Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2022, 03:00 PM   #1

Which Mod After the Safe-T-Plus?

2014 Winnebago Vista V10 (F-53) 30T GVWR 18K.

God I love mods...OK, so I just ordered the Safe-T-Plus (Thanks to all the posts I have read and reviews) now on to the next chassis mod. Which should I install after the Safe-T-Plus? It probably doesn't matter, but you folks have more experience then me.

Here is my list of mods, not

1) Safe-T-Plus (on order)
2) SumoSprings (Front)
3) SuperSteer Track Bar (Rear)
4) Koni FSD Shocks All 4

TIA
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 04:04 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
For me the CHF was the first thing I did and couldn't beat the price.

I wanted more so then I added larger front and the rear secondary rear sway bar from Hellwig. I would recommend doing the rear first that is where the weight is. Best bang for the buck.

Did the trac bar and it did help some but not overly impressed.

I felt that the cost of the Sumos were not worth it, they just didn't make enough difference to be cost effective for me.

Last add-on was the STP. Some days I think I might as well take it off.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
For me the CHF was the first thing I did and couldn't beat the price.

I wanted more so then I added larger front and the rear secondary rear sway bar from Hellwig. I would recommend doing the rear first that is where the weight is. Best bang for the buck.

Did the trac bar and it did help some but not overly impressed.

I felt that the cost of the Sumos were not worth it, they just didn't make enough difference to be cost effective for me.

Last add-on was the STP. Some days I think I might as well take it off.
Thank you RRR....I will check out the Hellwig products. Was just watching a YT video on the Roadmaster...but they are pricey.. Although I like they are made in the US. Much appreciated.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a class C. I did an alignment first, steering stabilizer second, koni fsd shocks third, upgraded helwig sway bars fourth, then the track bar last. Each item improved the handling. I would say the order I installed them the track bar works great to stabilize the rear and the sway bars helped a lot with side movement, The shocks were a pretty decent ride improvement. The alignment helped with drivability and steering corrections going straight down the highway. The steering stabilizer was not an improvement but it was done more for safety concerns with a front blowout.

I would go with sway bars or track bar first especially if towing. I can't comment on the sumo springs.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
I have a class C. I did an alignment first, steering stabilizer second, koni fsd shocks third, upgraded helwig sway bars fourth, then the track bar last. Each item improved the handling. I would say the order I installed them the track bar works great to stabilize the rear and the sway bars helped a lot with side movement, The shocks were a pretty decent ride improvement. The alignment helped with drivability and steering corrections going straight down the highway. The steering stabilizer was not an improvement but it was done more for safety concerns with a front blowout.

I would go with sway bars or track bar first especially if towing. I can't comment on the sumo springs.
Thank you Charles...I appreciate it..
Old 01-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #6

Konis and Rare HD Stabilizer

After the steering bar I went with Koni's than a Road Master HD rear sway bar. I can't say the results were remarkable but there was improvement. What I notice most is way more control when on sweeping turns going 55-65. Much calmer and I can relax my hand on the steering wheel much more. I do not plan on doing any additional chassis upgrades.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
After the steering bar I went with Koni's than a Road Master HD rear sway bar. I can't say the results were remarkable but there was improvement. What I notice most is way more control when on sweeping turns going 55-65. Much calmer and I can relax my hand on the steering wheel much more. I do not plan on doing any additional chassis upgrades.
Thank you for your comments. Wow! Just checked on the Roadmaster HD SB $700...Konis all 4 $1500...Safe-T-Steer $600...Were the Konis that much better?
Old 01-19-2022, 05:30 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Koni's for me made a great difference.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:51 PM   #9

MTC

The Safety Plus is a no brainer. Hope you never need it's main benefit. The Koni's seem to be an all around favorite on the forum, regardless of rig. I got lucky my W22 came with both. The other thing it has is four corner air bags.
I think the bags help quit a bit. After reading many other post, I'm not alone in this. Helps to not only soften ride, but improves other handling issues as well. The rear trac bar is probable the only other thing I might add. Not totally sure that it's needed on my rig. All rigs are different. Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:04 PM   #10

Front end alignment. More caster!
Old 01-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Front end alignment. More caster!
x2 .... +6 degrees or more.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Installed the Safe T Stabilizer last August on our 35' Adventurer made a world of difference on our S Dakota trip about 3000 miles on our 35' Adventurer. A real pleasure to drive trucks & the cross winds didn't affect us near so much. I don't feel I need any more mods, as I really don't like spending the $$$ unless it's really needed.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:36 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This might work better and a little easier on your budget. Do 1-4 now and evaluate the ride and performance before moving on to 5-8.

1. Tire pressures correct for normal load weight
2. Alignment checked/set with normal load weight
3. CHF completed front/rear (comparable to adding an after market bar)
4. Rear sway bar bushings replaced if necessary

5. Koni Shocks
6. Rear Track Bar
7. Steering Stab
8. Sumo Springs

Understand the primary and secondary effects of each line item. Do one at a time and then drive the coach a thousand miles in different conditions and roads to determine if the coach is performing to your satisfaction and potentially nothing further is needed. And if you can't install the mods your costs will escalate very quickly with shop labor rates for heavy vehicle work.

I've done all listed except the Sumo springs as I have air bags instead. CHP and the Koni shocks had the greatest effect on over all ride performance and comfort. The Rear track bar eliminate tail wag from passing vehicles and moderate weather. The airbags restored a level ride height once loaded and some reduction of suspension bottoming with poor roads. Not much improvement with the steering stab but its more of a safety devices should I loose a steer tire. Coach hold's its lane well and ride comfort is pretty good. 500 miles days behind the wheel are not a problem.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:28 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
2014 Winnebago Vista V10 (F-53) 30T GVWR 18K.

God I love mods...OK, so I just ordered the Safe-T-Plus (Thanks to all the posts I have read and reviews) now on to the next chassis mod. Which should I install after the Safe-T-Plus? It probably doesn't matter, but you folks have more experience then me.

Here is my list of mods, not

1) Safe-T-Plus (on order)
2) SumoSprings (Front)
3) SuperSteer Track Bar (Rear)
4) Koni FSD Shocks All 4

TIA
For me, I prioritized handling over ride when it came to the mods. I’d do the Supersteer trac bar next. Pretty easy user install and eliminated most of the sway and rear-end wag. To me, made a more noticeable improvement than anything else I did.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote