Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2023, 04:49 PM   #1

ABS

I am not sure if this questions belongs to chassis - but my RR4R the ABS light has always been on. A guy fixing my air brakes said he could hear that that the "controller was not cycling" and it was not his speciality - question is where is the best place to take it for analysis and possible repair ? Truck place maybe ?
Thanks.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2023, 06:12 PM   #2

This is my diagnostic port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	387035  
Old 02-24-2023, 07:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What does your manual say about ABS

Mine has a pretty good description and explains how to recover fault codes. I have a diagnostic module in my front drivers electrical bay. There is a small button with a LED next to it. I follow the procedure to get the fault codes and the LED will blink in specific sequence that provides the fault code.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
What does your manual say about ABS

Mine has a pretty good description and explains how to recover fault codes. I have a diagnostic module in my front drivers electrical bay. There is a small button with a LED next to it. I follow the procedure to get the fault codes and the LED will blink in specific sequence that provides the fault code.
I will look tomorrow thanks Jim. You know, when it's not 10 degrees lol.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP said "but my RR4R the ABS light has always been on"

It's been on for the past 19 years or so?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 11:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
OP said "but my RR4R the ABS light has always been on"

It's been on for the past 19 years or so?
Yes that is exactly what I meant.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
I will look tomorrow thanks Jim. You know, when it's not 10 degrees lol.
Yes I have the same relay and fuse panel, fuses look good I will try to find the manual.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a document explaining how to retrieve codes. Not sure if yours is the same or not but you can give it a try.

One issue that I had ~11-12 years ago was that my ABS light stayed on. When I checked the codes it gave me a blink code of 17-8 (? from memory). This was a code showing it was in the Dyno test mode. People stated that after you cycle the key this should get you out of Dyno mode but it didn't work for me.
So I started doing research and found another method, took 2 people, on in the drivers seat (my wife) and one outside at the ABS diagnostic module. Had to press the brake and hold it and press the diagnostic button in a specific sequence. Finally got the ABS light off.

The reason it went into Dyno mode is because I held the button for more then 2 seconds.

So now I am careful not to do that, I do a count of 2 and release the button immediately.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf abs_atc_system Monaco Addendum.pdf (92.7 KB, 31 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 02:33 PM   #9

Thanks Jim. Lots of down time weather wise so perfect bunny hunt.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Great ABS information here.

When I purchased my 09 Camelot I noticed that the tag axle ABS cable was wrapped around the driveshaft. First thought was it must have been disconnected (for some reason...) and then dropped down and wrapped around it. I untangled it and mentioned it to the seller, he said he would have the shop look at it and seemed surprised... I figured they would repair it and then I could see if there was any ABS problems, or just a cord tangling issue.

Well much to my surprise, when he got it back the repair order said it wasn't used on this model so they removed it "to prevent further confusion". I decided to buy it anyways thinking that shouldn't be too bad of a fix if there was an issue, the coach was immaculate this matter aside. However, even more to my surprise was that the idiots at the shop actually cut the wiring harness away as their "fix"!!

So after calling Bendix they said its actually used if its installed, big surprise! So I started my quest to find the needed ABS plug and wiring to fix the harness so I could troubleshoot and see what was going on. Sure as I suspected when all of it was fixed and reconnected to the ABS controller for the tag axle, I had an ABS light that clearly is an issue with the tag axle ABS being connected. Gotta love a sleazy seller!
jmfixitman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs