Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #1

Which front steering stabilizer???

2012 F53, 26,000 chaises. Any preference for a front S. S. Looking at Super Steer, SafeTPlus, Ultra Trac and R. M. Exact Center S. S. Any good or bad experiences with these? I think the question is kind of like " do you prefer Vanilla or French Vanila ice cream"
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2023, 08:09 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I have the roadmaster, and have had no issues with it.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:32 PM   #3

I have the SafTPlus and it works well for me. Have no experience with any others.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Exact Center 300 PSI on 26K F53, 2021 Tiffin Open Road. This greatly improved the steering, handling, and wind reactions. Also have 140PSI Exact Center on 2021 Jeep Wrangler JL TOAD. Happy with both.
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:12 AM   #5

I have a safetplus and have had no problems. However, understand that these devices are not the miracle cure their sales pitches claim. If you are dealing with truck push get a track bar, dealing with loose steering get a good alignment.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:44 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When my 2020 Thor was new it wandered a LOT. I bought a Safe- T-Plus and installed it myself. It didn’t help much. I later found out my kingpins had never been greased! After greasing the kingpins, the wandering was gone, but I left the Safe- T-Plus on for another 15,000 miles, even though I never liked the way it held the steering wheel centered and required more effort to move it. Last summer I removed the Safe- T-Plus and after driving 2,000 miles now with it off, I will never put it back on. It does what it is supposed to do, but in most circumstances it made driving more difficult.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:45 AM   #7

blueridge, I don't have a real steering problem, it handles great after I did the CHF. I'm more concerned about a tire blow out. Have 2 friends that had rear blow outs lately and it makes me think what would happen if???
Old 01-29-2023, 08:54 AM   #8
Community Moderator

My 2021 F53 chassis had a Safe-T-Pls sterering stabilizer. Added a SuperSteer rear track bar and second rear anti-way bar.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:41 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the steer safe which if memory serves me correctly is designed to provide spring centering forces in the case of a front tire blow out. Those springs also assist in keeping the steering wheel centered while driving. When you turn the steering wheel the springs stretch and therefore assist the return some what.

The centering of the steering wheel is not the main concern of Steer-Safe it's safety in a FT blow out. I'm sure the Road Master listed below will also assist in the driving safety in case of a blow out.

We also have a Road Master steering stabilizer spring and shock absorber set. The RM adds a great deal more centering spring tension due to the springs size. The shock absorber dampens the movement of the steering wheel due to sudden wind gusts no matter how they are created. It does a great job and 95% of the time my driving is not the least bit stressful.

Based on the two steering stabilizer systems it does limit my turning radius a bit but that only comes into play in about 1 to 2% of my driving. Pulling out of our driveway which has a turn of greater than 90 degrees requires me to back up 2-4 ' just once. The little inconvenience is nothing compared to how much the driving/handling is improved.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:20 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
We have the steer safe which if memory serves me correctly is designed to provide spring centering forces in the case of a front tire blow out. Those springs also assist in keeping the steering wheel centered while driving. When you turn the steering wheel the springs stretch and therefore assist the return some what.

The centering of the steering wheel is not the main concern of Steer-Safe it's safety in a FT blow out. I'm sure the Road Master listed below will also assist in the driving safety in case of a blow out.

We also have a Road Master steering stabilizer spring and shock absorber set. The RM adds a great deal more centering spring tension due to the springs size. The shock absorber dampens the movement of the steering wheel due to sudden wind gusts no matter how they are created. It does a great job and 95% of the time my driving is not the least bit stressful.

Based on the two steering stabilizer systems it does limit my turning radius a bit but that only comes into play in about 1 to 2% of my driving. Pulling out of our driveway which has a turn of greater than 90 degrees requires me to back up 2-4 ' just once. The little inconvenience is nothing compared to how much the driving/handling is improved.
Steer safe works great. On our 1999 Dutch Star. Easy install if you are handy. On for 7 yrs with zero problems. Would highly recommend it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221030_141209304_HDR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	385299
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:49 PM   #11
NXR

I read everything I could about steering stabilizers find when we got our gasser. The only consensus was that any of them was a lot better than nothing.

The best one is the one you that's in stock.

Ray
Old 01-29-2023, 07:34 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just so I can get up to speed with these front stabilizers, I was wondering what happen to Blue-Ox's entry "Tru-Center"? I liked the feature it had where you could fine tune it from the cockpit. Are there any current stabilizers with a feature similar to that?
Are there any solutions other than Safe-T-Plus or Roadmaster's Reflex Steering Stabilizer?
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:19 AM   #13

I have the Roadmaster since 2016 and 36000 miles. Very happy with it and night and day performance improvement in the steering sloppiness of the F53 22k chassis.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:27 AM   #14

When we had our Class A, there was no SafeTPlus steering stabilizer available for the chassis. So we had the SteerSafe.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering