Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #1

Workhorse W24 to Ford F53 chassis

Looking for some insight on my potential move from a 2005 37' Newmar to a new Tiffin or Newmar on the Ford chassis. The new coach will be of similar length. Our plans are to head west from New England and tour some of the western mountainous area of the country. Note, please don't recommend a diesel, we are not interested and are seeking input on using your Ford chassis to tour the country.

I am looking for input from those who previously had a Workhorse chassis and have made the move to the new Ford chassis and what differences you found. How much difference climbing hills and more importantly how well does the V10 and six speed hold back the coach on downhill runs? I am aware of the tow/haul mode issue, however that issue now appears to be resolved.

I have done a lot of reading on handling improvements and the Ford chassis appears to respond well to Sumo springs and other chassis components. My current W24 has a front track bar and safe steer. I also recently added Koni shocks, which made a big difference in the ride. It doesn't ride like a Cadillac but it is acceptable.

Thanks for any insights and experiences.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

I will be interested in the response you get. We have been debating a new Newmar but I am really happy with the performance and handling of my W24 chassis.

I hope you get some reports from past owners of W24 and their thoughts about the Ford chassis. I'm thinking it would need to be the 26k chassis to compare it too?
Old 09-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

The Newmar we are looking at is on the 26K chassis, the Tiffin is on the 24K chassis. I do follow a young couple on "less junk>more journey" and they are currently traveling in Colorado. He seems to very pleased with the performance of his Ford powered Newmar 38' coach.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

We are going to Tampa show. Couldn't make Hershey, wife had knee replaced last month and still in therapy. Honestly, I'm still debating the cost difference versus performance and livability. If we are going to trade, now that I'm at the 10 year mark it might be the right time. Lots of mental gymnastics trying to decide. Seemed a lot easier when I bought this one 4 years ago........
Old 09-17-2016, 07:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Looking for some insight on my potential move from a 2005 37' Newmar to a new Tiffin or Newmar on the Ford chassis. ....
I went from a 2004 National Seabreeze LX on a Workhorse 22K chassis to a 2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road on an F53 24k chassis. The Allegro is longer and heavier which makes some difference, I'm sure. My observations:

1. Both chassis get the job done.
2. The F53 gets about 1 mpg worse mileage. Average on a western states tour has been 7.0 at best, towing a car.
3. The V10 is a high rpm engine. Get used to it. It is going to roar.
4. I have the 5 speed transmission in the F53. There seem to be big jumps in the ratios from 3 to 4 to 5. Quite often the hill is somewhere in between gears where the lower gear is too low and the next higher gear is too high. The 6 speed might help with this. Also there is a tuning modification that helps with engine and transmission performance.
5. The 34TGA model that I have seems much more stable than the Seabreeze. It has a long wheel base, which helps. I did add a steering stabilizer for safety reasons, but no other changes. I do get wobble when I go over transitions at an angle (like into a gas station) but I know it is going to happen so I go slow. There is a lot of discussion about how to improve this.
All things considered, the two chassis have clear differences, but they both go down the road pretty good. The western mountains are a challenge for a gas motorhome, but I have yet to find a hill I can't get up or down while towing a car. Yes, sometimes it is at 4500 rpm and 35 miles per hour.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #6

Workhorse W24 to Ford F53 chassis

Thanks for the insight. Not sure my W24 would do any better on mileage out west. Do you know what the redline is on the V10?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #7

With the 6-sp trans, the engine is rated at 320 hp@ 4000 rpm and 450 ftlbs @ 3,000 rpm. Max engine rpm is still listed at 5,250 rpm. With the 18,000 lb chassis, 60 mph is 1,800 rpm.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #8

You will not have any problems with the Ford chassis. The engines are bullet proof, especially the V-10s I've had three of them and had no issues with any of them. This is why Ford has survived in the RV market and others not. And take what you read here with a grain of salt. These after-market suspension/performance vendors try to sell you this stuff to solve problems that most likely aren't there. I recommend you test drive the coach that you intend to buy. If there are handling problems, which I highly doubt, don't buy it and ask to drive another. All of my motorhomes with the exception of the old narrow track 460 powered one, handled just fine. There is plenty of power too. Save your money on this stuff, it's just snake oil. Load 'er up and go camping and enjoy life.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hi vettenuts
i did a similar post (we had the gm engine in our 2009 itasca suncruiser). we've been fine with ford engine (2015 tiffin allegro 36la). not sure the ford "roars" that much louder. mileage might be a little lower.
cheers,
pdq
Old 09-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some have talked about, "Well you're driving a motor home you have to get use to it." Or, "It's a box on wheels and will never ride well."

Yes some seat time is needed to adjust to the engine, width, length, height, turning characteristics and riding when the wind is blowing. The drivers seat time and previous experiences with larger vehicles will effect the comfort level and adjustment times as well.

When a gust of wind real or created by a semi hit's your rig and blows you off the road that's not something to get use to. I think that's called, "White knuckle driving" and besides becoming exhausted that's not something that a lot of seat time will help. It can be improved with some MODS and or aftermarket fixes.

It's not snake oil and it's also not a lot of $$$$$ in the grand ($150,000 RV) scheme of things.

TOPIC!! Yes every coach is different based on all the variables involved so it matters not to much on who made it but how those variables (weight, loading, length, tires, shocks,etc, etc) are arranged and how the combination effects the ride and handling of the coach. A good long test drive in the wind and on bad roads is the only way to determine the ride.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just picked up our 2016 Adventurer 35P on a stock 24K Ford Chassis. What a HUGE difference from my good ole W20 Workhorse, with front and rear torsion bars and Safety-Plus. Also 19.5 to 22.5 wheels.

Drove from Phoenix to Sacramento, via Hwy 395, lots of hills along the way. Was into the second day before I realized that I barely noticed passing traffic. Steering wheel VERY calm! Plenty of power. With the W20, never felt like I needed more power.

Took a while to get used to downshift when downhill and touching brakes. Got to where I like it. No electric fan noise when temps rise. Cockpit is quieter as well, less engine noise. So far, VERY happy!
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Driver View Post
Just picked up our 2016 Adventurer 35P on a stock 24K Ford Chassis. What a HUGE difference from my good ole W20 Workhorse, with front and rear torsion bars and Safety-Plus. Also 19.5 to 22.5 wheels.

Drove from Phoenix to Sacramento, via Hwy 395, lots of hills along the way. Was into the second day before I realized that I barely noticed passing traffic. Steering wheel VERY calm! Plenty of power. With the W20, never felt like I needed more power.

Took a while to get used to downshift when downhill and touching brakes. Got to where I like it. No electric fan noise when temps rise. Cockpit is quieter as well, less engine noise. So far, VERY happy!

Thanks for the feedback, I have read that the 2016 models were quieter for some reason than earlier years. At least that seems to be the owner feedback.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not to change the subject, but there is going to be a very lucky person who buys your RV because I'll bet it was well cared for!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:44 AM   #14

Thanks. It does get TLC but it is showing some age. I still like it very much so it will take a coach that has most of the things we are looking for to pry it out of my hands.

Tags
chassis, f53, ford, workhorse