Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #1

2005 Safari Cheetah with rr4r chassis front bottoms out on bridge transitions

Hi everyone I'm a newer pusher owner. My 2005 safari is thudding hard probably bottoming out on rough bumps or bridge transitions. The shocks are very old but I'm skeptical just shocks will fix this. The air bag's look old but hold air well seemingly. Any ideas for me and thoughts if shocks alone can fix this? I've looked underneath for signs of any breakage nothing obvious. Thanks alot for help!
63mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would start there!

Mike
Old 11-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63mopar View Post
Hi everyone I'm a newer pusher owner. My 2005 safari is thudding hard probably bottoming out on rough bumps or bridge transitions. The shocks are very old but I'm skeptical just shocks will fix this. The air bag's look old but hold air well seemingly. Any ideas for me and thoughts if shocks alone can fix this? I've looked underneath for signs of any breakage nothing obvious. Thanks alot for help!
A couple of things
- Check if your rear trailing arms are not bent or broken ( there was a recall on this)
- Check your ride height both front and rear
- If these are the original shocks, they are overdue since a long time, but shocks are not preventing bottoming out since they are more single action. They compress easily and extend slowly to prevent the MH to oscillate.

Hoping it helps.

P.s. I had a Cayman on a rr4r and putting 4 Bilstein shocks was a big improvement. I also had my trailing arms reinforced
Dynasty_09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #4

Thank you !
63mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mine's a close relative of yours and I have no such problem. I did replace my rear trailing arms, but the shocks are still original. Tires aired to placard limits, 105 front and 95 rear.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #6

Unhappy Trailing Arm Problems

I have the same rig - Safari Cheetah 40SRT, and experiencing the same problem. On a recent trip, the left rear trailing arm broke after I had gone over a small curb. I'm planning on replacing the trailing arms with Source Engineering product, and also installing their Ride Enhancement Kit.
desertcob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:48 PM   #7

Ahhh, bridge transitions. . .

After 9000 miles and 28 states, I'm surprised my upper cabinets are still attached.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Roadmaster RR4 Suspension Bottoming

On our 05 Safari Cheetah 36PDD, the rear trailing arms had been replaced with the Source Engineering units prior to our 2015 purchase. Nonetheless, all bridge approaches and departures were frightening in their violence - it felt like we went air-born then crashed back to earth. In 2016, I installed the the Source Engineering ride enhancement kit with larger airbags, ping tank and Bilstein shocks. This completely transformed the coach from a white knuckle horror to a comfortable and confident driving experience. It was a lot of work for someone past 70, but by going slow, nearly any able-bodied person could do it. If you have any 2001 to 2007 Roadmaster RR4 chassis, you should make sure your original rear trailing arms have been replaced with something beefier, and you should strongly consider the Source Engineering Ride Enhancement kit.
Fredred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:35 PM   #9

Koni shocks and new front tires will cut those 6.0's to a mild 4.5 . Something about bridge abutments and motorhomes.
shootist is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis