Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #1

Wipers pause in the middle on intermittent - work fine on low and high

My wipers pause exactly in the middle of the stroke when on "intermittent". On the next stroke they continue the first stroke, return to the base position, start the next stroke, and pause again in the middle.

Washer pump also works fine, but during the last stroke of the wipe cycle (3 times?) the wipers stay in the middle again.

After I installed a new motor it seemed that for a bit the wipers hesitated in the middle on low and high (continuous settings), but I am not seeing that anymore and they are working as expected in those modes now.

By the way, during testing I'm keeping the windshield wet with a garden hose.

Background story:

My motorhome (2008 Four Winds/Thor Hurricane 34B) failed the annual VA inspection. According the inspector they only worked on high and didn't properly return to the base position when he turned them off.

They had been working fine during our 4-month trip this summer so I was a bit surprised about the finding. The inspector did run the wipers on a dry windshield since the washer fluid was out.

I removed and checked the linkage - it moves relatively freely. Took out the motor and bench-tested it. Since it ran at about 2/3 of the specifications I opened it up, but didn't see anything suspicious. Ordered and installed a new motor. Unfortunately I inverted one of the linkage pivots, which caused the assembly to bind for a bit. Not sure if this damaged the motor.
Disconnected the linkage again to test the motor after that - not seeing or hearing any problems.

This is on a 2007 Ford F53 chassis.
Black-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #2

Adding a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wipers hesitating and stopping in the middle of the stroke.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	378163  
Old 10-08-2022, 04:13 PM   #3

Did a bit more troubleshooting.
  1. Replaced the wiper module - no change.
  2. If I run the wipers without the engine running I'm getting 12.5V from the battery. This is when they fairly consistently get stuck in the middle.
  3. If I run the engine the wipers tend to hesitate in the middle but don't necessarily get stuck in the middle. Wondering if the 13.5V I'm getting with the engine running makes the difference.
  4. It looks like it's happening only on intermittent. However, if I run them on (continuous) low speed and turn them off just after they start a new sweep but before they reach the middle, the wipers get stuck in the middle. This makes me suspect the park feature isn't functioning properly.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:42 PM   #4

The "park switch" in the wiper motor is failing.
You may be able to disassemble the motor and clean the contacts.
Also check for ware on the cam and and switch lifter. Maybe an adjustment will work?

Richard

Tags
wipers