Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Where do I find starter solenoid and relay on F53 chassis?

Although I could get this 1990.5 with FI 460 to sluggishly start yesterday, yet went out this morning, turned key on and got one click. Put charger on it and turned it up to 40, and it did turn over for a bit, but something started smelling so I backed off of that. New battery this month. Starter appears to be a pain to get out, so wanted to start with solenoid which is not mounted on the starter. I think the relay is up front where the batteries are on the firewall - all connections are tight there. I'd like to see if I can jump the solenoid if wires are tight on it, or else just pull it and replace it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Follow the cable from the starter, it should lead right to the starter solenoid
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

I hear one click coming from up front when I try to start it - and best I can tell it's from this - which I think is the starter relay?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starterrelay.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	135869  
Old 08-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #4

All you have to do to confirm , that's the starter relay is to jump across the two large terminals; if the engine cranks , it's the starter relay.
BUT !!! Check the two big terminals for voltage first , if both have voltage , it may be for a dual battery charging set up. There's a big pile of wiring there ;something that wouldn't ordinarily be added to a starter relay.

JMHO: Slow cranking + smell = starter drag
Old 08-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

With key off, top post has 12.85V, and bottom post has 12.66V. There is a small post underneath which appears to be a ground as I could check to there and got the same readings as grounding to the frame. Extra wires are things like stair motor. Apparently fairly common back in the day. Oh, and the smell was coming from up front, not behind me where starter is.

Do you think I should try to jump the two big posts with a screwdriver?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starterrelay1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	135876  
Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #6

If you have power to both big terminals ;it's not the starter relay , the difference in voltage is the one reading is from your chassis battery and the other is from the coach batteries, that's a charge system relay, that will connect both sets of batteries to the alternator when the engine is running..
For the starter relay , you're going to have to keep looking.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post

CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to pull back a little and so we can see more items in the photos.

The starter relay in a 1992 is located as in the image below inside the dog house. I do not know if a 1990 is the same or not.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #9

The entire grounding issue turned out to be something rather unusual. At least according to the guy who bought it last night. Although I couldn't even get the engine to turn over Sunday, it still somewhat sluggishly came to life last night. But as the new owner was backing up to head out of the yard, the line from power steering fluid tank to the pump blew out at the pump. After modification with a dremel tool and a couple of hose clamps, it was ready to go. The first thing the new owner noticed when he asked his friend to fire it up was it was smoking right where he made the repair on that steel braided line at the pump. Said he's only ever seen this once before - but that was the ground problem. He borrowed my jumper cables - clamped on to the braided line with one ground clamp, to the chassis with the other ground clamp and the Bounder fired up like brand new - not sluggish or anything.

Tags
chassis, f53, solenoid, starter