RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #1

Buy a flooded Motorhome?

Would anyone even consider a motorhome that was flooded (fresh water) a few inches into the storage bays?
The asking price is 20k or so below average. The PO installed some upgrades and seemed to take great care of the MH. The engine is ISL 400. I would still be paying 60k or more for the MH. Everything works and I've been on a test drive. I'm an electronic technician by trade and couldn't believe how new the terminal blocks, batteries, and wiring looked.
If it's dumb to consider and I still take the risk are there particular things that should be looked at? The wheels would have been roughly half way covered.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #2

I would not, to much wood in these things.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #3

Could cost you 40K to get rid of all the mold and rot. Heck NO!
Old 07-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

Your description indicates the water did not enter the coach. If so, only basement , brake, suspension and lower engine are a concern. If you are certain of the water level, it’s worth considering, IMO,
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #5

If any electrical components at all were exposed to water, I would probably pass. We bought a used Ford Explorer some years ago that I found out later had been in a flood. We had all sorts of crazy electrical problems with that truck before we got rid of it (including the headlights spontaneously going out while driving at night down a dark country road!)
jergle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Your description indicates the water did not enter the coach. If so, only basement , brake, suspension and lower engine are a concern. If you are certain of the water level, itís worth considering, IMO,

The water level didn't reach the coach. Only a few inches or so into the basement. I was wondering about the hub, axle, brakes, etc.
We will keep this on our list but don't feel like we need to rush. Thanks for your input.

Retire 2020 GLW
Old 07-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #7

If you're confident of the water level and that it was freshwater--it wouldn't bother me too bad. I'd look hard at the electrical connections that are at that level or lower. Any leveling jacks, or any other things that would have sensors hanging that low? The brakes will be fine, and I wouldn't worry about the axle, either.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't touch it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:08 AM   #9

Does it have a salvage title. If do, walk away.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Would anyone even consider a motorhome that was flooded (fresh water) a few inches into the storage bays?
The asking price is 20k or so below average. The PO installed some upgrades and seemed to take great care of the MH. The engine is ISL 400. I would still be paying 60k or more for the MH. Everything works and I've been on a test drive. I'm an electronic technician by trade and couldn't believe how new the terminal blocks, batteries, and wiring looked.
If it's dumb to consider and I still take the risk are there particular things that should be looked at? The wheels would have been roughly half way covered.

Paying 20k less for a coach that would normally list for 80k (assuming you paid 60k) is only a 25% discount from an unbranded title coach. Insurance will typically only pay 60% of value of an unbranded title coach in the event of a total. If you are going into this planning to own for a long time, and are unworried about resale, and are SURE of the water level, and have fluid samples of hubs, transmission, engine (don't forget generator) that show NO water content . . . . AND it was dried out/aired out/dehumidified immediately after submersion.
Notice how many qualifiers I put in the above?!?
It might be a good deal, but I'd shoot for $45 to $50k total purchase price.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Paying 20k less for a coach that would normally list for 80k (assuming you paid 60k) is only a 25% discount from an unbranded title coach. Insurance will typically only pay 60% of value of an unbranded title coach in the event of a total. If you are going into this planning to own for a long time, and are unworried about resale, and are SURE of the water level, and have fluid samples of hubs, transmission, engine (don't forget generator) that show NO water content . . . . AND it was dried out/aired out/dehumidified immediately after submersion.
Notice how many qualifiers I put in the above?!?
It might be a good deal, but I'd shoot for $45 to $50k total purchase price.
I think if we decided to plan on keeping it and could get it for closer to 50k than I would feel better about it. I definitely like your ideas and especially the one about fluid samples. A call to the insurance company would need to happen before we got more serious for sure.
Thanks.

Retire 2020 GLW
Old 07-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
"IF" the coach has a "branded" title.(physically LOOK at the title to see then check registration & car fax) IF it is branded as a re-construct..... RUN not Walk away.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #13

I have the same concerns as other's primarily compromised drivetrain components, did water get into wheel hubs, etc. Were all compromised electrical components replaced, transfer switch, converter, inverters, leveling jack system, etc. are often in those cargo bays. Also how long was it in the water, are we talking hours, days, weeks, was this in an urban area, how contaminated was that fresh water,...
Old 07-31-2020, 01:45 PM   #14

Like most folks here I would want a much deeper discount especially if itís a salvage title, gotten cheap enough with work done by you then maybe but a much bigger discount before I would consider it

kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome