Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 06:56 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Winnebago Shim Kit

I have heard that Winnebago provided a shim kit for the rear axle who complained of a "leaning motorhome.
Many seem to lean due to poor weight distribution and specifically a Vista/Sunstar 27n.
If anyone had this done to their Winnie, please let me know the specifics. I asked a local shop about this and they said they were not comfortable doing it unless it was provided by Winnebago. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
D20
Community Moderator

I know this doesn’t answer your question, but my rig has a shim on the passenger side rear axle that was installed by Ford as part of the production process at Newmar.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
I know this doesn’t answer your question, but my rig has a shim on the passenger side rear axle that was installed by Ford as part of the production process at Newmar.
Thanks for that. Interesting! You read so many mixed messages when it comes to a leaning motorhome due to weight imbalance. Good to hear that Newmar did it right before delivery of the unit. I'm guessing by looking at your floor plan it is on the right side? Can you estimate the thickness of the shim?
Old 09-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
D20
Community Moderator

Yes it is on the right side. Right where the refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc are located. I know that side is heavier as those tires consistently run a little bit warmer.

I haven’t measure the shim but it is probably about 1” thick.

Have you checked with Rush Ford or Josam Alignment (both in Orlando) to find out if they would install one?
Old 09-14-2021, 05:52 AM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
Yes it is on the right side. Right where the refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc are located. I know that side is heavier as those tires consistently run a little bit warmer.

I haven’t measure the shim but it is probably about 1” thick.

Have you checked with Rush Ford or Josam Alignment (both in Orlando) to find out if they would install one?
No, I haven't checked except for the one place which is more of a heavy truck service and tire shop. I have another local place I'm going to stop in and talk to about it. If not I may have to travel to Orlando. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #6
D20
Community Moderator

I was under my rig today and snapped a photo of the shim. I measured it and it is 1” thick. I have also included a photo of the drivers side (with no shim) for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47EE8CE8-B92A-4E55-AA4B-08D0FD1B3C93.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	343311   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD7B8115-1A2E-49AF-8F9B-C7F59BC4D7BA.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	343312  

Old 09-16-2021, 07:35 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
D20, thanks much for sharing. I've been in touch with the place near Orlando. They haven't seen the rig yet but per our conversation he said if it needs more than an inch the add a leaf. Most likely I'll be taking it to them.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:18 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a shim added to our 23' Tioga back in the late 70's. Took the RV to our winter storage lot (Oct thru late March). When I went back it was obviously leaning to the right. Took it to a spring shop and they just added a 2" shim. Stayed level until we sold it. Worked just fine. Still not sure why it suddenly started lean over a winters storage period.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I asked a local shop about this and they said they were not comfortable doing it unless it was provided by Winnebago. Thanks.

You need to find another shop. Any truck chassis/suspension shop can do this and probably does several times a week.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:59 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
My Winnebago Vista Lx came with it. I found it when installing a Hellwig Sway bar and noticed that the the U bolt nuts didn't thread on as far on the passenger side. Looks like about an inch.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
jdpm,

Some shops are just stupid when it comes to certain items. What are you going to do sue because your RV flipped over after they added a 1" shim??? What can possible happen or go wrong if they added a 1" shim???? There's being careful then there's being stupid careful. As suggested just find another shop that really understands what they are doing.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:30 PM   #12

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
jdpm,

Some shops are just stupid when it comes to certain items. What are you going to do sue because your RV flipped over after they added a 1" shim??? What can possible happen or go wrong if they added a 1" shim???? There's being careful then there's being stupid careful. As suggested just find another shop that really understands what they are doing.
Agreed. I'm going to take it to Josam in Orlando. He said if it needs more than an inch then an additional leaf would need to be added. They have very good reviews. Not convenient but great reviews.

Tags
winnebago