Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #1

air dryer filter change...

Getting ready to change the air dryer filter on my 2003 Monaco Windsor. Its located under the Coach by the right rear dual tire. Question is.....where should I bleed the air system so I can remove the filter and will this empty the air bags in which the Coach will drop? Any advice would help. THANKS
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #2

You can drain the tanks with the front & rear air drains just as you do when checking for moisture. I assume you have air leveling only. The leveling systems has check valves to prevent the air bags from deflating. Having said that, I always make sure I don't get myself in a pinch/crush point when under the coach.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #3

Thanks Steve, Thats just as I thought. Always good to check before doing. THANKS AGAIN
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
How often do you replacement the air dryer filter. Every other oil change, once a year, or when you remember? Is there a standard?
jimpattigeib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #5

Jim,

I think the Roadmaster lube chart calls for 2/3 year replacement schedule. Conventional wisdom seems to be 3 years or longer if operated primarily in dry climates and 2 years in humid climates. Of course of you drain your air tanks and see any evidence of moisture then you should service ASAP.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
What filter does it take, and where do I get them?

Mine is an 08, rr4r, 31k miles.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #7

Most likely this is your part number: R950011

Peterbilt sells an equal that is cheaper.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
That was the number, thanks. I bought it at napa and replaced it last weekend. Local napa loaned me a 5" + filter tool, made the job a 2 minute cakewalk.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #9

I replace the air dryer filter in our MH everyother year before we make our trip to the 'lower 48'. That is part of my pre trip service. To dump the air I use the 'air dump' switch on the dash. If that does not take it down all the way I just keep pressing the brake padle until the gage shows '0'. I do not like crawling under our MH if I do not have to. I also use this time to service the leveler system as the tank for it is next to the air dryer filter.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
I replace the air dryer filter in our MH everyother year before we make our trip to the 'lower 48'. That is part of my pre trip service. To dump the air I use the 'air dump' switch on the dash. If that does not take it down all the way I just keep pressing the brake padle until the gage shows '0'. I do not like crawling under our MH if I do not have to. I also use this time to service the leveler system as the tank for it is next to the air dryer filter.
Fanning the brakes will deplete the air in the tanks but wont deplete the air bags because of a check valve, using the dump switch on the dash will deplete both, on some of the early Knights I think they have only one air tank,
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I replace my air dryer filter every other year. I live and travel in mostly dry climates.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I changed the air dryer on my 2001 Winnebago Journey. I purchased this mh when it had 20,000 miles on it and I was not sure the air dryer had ever been changed. So I began by reading up on this forum and others. I raised the mh on three 2x10 boards, about six inches, and looked the situation over. The dryer is located on the driver-side frame rail just behind the differential. I found two suggestions: first, loosen the bolts, turn the dryer and change the filter; second, remove the dryer and change the filter on the workbench. One thing is for sure: the engineers who designed this system with a filter than needs to be changed often do not get any of my marks for good design. On this model, there’s not enough room with the dryer unit in place to replace the filter without making some kind of adjustment. This dryer has three hoses connected to it: the high pressure hose from the compressor, the plastic discharge hose, and a small hose on the opposite side. There is one set of wires with an easy disconnect junction. The unit’s mounting plate is attached to the frame with four bolts.
Deciding to remove the dryer from the unit, the first issue was the high pressure hose from the compressor. This wire mesh encased hose connects to the dryer with a union. Well, of course, the union would not turn—I could loosen the hose from the fitting, but the union would not turn. I sure did not want to turn the hose too much and break the inner plastic lining. The manufacturer does not leave much shoulder to grip the inner part of the union, and it was stuck tight. After liberal use of penetrating oil and finding a way to grip the inner part of the union (wrenches kept rounding the corners so I ended up using a small pipe wrench), it finally loosened and unscrewed. That was the longest part of the process. Once that was done, the remaining hoses and wiring came apart quickly. The four mounting bolts were easy to get off. I expected the unit to be heavy because some writers suggested using a hydraulic jack to lift it, but I found the unit to be light; in fact, it seemed that the filter was the heaviest part of the unit. Lifting the unit down, carrying it to the workbench , and changing the filters was the easiest part of the whole process.
Reinstalling the dryer went rapidly. One side of this dryer actually rests on a frame member, so lifting the dryer and sitting it on the frame was rather simple. Once sitting on the frame, installing the mounting bolts, reconnecting the hoses, and reconnecting the wiring went smoothly. Having accomplished this task once, I expect the next change to go more smoothly.
After this filter change, I have more information to add to a growing opinion that some of these engineers need to go back to school; or better yet, they should have to maintain some of the grotesque equipment they build. I’m not an engineer, but one does not have to be an engineer to recognize shoddy work when he sees it.
wilson8ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I just put a Purolater air dryer on my coach. Recommended filter change is 100,000 miles.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mabe in an OTR truck.
Don't think it would be wize to wait for 100,000mi on your motorhome!