Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2021, 09:44 PM   #1

Coolant Temp Gauge Not Working

Greetings

I have a 2002 HR Endeavor and the coolant temperature gauge isnít working.

I get it back from the mechanic tomorrow and he couldnít help me out. He changed the sending unit but it still doesnít work, so that means it must be either the gauge itself or wiring someplace between the front and rear of the coach. As the frame is a Roadmaster frame, heís not sure where to get a new gauge for it, or where the wiring harness runs between the front and back of the coach.

As this canít be the first time this happened I was hoping to get some help from a fellow RVer who has had the same problem.

How do you test the gauge, and what are some common problems associated with the coolant gauge not working?

Thanks. Eldon
Eldonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 07:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My 2002 Monaco Windsor uses a BEEDE gauge similar to this
https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/prod_...edGauge=2_temp

I have the parts page and checked the REV website and it says it is not available but using the Beede number I got the above hit.

You could go through their catalog and see if you can find one that is compatible or give them a call.

I attached the parts page, it does show the Monaco & Vendor PN's but you have to do some searches to find OEM manufacturer etc. Sometimes you get lucky.

Let us know what you find
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Dash Panel Parts breakdown.pdf (166.5 KB, 5 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #3

To test the gauge

I assume that one wire going to the sensor has power coming from the Gauge and the other one should be coming from ground, correct?

To test the gauge I understand that I need to ground one side of it, if I hook a ground wire to the gauge, how do I know which side to hook it to unless I disconnect one of the wires to find the power wire, it’s not in a very good place to get at so it be good to know ahead of time which side is the ground so that I don’t have to take any wires off (unless I really have to). Does anybody know?

I also think that I read in a post somewhere on this site that there is a plug-in someplace beside the driver seat for the gauge, does anybody know where that plug-in is?
Old 09-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #4

Maybe Jim J , can correct me if I'm wrong , but my understanding is that Monaco installed their own sending unit on the engine for the temperature gauge , the dash gauges don't use the Cummins sensors for there read out ; if so it'd be important to know that the Monaco sensor was the one changed and not the Cummins .
Old 09-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
SKip426,
Not really sure on the engine temp sending unit but in my manual it does show the Coolant Temp sending unit and part number as VDO 323 0998

This has 2 posts, one used for the gauge and one is for the warning light.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
SKip426,
Not really sure on the engine temp sending unit but in my manual it does show the Coolant Temp sending unit and part number as VDO 323 0998

This has 2 posts, one used for the gauge and one is for the warning light.
Have to wonder if that's the P/N that Eldon's mechanic put in .
Or if wiring diagram shows it tied into the Cummins ECM .

Just in case , hate to have Eldon chasing down a replacement gauge , if the mechanic replaced a Cummins part .
Old 09-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #7

I took my motorhome in to a diesel shop and I think tbey removed the sensors there and replaced them with Cummins sensors. Maybe not a big deal as the gauge wasnít working anyway. ??

This weekend Iím going to try and ground the gauge (once I figure out which wire on the gauge has power) to see if the gauge moves.

Then Iím going to see if I can find where the wire is routed to the sensor to see if there is a break or plug connection problem. Does anyone know where that wire is routed once it leaves the gauge?
Old 09-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #8

Eldon , maybe Jim can post a picture of the coolant sensor location on his Monaco , ISC , and you can confirm with your shop that it's the one they replaced .
Old 09-16-2021, 07:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'll try and get a picture sometime over the weekend, got some irons in the fire but will see what I can do.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
OK,

I checked on the Quickserve site and found the coolant sensor used for the ECM. Here's what it looks like
https://advancetruckpartsusa.com/pro...erature-sensor

My manual shows this coolant sensor PN as VDO 323 0998, but I can't find one on line. It has two places to attach wires, one for gauge and one for warning light.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
OK,

I checked on the Quickserve site and found the coolant sensor used for the ECM. Here's what it looks like
https://advancetruckpartsusa.com/pro...erature-sensor

My manual shows this coolant sensor PN as VDO 323 0998, but I can't find one on line. It has two places to attach wires, one for gauge and one for warning light.
Ok sorry to keep going on this but the 2 Cummins ECM pinouts I have, show the two wires to the Cummins temp sensor as sensor signal and sensor return both from the ECM.
I'd think that a Cummins sensor failure would trigger a CEL .
Do you have any info that would say the dash gauge is capable of retrieving info from the Cummins ECM or data buss ?

EDIT : Sorry this pinout is for the 5.9 ISB But the ISC shows same wiring identification.
Re-EDIT. It's been years since I saw the mention of Monaco / Roadmaster Installing their own temp sensor , but I'll try and track it down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ecm3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	343317  
Old 09-16-2021, 09:30 PM   #12

Eldon ; sorry that Jim and I are sidetracking your thread , but hopefully we can get to the bottom of this issue.

Post #4 in this thread . Is probably where I remember the reference to separate sensors. The member didn't provide pictures , I'll see if he's still active in the forums .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/2003...ns-534250.html

And Jim and I have been around the block on the issue before , good thing the internet is here to remind us of these things .

Unfortunately we live too far apart for me to drop in for a few cold ones and tear into his coach to provide some real clarity for the situation.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/isc-...rs-263680.html

EDIT : Member is still active , I've messaged him and waiting for a reply.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:39 AM   #13

I think I forgot to mention my engine size - I have a Cummins 330 hp, 8.3.

I believe there are 2 sensors the mechanic replaced - one just above the alternator and one directly above it on the top of the head. He told me he replaced both with the same Cummins part number. However if one or both were supposed to be Monaco’s own part number I guess it’s possible that could be my problem.

I ordered a ScanGaugeD thinking possibly it’s the gauge although the mechanic said that the vast majority of the time it’s the sensor not the gauge.

I would take it to an authorized Holiday Rambler repair shop but the closest one is about 800 miles away.

I’m up in Canada so I can’t even go on a road trip south to an HR repair shop until the border reopens.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonp View Post
I think I forgot to mention my engine size - I have a Cummins 330 hp, 8.3.

I believe there are 2 sensors the mechanic replaced - one just above the alternator and one directly above it on the top of the head. He told me he replaced both with the same Cummins part number. However if one or both were supposed to be Monaco’s own part number I guess it’s possible that could be my problem.

Ok the one above the alternator ; below the thermostat housing ;would be the Cummins location and the one in the cylinder head the Monaco . I found this diagram, below, in a search ISC coolant sensor location . What is odd that the Monaco sensor had wiring that would plug into a Cummins part.
Jim J was searching for a picture of the Monaco part , hope he has some success .

Scan Gauge will display what temp the Cummins ECM is seeing .

EDIT: Bruce ( Theturboman) did reply to my message and unfortunately could not provide an exact location , for the Monaco coolant sensor.
Attached Images