Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 07:51 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
All my gauges on my dash work but not the easiest to see while driving down the road. In 2013 I decided to purchase a Silverleaf VMSpc, the box plugs into the J port under my dash and then I use a laptop or tablet to monitor the engine transmission vitals. You can setup the display anyway you want. You and go to the website and download the software to see what you can monitor. Note though that they have not kept up with updates and have recently been acquired by an RV manufacturer so who knows the future of this system.

https://www.silverleafelectronics.com/

There are a number of things you monitor, right now I display
What gear I'm in
Oil pressure
Speed & set cruise speed
Turbo and HP
I have a fuel tank monitor that tracks gallons left in tank, miles driven, miles to drive based on usage,

Engine temp
Transmission Temp
Volts
I also have alarms set up for high temps, low pressure etc.

There are other options for this type of monitoring, Scangauage and Bluefire are two.
Before I'd waste a lot of time and money to get my dash gauges working I look at one of these systems.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 04:42 AM   #44

I ordered the ScanGaugeD and it should be here in a day or 2. I’ve seen other people on this site saying that’s what they do when their gauge quits.

I ordered from Amazon so if it works great, if not then it’s an easy return.

I’d also like the qauge working as it gives you an uncomfortable feeling to look down on a warm day to see no temperatures.

The company I ordered the sensor from has sent me a tracking number so I’m going to guess that in another week I should have it and be able to test it out.
Eldonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #45

I ordered the sensor from NWRV supply, and 10 days later the part came, and…., it was the wrong one. In fact it didn’t look anything like it should. I contacted NWRV and they apologized and threw another one in the mail to me, 12 days later and I’m still waiting for it. Grrr.

But while I’m waiting on to other stuff. I had the transmission oil changed and after changing it the mechanic checked the long dipstick Inside the motorhome and there was nothing on the dipstick, so he panicked for a minute, then he went underneath and found that there was a second dipstick on the side of the transmission and That one said the fluid was good. My question is which dipstick should the transmission oil be checked with? I tried using the electronic check via the gear shift and get a code message that the fluid is not hot enough to check.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I don't use the dip stick to check transmission oil level, instead I use the touch pad, which is what Allison recommends.

After getting the transmission up to temp, park on level ground and wait ~2 minutes, then press the UP/Down arrow at the same time and it will tell you if oil level is OK or how much you need to add or remove.

When I do this and it says to add 1 quart I will add 1/2 a quart and then check it again. Easier to add then take out.

Here is a guide
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison Shifter Pad and codes.pdf (528.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-17-2021, 05:41 AM   #47

I stopped at Cummins yesterday to make an appointment to take my rig in. I know the coolant gauge isn’t working (HR sensor issue I think) and I’m waiting on the sensor to arrive so I can fix that problem. But the temperature reading from the diagnostic port is also wrong, 205 all the time (Cummins issue I think). I had. Ought a ScaanGaugeD so I could at least read the temperature from the Cummins sensor, obviously that’s not going to work. Hopefully Cummins can fix that. Does anyone have an idea of what that problem could be?

My next stop was an Allison transmission repair shop, they told me that both dipsticks should show an identical reading and they are suprised that the short dipstick on the transmission is still there, as it’s usually replaced with a plug. That’s a relief because now I know the fluid level is good I’m ok to travel with it.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonp View Post
I stopped at Cummins yesterday to make an appointment to take my rig in. I know the coolant gauge isn’t working (HR sensor issue I think) and I’m waiting on the sensor to arrive so I can fix that problem. But the temperature reading from the diagnostic port is also wrong, 205 all the time (Cummins issue I think). I had. Ought a ScaanGaugeD so I could at least read the temperature from the Cummins sensor, obviously that’s not going to work. Hopefully Cummins can fix that. Does anyone have an idea of what that problem could be?

My next stop was an Allison transmission repair shop, they told me that both dipsticks should show an identical reading and they are suprised that the short dipstick on the transmission is still there, as it’s usually replaced with a plug. That’s a relief because now I know the fluid level is good I’m ok to travel with it.

Use the shift pad to check transmission oil level. See previous post
Old 10-18-2021, 07:46 AM   #49

Well the wrong “coolant” temp sensor that NWRV sent me looks very similar to the transmission sensor so when I get the rig back from Cummins I’ll see if I can change out the external transmission sensor. I was worried about losing lots of transmission fluid but the Allison shop told me that it should be minimal.

