Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I checked my chassis wiring diagram and it does show a water temp sender that goes to the gauge. Does not designate where the sender is but from the info from the manual showing the sender it should be easy to find.

From the diagram it does not provide info to the ECM but the ECM does provide a signal to the warning light.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I checked my chassis wiring diagram and it does show a water temp sender that goes to the gauge. Does not designate where the sender is but from the info from the manual showing the sender it should be easy to find.

From the diagram it does not provide info to the ECM but the ECM does provide a signal to the warning light.
Thanks Jim.
Closing in on this slowly but surely . From Eldon's info from his mechanic , about position and two sensors replaced , I'm pretty sure a sender on the exhaust manifold side of the valve cover will be the Monaco unit.
Pictures of the cylinder head show 6 threaded plugs along the side of the valve cover.
Warning light controlled from ECM , make sense too.

So Monaco sensor should be a variable resistance to ground ?
If Eldon's mechanic used a Cummins part for the Monaco sensor and it was designed for a 5 volt output from the ECM , and the Monaco gauge sends 12 volts down the wire , the sender could be bad already ( not positive , just thinking out loud) but wiring connector actually hooking up is a mystery.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I think I found the temp sensor, it is located on the drivers side toward the front of the engine up near the exhaust manifold and thermostat.

I is only a one wire sensor though, couldn't see any markings on it.

There was another sensor same side right below this one on the side of the engine, the connector looked like a Cummins type.

Couldn't see any other sensors on that side but I didn't crawl underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant temp sensor.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	343394  
Old 09-17-2021, 06:08 PM   #18

Thanks Jim , so single wire , variable resistance to ground sensor ; red circle .

Was the Cummins sensor in the area below the exhaust manifold . Yellow arrow?

EDIT: Big question is how Eldon's mechanic managed to install a Cummins sensor ,and attach wiring to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coolant temp sensor Monaco ISC Jim J.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	343405  
Old 09-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, the Cummins sensor was under the manifold where yellow area points.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Yup, the Cummins sensor was under the manifold where yellow area points.
Thanks Jim , I was wondering if the diagram , I located , was correct .

Now to set out , a gauge test method , for Eldon .
Old 09-17-2021, 08:35 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
To test a temp gauge with 3 wires on the back.

To test the gauge, touch each of the 3 posts with the probe of a 12 volt test light.

One will be 12 volts, one ground, and the third will be the temp sender wire.

Your gauge will peg to max when you touch the test light probe to the sender wire if the gauge is good, has 12 volts, and a good ground.

If you have good ground, 12 volts, and the gauge pegs, likely it's an open between the gauge and the sender. Looking for plugs along the way is a great start.

"To test the gauge I understand that I need to ground one side of it, if I hook a ground wire to the gauge, how do I know which side to hook it to unless I disconnect one of the wires to find the power wire, itís not in a very good place to get at so it be good to know ahead of time which side is the ground so that I donít have to take any wires off (unless I really have to). Does anybody know?"
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #22

In the middle of the night I got up and read the new posts by both of you mentioning that the sensor right above the alternator is the Cummins sensor for the ECM, and the sensor straight up from it on top and beside the head is the Monaco one for the dash gauge, and that the Monaco sensor should be different than the Cummins sensor. It suddenly clicked in my brain, 2 separate sensors. That I had no idea of.

Well I decided to check things out this morning on my own, so I popped out the floor panel in the closet and saw that the top sensor, above the Cummins sensor and close to the oil fill cap, that I thought was going to be changed, wasnít. He must have changed the oil temperature and Cummins coolant sensor, not the Monaco sensor.

So I took the 2 wires off the Monaco sensor, and one had power so I grounded the one with power and the dash gauge went off the end which in theory sounds good, however I think it was the oil temperature gauge that went to the top, not the coolant temperature gauge. Iíll attach pictures of the gauge and sensor. That gauge that is not quite zeroed is always that way and is I guess hooked to the coolant sensor??

I also took a screenshot from the online ownerís manual of the coolant sensor, any idea where I can get one?

So if the oil temperature gauge is hooked to the coolant sensor, what should the coolant temperature gauge be hooked to? Or is there an elusive coolant sensor someplace else?

By the way, if Iím ever in the same area as you guys, Iím stopping in to by you a beer. You guys are amazing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8924.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	343477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8923.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	343478  

Name:	IMG_3319.jpg
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	343479  
Eldonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #23

Seeing your on engine sending unit is different than Jim's gauge testing could be different .
These differences could be due to Monaco ;perhaps ; switching gauge suppliers during the model year .

Oil temp sending unit , would be in the side ( low ) of the oil pan .
Only one coffee so far this morning , so I'll re-read your post carefully , before I make any more mistakes.
Oil pressure sending unit , will be on the passenger side of the engine block just above the starter.
I'll see if I have a good diagram.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #24

Ok , in post #2 , Jim's dash gauge diagram lists the second temp gauge , as being , trans fluid temp .
Do you have a similar dash layout diagram ?
Trans fluid temp sensor , installed by Monaco , will probably be in the fluid line from the trans to the trans fluid cooler .

I notice tape on the wiring to the coolant temp sensor , is that something you put on ?
Or has someone been chasing issues with gauges/ sensors/wiring before ?

This diagram , for ISC CAPS, shows the Cummins oil pressure sensor location , The oil gallery that the sensor is screwed into runs the length of the block with several plugs that could be removed for Monaco to install their oil sensor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ISC.Passenger side of engine.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	343483  
Old 09-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #25

Another difference , Jim states in his post that the Cummins ECM has control of the temp warning light , where your sensor diagram ( two terminals ) says one for gauge , one for light .

This is shaping up to be a real mess .
Freightliner did something similar , shut down the assembly line for Christmas 1998 , then on start up Jan 4 1999 , had an entirely different wiring harness and gauge package on their chassis .

Eldon , do you have any build date info for your chassis or coach ?

Jim J , do you have build date info for yours?

Don't know if we can track this down to different build dates , hope it isn't due to different model lines .
Old 09-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Don't have a build date but my SN is 127165 and base on the parts page was built prior to 1/2/2002 and I know from another parts page mine was build prior to Sept 2001!!!!

Here is the parts page for the Water Temp sending unit, it shows mine and & Eldons

The one with the two posts is available from REV but pricey

https://parts.revgroup.com/item-deta...ganizationId=9

Mine is still available at a much less cost.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=179312
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Water Temp Sending Unit.pdf (36.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I did some more checking using the Vendor PN and here is a source for the other temp sending unit but will have to confirm which one. May have to remove it to get the number off of it.
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/vdo-...nders/323-099b
Old 09-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #28

Thanks Jim for taking the time to help sort this out , with the date of use info , looks like Roadmaster/Monaco did the same thing as Freightliner , wholesale parts/wiring change after Christmas .

Anytime I'm trying to help members with a 1999 coach on Freightliner chassis, I have to have the chassis build date to proceed ; because the first 4/5 months of production of 99 coaches are on 98 chassis .