Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

Wheel Lug Nuts

I have a 2006 Southwind 32vs on the Ford F53 chassis. I just had the tires replaced, and was checking the torque on the lug nuts, and found that 6 of the 8 nuts or studs on each wheel turned. Only 2 would torque down, and they were across from each other. Did the tire place strip the studs out where they are attached to the hub? I would like some ideas before I return to the tire place. Help!
Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If the studs turned get back to the tire shop ASAP.
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #3

Did you take the wheel cover off first? There are two lugs across from each other that hold the cover down and 6 hollow dummy lugs that will just spin if you attempt to turn them.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Did you take the wheel cover off first? There are two lugs across from each other that hold the cover down and 6 hollow dummy lugs that will just spin if you attempt to turn them.
That's exactly your problem.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have the same simulators I have, look for the little notch in the lug, These are the real ones, the others are fake.

Top Photo - Wheel Simulator lugs

Bottom Photo - torquing the lug nuts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheels_Brakes_WheelSimulatorNut.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	93157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheels_Brakes_TorqueWheel.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	93158  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #6

HAHAHAHAHA........This is something I would do!

Aren't you glad it is something laughable instead of something that will cause you anger?

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

Smile

I did not take the wheel covers off, and that is exactly what the problem is. Thank you all for your help, and thank goodness for this forum. Now I can get some sleep tonight.
Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
If you have the same simulators I have, look for the little notch in the lug, These are the real ones, the others are fake.

Top Photo - Wheel Simulator lugs

Bottom Photo - torquing the lug nuts
Excellent picture and explanation! A picture is worth a thousand words!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #9

Removing stainless steel wheel covers

Do yourself a favor and obtain a deep well socket that fits the simulated lugs on your wheel covers. If you don't know what a deep well socket it, ask the salesperson in the store. It will be about 3 to 3 1/2 inches long. Push that completely down on the simulated lug before attempting to remove. The actual steel nut underneath is only about 3/4" thick with a thin stainless steel simulated lug cover over it. If you try to take these off with a regular socket, it will merely spin the thin cover around the nut underneath and ruin the lug nut cover.

Carry the socket with you and show garage personnel how to use it. Then monitor them doing it correctly.

There can be more than two real lug nuts. Look at your wheel closely and check any that have a small dented circle in the outer cover. I have a MH with two real ones on the front wheels and four real ones on the back.

Ask me how I know if you are interested.
tap1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The chrome cover is removable on the two covers. The lug nut covers have dimples on them and are removable. There is a special removal tool that looks like pliers but has rubber covered ends. Or the rig should have come with a "T" shaped wrench, the "T" end is used to remove the cover and the socket end removes the thin cover holding nut.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #11

Removing Chrome Wheel Covers

Mr D is correct in his advice, but my experience has been that the 'T' wrenches supplied are often not strong enough to remove the underlying nut once moisture has rusted it into place; and that they easily round out inside if the nut is tight. The are made of lightly pressed metal. If the T handle works, great. But if it doesn't, you're left high and dry.

The rubber tool to remove the covers works fine if you want to invest in one and carry another somewhat bulky item with you. If you choose to go this route, you can easily see the nut(s) underneath that need to be removed and choose the appropriate tool(s).

A properly sized deep well socket works on everything and I've had no problems with it marring the outside lug nut cover. You just have to make sure it goes all the way down to the wheel cover before you try to turn he lug nut. Once you see how these things work, it's easy to get them off and on. And since most RV'ers probably carry a rachet and extension anyway, one deep well socket is a small addition. You will need a long extension for the rear wheels.

So, either my method or Mr D's works fine. It's really your preference IMHO.

Last piece of advice is to take the covers off and put them on yourself. Tire repair places don't seem to know how to deal with these covers and will invariably put an impact wrench part way over the lug and hit the trigger. My MH has about 8 destroyed covers right now where the previous owner had taken it in and had this happen. I even had a service guy do this right in front of me as I was explaining how to remove the lugs. Hit the trigger before I could even finish my sentence, spun the lug nut cover, and it was destroyed.

These lug nut covers are one of those 'so simple' RV things that can cause a ton of headaches unless you have proper tools and procedures in place.

If I get a chance, I'll try to pull one of my damaged lug nut covers off and take a picture of it and the retaining nuts underneath so people can see how these things work.
tap1946 is offline   Reply With Quote