Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Air Dryer Problem

I owe 2003 beaver Monterey.i I noticed some oil drops coming from purge valve after I shut the engine of. I also noticed some oil spatter around Air dryer. Has anybody had this experience, what caused this. Thank you
georgiann no is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #2

The air dryer collects and then discharges moisture, a normal occorance when compressing air, and any oil that the engine mounted compressor lets by.

As the compressor ages, it can allow more oil to pass the piston rings, like an engine burning oil, and send it out the discharge line. Your air dryer is doing its job by discharging it.

One thing to be aware of is, if the air dryer is discharging more then every 15 minutes or so while parked, unless your using a lot of air, there may be a problem.
A small leak in some of the lines can cause the compressor and dryer to cycle constantly. That can overheat the compressor and create excess oil and water in the discharge.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #3

Its time to service the system

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The air dryer collects and then discharges moisture, a normal occorance when compressing air, and any oil that the engine mounted compressor lets by.

As the compressor ages, it can allow more oil to pass the piston rings, like an engine burning oil, and send it out the discharge line. Your air dryer is doing its job by discharging it.

One thing to be aware of is, if the air dryer is discharging more then every 15 minutes or so while parked, unless your using a lot of air, there may be a problem.
A small leak in some of the lines can cause the compressor and dryer to cycle constantly. That can overheat the compressor and create excess oil and water in the discharge.
Thank you for that information it's very helpful,it's just that it didn't show any oil spots before, or it wasn't noticeable, and after I shut the engine of their is few drops of oil. Will it help changing the filter. Has not been changed over 3 years 8000 miles. Thank you for the answer.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

….technically--"its only time to service the system" if you are getting oil or water in your reserve air tank drain....otherwise, the dryer is doing its job.... oil and moisture is captured in the desiccant and pools at the bottom of the dryer....the purge valve expels the collected/pooled oil/water periodically.....there is some concern that the desiccant container can rupture with age and contaminate your air system so maybe replace every 4-5 years???? Short-cycling purge valve, "excessive oil/water" being purged, or oil/water in the reserve air tank; are all signs of a problem.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….technically--"its only time to service the system" if you are getting oil or water in your reserve air tank drain....otherwise, the dryer is doing its job.... oil and moisture is captured in the desiccant and pools at the bottom of the dryer....the purge valve expels the collected/pooled oil/water periodically.....there is some concern that the desiccant container can rupture with age and contaminate your air system so maybe replace every 4-5 years???? Short-cycling purge valve, "excessive oil/water" being purged, or oil/water in the reserve air tank; are all signs of a problem.....
Thank you for responding to my problem. I have drained Air tank and thear was some oil and moisture in it. Since then discharge has been clean of oil. I have learned a valuable lesson, drain tank once a week. Thank you guys for responding!
Old 09-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Any oil coming out of the tank already got past the air dryer. Its the first thing in the system.

With a proper functioning air dryer, there shouldn't be oil in any tank.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #8

When the compressor was warm we use to blow air from the compressor onto a small piece of cardboard for +/-minute.

Should only be small specs of oil on the cardboard
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
When the compressor was warm we use to blow air from the compressor onto a small piece of cardboard for +/-minute.

Should only be small specs of oil on the cardboard
I think I may have a problem with a system, because I can see that there is oil mist and thin film all around discharge, and after I shut the engine of their is always 2 to 3 drops of oil dripin from the air dryer filter. I'm around Bryce canyon aria going toward grand canyon and then Ohio. Can anyone tell me good place to take it in for service thank you
Old 09-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #10

Unless your a full timer, finish your trip, a few drops of oil isn't going to hurt anything.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
As Twinboat said, don't let a few drops of oil freak you out, and finish your trip! When you get home, have your air dryer serviced, and keep using your MH! A air compressor is a very expensive repair, and as long as you are not using a lot of oil, (main motor), and your air dryer is not short cycling, and is holding good pressure going down the road, don't worry too much! A few drops of oil do not mean you need a new compressor!
Your air compressor gets it's lubrication from the big motor, and if you oil level is fine, not to worry! Now if you find yourself adding a lot of oil between oil changes, then it will be time to worry!
Hope this eases your mind a bit! Rail!
Old 09-27-2018, 12:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
As Twinboat said, don't let a few drops of oil freak you out, and finish your trip! When you get home, have your air dryer serviced, and keep using your MH! A air compressor is a very expensive repair, and as long as you are not using a lot of oil, (main motor), and your air dryer is not short cycling, and is holding good pressure going down the road, don't worry too much! A few drops of oil do not mean you need a new compressor!
Your air compressor gets it's lubrication from the big motor, and if you oil level is fine, not to worry! Now if you find yourself adding a lot of oil between oil changes, then it will be time to worry!
Hope this eases your mind a bit! Rail!
Thank you for the reply. It does put my mind at ease a bit. So far my Air pressure being holding, no problem. I also noticed after 3000+ miles my oil level has gone from top mark to low mark. I just don't like to see oil film and dripin around, and I always wiring of getting worse.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:52 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
A gallon of oil in 3000 miles is starting to get to the concerned point! I would keep a close eye on the oil levels, and drain your tanks more often, and see if you are getting a milky looking substance coming out,
(milky='s, water +oil mix)
Some MH's have the dipstick level set too high? When you change the oil with the correct amount of oil for your motor, where is that level on your dipstick? That is the proper level, and should be marked, and know that is the full level! If the level is to high for your motor at the full mark, it will expel the excess oil out, till it reaches the actual full level of your motor! That will give the look of using more oil than it really is!

If you continue to use 1 gallon of oil every 3000 miles, or it gets worse, and you are getting a milky stuff coming out of your air tanks, you might need a new compressor?
How many miles are on your coach, does it sit a lot, or get used regularly?
I would keep putting miles on it and see if it indeed does get better, it may just need things to seat back up from non-use?
If you do need a new compressor, know going in that it will be a expensive repair, and get a few est's. from a few different shops, so you can get the best price! It is not something that has to be done immediately, so you have time to do what is best for you time and money wise!
Hope this helps? Rail!
Old 09-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
A gallon of oil in 3000 miles is starting to get to the concerned point! I would keep a close eye on the oil levels, and drain your tanks more often, and see if you are getting a milky looking substance coming out,
(milky='s, water +oil mix)
Some MH's have the dipstick level set too high? When you change the oil with the correct amount of oil for your motor, where is that level on your dipstick? That is the proper level, and should be marked, and know that is the full level! If the level is to high for your motor at the full mark, it will expel the excess oil out, till it reaches the actual full level of your motor! That will give the look of using more oil than it really is!

If you continue to use 1 gallon of oil every 3000 miles, or it gets worse, and you are getting a milky stuff coming out of your air tanks, you might need a new compressor?
How many miles are on your coach, does it sit a lot, or get used regularly?
I would keep putting miles on it and see if it indeed does get better, it may just need things to seat back up from non-use?
If you do need a new compressor, know going in that it will be a expensive repair, and get a few est's. from a few different shops, so you can get the best price! It is not something that has to be done immediately, so you have time to do what is best for you time and money wise!
Hope this helps? Rail!
Thank you Rail!!! You bean great help. I'm a full timer, and bein on the road for 5 months, spend winter in Florida. Start noticing oil 3 weeks ago. I changed the filter and started draining Air more often, thear was some oil mist coming out of tanks, but no white mixture and oil mist that is expel from Air dryer is clean motor oil. I will keep my eye on it. I haven't been draining Air tanks for a long time maybe that could have caused the problem

Tags
air