for him this way and discounted the price of my tow.
Before he selected a truck to come get me he had me send pictures of the coach and up under the front suspension area to be sure of what I had.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:17 PM   #5

Demand a low boy.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Whatever your manual says. Each coach is different and the same chassis can have different towing requirements in different builds. Your manual should say what the recommended procedure is for yours.

Manual what is that? All I got was a bag full of all the components manuals. Coachmen Mirada 35ES 2021z
Old 01-19-2022, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post
Manual what is that? All I got was a bag full of all the components manuals. Coachmen Mirada 35ES 2021z
https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle...owner-manuals/
Old 01-19-2022, 10:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack73 View Post

“We produce a towing manual for all authorized tow truck operators. Have your tow truck operator refer to this manual for proper hook-up and towing procedures for your vehicle.”
Old 01-21-2022, 07:39 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My one tow was a short trip locally from where I had gone to fill up the gas tank to the driveway. The tow operator picked the front end up at the forward leaf spring mounts. No damage or problems but the lowest edge of the house of my 2006 model seems to be a lot higher above the ground than what has come off the assembly line over the years.

And don't forget or let the tow operator forget, once the drive shaft is disconnected you might not have an E-Brake to hold the coach in place anymore depending on the model year of the F53.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1462558218922.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	354372   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00469.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	354373  

Old 01-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You have asked a great question and gotten some good and helpful answers
Old 01-21-2022, 07:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylandorsea View Post
You have asked a great question and gotten some good and helpful answers

Agreed.

But (OK, large BUT) I would back up a step and only consider a tow if all else fails.

Being towed, IMO is a last resort.

Broken belt-- replace it yourself or have a mobile tech do that.

In a quarter million miles in diesel pushers, have I ever been on the side of the road-- YUP. But have never been towed.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Agreed.

But (OK, large BUT) I would back up a step and only consider a tow if all else fails.

Being towed, IMO is a last resort.

Broken belt-- replace it yourself or have a mobile tech do that.

In a quarter million miles in diesel pushers, have I ever been on the side of the road-- YUP. But have never been towed.

Agreed. I was already of that thinking.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
My one tow was a short trip locally from where I had gone to fill up the gas tank to the driveway. The tow operator picked the front end up at the forward leaf spring mounts. No damage or problems but the lowest edge of the house of my 2006 model seems to be a lot higher above the ground than what has come off the assembly line over the years.

And don't forget or let the tow operator forget, once the drive shaft is disconnected you might not have an E-Brake to hold the coach in place anymore depending on the model year of the F53.

Wow he backed into your driveway!

Tags
tow, towed