I’ve had the rig parked on a seasonal camp site since I purchased it. This morning I drove the rig in the dark to Cummins and the darn dash lights aren’t working. So much for the vehicle safety that was done before I bought it. Grrrrr

I’m hoping to hit the road soon and head someplace warm so I’m trying to get everything fixed before I do.

Oh, and Jim, I drove the rig about 20 miles, parked and tried to do the transmission fluid level check using the shifter and I get the oL - 7,0 code, meaning the transmission isn’t warm enough. Perhaps I didn’t wait the 2 minutes before checking? Or something worse? Do you know where the wire that hooks to the internal transmission temperature sensor hooks up on the transmission, maybe it’s unhooked?
Old 10-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
The external sensor is one that Monaco installed for the dash gauge. There is an internal on that Allison installed to provide temps to the ECM and the transmission brain. I believe the oil temp must be ~145F and the rig has to be parked in neutral for ~2 minutes for it to read.

The external sensor is installed in an aluminum block on one of the hydraulic lines to the cooler. Here's a parts pages

I monitor my temps with my Silverleaf VMSpc display. I took it for a test drive a couple weeks ago and was watching both the dash gauge and Silverleaf display to see if there was any difference. I noticed that the dash gauge is slower to respond and seems to show cooler temps, but that may be due to the sensor mounted in an aluminum block and it dissipating heat.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Transmission Oil Sending Unit.pdf (60.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:48 AM   #51

Right now the motorhome is in at Cummins and they are trying to figure out why the Cummins coolant temp from the Cummins sensor isn’t working. I know they just requested the HR wiring schematic so I’m not sure if that’s good or bad.

I hope the HR sensor shows up today then I can get Cummins to install it cause it’s in their shop anyway.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
HMMMM,

The Cummins wiring is separate from the Monaco.

If you go to the Cummins Quickserve site you can see the wiring diagram for the ECM and where it connects to the HR wiring harness.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Once you create an account, put in the SN of you engine, then look under the "Service" tab and it will show wiring diagram for the ECM.

Here is a chassis wiring diagram for my Windsor, and other Monaco & HR coaches. It might be of some use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2002 Windsor Chassis Wiring Diagram.pdf (183.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-26-2021, 06:42 PM   #53

Well the rig is In the Cummins shop, they changed the already changed Cummins sensor, now the computer will read the coolant temperature. Went to leave the Cummins shop and noticed the oil temperature gauge was off the top, back into the Cummins shop and they told me the gauge was no good, also got them to check the dash lights as when I drove it to the Cummins shop it was dark and I noticed the dash lights weren’t working. The Cummins shop told me a relay in the fuse box was gone, now I’m waiting on parts for the dash lights and the oil temperature gauge. Plus…,, still waiting on the coolant temperature sensor to show up from NWRV, Darn mail, grrrr. 22 days and counting.

The border opens up on November 8 so hopefully I’ll be ready to go and hit the road for warmer temperatures.

And FYI: REV parts couldn’t provide Cummins with a wiring diagram. Cummins told me very poor support.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:24 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the update
Hang in there, looks like you are making progress and hopefully can get on the road soon.

FWIW, I don't rely on my dash gauges but use the Silverleaf VMSpc,
Old 10-27-2021, 02:41 AM   #55

Well Jim I noticed I wrote oil temperature gauge in my previous post, it’s actually my oil pressure gauge shorted and was off the top of the gauge, and yes I could get that info via the ScanGauge however I was sure I wouldn’t like looking at the dash and seeing half the gauges either not working or wrong.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
When I first bought our coach in 2008 the oil pressure gauge was pegged but there were no other symptoms of a problem. After driving it home from FL I took it to the nearest Cummins shop, I knew the manager and asked for a complete service and inspection. I asked them to check the oil pressure gauge. The inspection came back with flying colors, they downloaded the ECM insite info onto a disc for me and printed so I knew what the settings were and for future reference. They said the oil pressure gauge had been hooked up wrong, they fixed it but the gauge still showed high oil pressure. Since the oil pressure gauge is separate form the Cummins oil sensor that reports to the ECM it really didn't matter other then seeing high oil pressure.

The only real gauge I look at is the air pressure gauge, the other look pretty but I rely on my Silverleaf to tell me the real story as they are much more responsive and accurate.