Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2021, 09:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2004 Safari Panther travel mode ride height.

My recently purchased coach is on a Roadmaster S chassis with a tag. The manual says height measurements on bags should be 9" front and rear. The current measurement of the front bags on the rear axle is at 10" and the rear bags seem to be about 2" shorter.Aall bags on the front are at 9". The whole coach appears to be too high. The front of the coach appears to be about 1" higher than the rear if measured off of a level line on the body.
I got under it today and tried to lower the ride height with the leveling valves using the method described in the manual of loosening the arm from the lever. I bottomed out the adjustment in the slot and was still about 1/2" too high at the rear. The only other way to adjust it down would be to shorten the rod. This situation seems odd to me unless a previous owner installed longer rods trying to increase ride height. I haven't done anything with the front yet and looking for a reality check on what I've found so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Greg R.
PT-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you lowering bags air then returning to travel, move coach a mile or so then re check?
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have not. I was following the instructions in the Safari owners manual. It didn't mention that, but I'll have to give it a try.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Well, Big surprise for me today. I found that my odd measurements were a result of the dreaded cracked vertical trailing arm issue. Mine are completely broken on both sides and look to have been broken for quite some time. I thought that this was an issue only with the RR8 and RR10 chassis so wasn't even looking for it on my RRS. Also found the front two shocks had broken off the upper mounting studs and we pushing into the floor. Once I pulled them off I found that the upper eyes were elongated like the shock had been repeatedly pulled into full extension. I realized after finding the break that the vertical trailing arms are not actually vertical right now which is inducing a roll in the axle tube and throwing the H frame out of level. Thus the difference in measurement of the height of the front and rear bags on the same axle. I didn't know that they were the same bags and should all be about the same height. Remember I haven't owned this coach for even a month yet, so I'm learning a lot in a hurry. Anyway, now onto the fix. There are plenty of good threads covering repairs and Monaco's gusset upgrade to the 2008 and newer units. I'm planning to get started tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:56 AM   #5

Ohh what a bummer! Post some pics if you can, good luck with the fix!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Best of luck on your repair and reinforcement.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
Ohh what a bummer! Post some pics if you can, good luck with the fix!
Here's what it looks like.

First one is passenger side, second is driver's.

Only 55,000 miles on this unit. Looks like it has been this way for 10,000 miles, the way the passenger side is worn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210525_090606.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	329505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210525_090620.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	329506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210525_090639.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	329507  
Old 05-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Best of luck on your repair and reinforcement.
Thanks, Mike. Seeing how others have done it makes me feel more confident. Almost took it to a shop this morning, but I hate wondering about how good of a job they will do.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-Tech View Post
Thanks, Mike. Seeing how others have done it makes me feel more confident. Almost took it to a shop this morning, but I hate wondering about how good of a job they will do.
Yeah, like you, I'd rather do it myself to ensure the welds are burned in good and the repair is done properly.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #10

Those are really fixable. Crazy how they broke like that though. Must be some serious forces being applied there. Thanks for sharing pics!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the pictures, gives me more place to look for problems.

I do almost all my own maintenance and have recently crawled under my rig front to back. I always look at the welds on the vertical supports on the axle itself as this is where there have been multiple failures.

Now I just have to look up.

But I don't weld, wish I could but never learned and something like this you need someone than knows what their doing. Hopefully I won't have to look for someone.

Good luck on the repair!
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I recently had this repair done and it took a lot of phone calls before I found someone willing (not just able) to do it. Many didnít want to take on the liability. But I finally called a big rig shop who did it without hesitation. This shop routinely cut and either lengthened or shortened big rig trailer frames and did a perfect job. Pretty reasonable too. Good luck. It is very fixable.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #13

And, likely an old-time (i.e. OLD) welder can weld in a plate to sister/reinforce the broken areas.

Were it mine, that is exactly what I would do. Look for a welder with over 40 years experience to repair (vs new guys who would say replace).
Old 05-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
For mine they ended up fixing the break with a v-joint, they also inserted a solid steel bar into the tube, drilled four holes into the tube and welded the steel bar to the tube through the holes. They finished it off with a 3/8" gusset along the rear of the tube.

Tags
air-bags, ride height, shock mount, travel

« Front Airbags | - »