RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 05:44 AM   #1

Where’s the number one spark plug?

Yikes! New to all this, wife and I bought a 1989 Ford Mobile Traveler, 27 ft. has a e350 v8 7.5L. Didn’t run, had to drain out 40+ gal bad gas, clean and gap spark plugs. Figured out how to get to number 2 and five I can maybe get to with extensions through the fender-well, but any ideas as to where’s number one?
I got it running, missing like hell, so hoping if I can cleanup or replace numbers 1 and 5 maybe it’ll run better!
Nice rig looks like everything is almost new inside, don’t know much about em, got it for $1000!
Also, if anyone knows where I can get an owners manual, I got nothing.
Thanks
The Neal’s
anealgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #2

I know that some of this goes without saying but do a compression test, replace all the plugs and wires, all filters, cap, rotor.
Have you checked the air filter for mouse nests?
Check all fuel hoses for hardness, cracking.
Repl all belts, hoses after you get it running properly.
Check dates on tires.
Check all brake lines, hoses and the brakes themselves before driving.
Repl all fluids.
I know this may sound a little overwhelming but remember, YOU EAT AN ELEPHANT ONE BITE AT A TIME.
Testing and checking things is a lot less costly than just replacing parts.
Stay safe and enjoy the ride.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #3

Often plugs are difficult to reach, guess you've figured it out already. Different length ratchet extensions and universals help. My suggestion would be if your going thru a big effort removing, cleaning and replacing plugs i'd put new one's in. Plugs for an 89 aren't hi-tech expensive. Be careful pulling off the wires from the plugs, wires may be brittle.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Click image for larger version

Name:	7_5.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	305478
Old 10-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Remember that on any V configured engine (V-4, V-6, V-8 or V-10 there are two connecting rods installed on one crankshaft bearing. That means one piston will be located closer to the front than the other one. The front one piston and spark plug or ignition coil in the case of a COP design as on the V-10 will ahead of or closer to the front of the engine than the other. That's NUMBER 1 piston. You can visually determine the location of one plug and it is slightly ahead of the other one.

Now that I think about it I honestly can't remember if I ever worked on a V configured engine that had one bearing per connecting rod. My guess is there are none. WHY? Adding more metal to a block and crankshaft to allow 2 rods per bearing saves engine length and weight. Having one rod per bearing does the opposite. Saving weight is important for fuel economy.

If by some chance there is one V engine configured with one rod per bearing there will still be one piston & spark plug ahead of the other and again that's still NUMBER 1 piston.

We seldom these days have an RV engine that is less than 8 cylinders. If there just happened to be an in-line 6 cylinder then again the front most piston is NUMBER 1.

In all my years working on engines I have never seen this idea varied/violated.

I on the other hand have not worked on an engine rebuild since my retirement in 2006 so maybe things have changed. I, if you like, can check with a local machine shop who are still regularly if not daily re-building many, many engines.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #6

Thank You to everyone who replied

Thanks for taking the time to answer my querrt. Yea, the wires I had to pry off the plugs with a pry bar. Finally got to number 1 plug with swivel socket and extensions had to go through the passenger fender well for number 2, and bent the dog house for number 5! I don't think this RV has ever had a tune up, with the amount of rust on the plugs, I think they gotta be the originals!Well, I’m gonna check the fluids, belts, wires, and hoses now that I know it’ll run and I can move it closer to my house to work on it.I also tried firing up the generator but it only sputtered then died. Doesn't it have a choke? And where does the gas come from or where do you put the gas in at?
The tires on it are new so that was a plus.
The only issues it has, or had was the stale gas and the guy we got it from put in a new fuel pump, filters and lines, and the back window was broken out, don’ know how or why that happened.
Needless to say we’ve got some work to do just going over all of the systems to be sure they are good to go. But whats life but an adventure, and its just my wife and I so we can take our time.
I aleo want to say thanks to everyone who responded to my post, I appreciate all the support.
And please if anybody knows where we can get or download an owners/operators manual leave a link. Thanks Tony and Michele Neal
anealgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your fuel system should be clean following all the work the PO did with changing the fuel pump, and lines etc. That however does not assure that the fuel in the generator was also flushed. It would be advisable to remove the carburetor and clean it.

Most all RV's with a generator get the fuel from the engines tank at a level not below the last quarter tank of fuel. Obviously preventing one from running our of fuel by burning the generator to long.