Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Front Brakes knock

Hi, I once read a thread that was discussing a knocking noise when a driver applied the brakes on a diesel pusher. Anyone know what that is that is knocking after braking hard?
It also pulls to the drivers side when breaking hard.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cracked drum or disk (if you have disk brakes like I do).
Loose wheel could cause it too but less likely.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #3

If the coach sat for a while it may be rust on the drum or rotor. I also once had a brake lining come off of the shoe and stick to the drum. I don't remember if I had the parking brake on or not. Take the wheel off and inspect things and you should get your answer quickly.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for your help, I have drums all around. My wife and I do set for a couple weeks at a time in various locations. This winter was near the gulf coast mostly. I have read about rusty drums and when I’m backing up the breaks do howl pretty loud. But I have been driving it all year so far so I’m wondering if rust would wear off from frequent use?
Old 04-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It sounds like you need to clean the rollers and "S" cams on your drum brakes. I spend the winter on the gulf coast and every year when I get home, I pull the front hubs and clean the mechanism. The "S" cams and rollers that roll on them get rusty from nonuse over the winter. They need to be cleaned and lightly lubricated in order to work smoothly.

Richard
hex nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hex nut View Post
It sounds like you need to clean the rollers and "S" cams on your drum brakes. I spend the winter on the gulf coast and every year when I get home, I pull the front hubs and clean the mechanism. The "S" cams and rollers that roll on them get rusty from nonuse over the winter. They need to be cleaned and lightly lubricated in order to work smoothly. Richard
Old 04-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
It could also be the self adjusters in the brake arms. They do their adjusting when the brakes are applied hard, and sometimes you can hear the clunk. Stan

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for your help. I’m finding the rv pulls to the drivers side when breaking hard. So I’m wondering if the adjusters need to be checked.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #9

It shouldn't pull when stopping, with the adjusters out a bit. It may pull for a second but then the air will equalize pretty fast, unless they are way out of adjustment.

You can look at the front brake adjuster movement while some one lightly steps on the brake. See if one is moving more then about 1 inch.

Low tire air can cause a pull, hope you have checked the pressure in them. So can loose front end components, causing the axle to shift.

Lots of reasons.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #10

My brake noise

I know this post is older, however i was getting a strange noise from my right front, took it appart to grease bearings an found the cracks. Went to a fleetpride in Ukiah ca an they had a compleate set compleat with springs that had been on the shelf for years... they were very happy to be rid of it. The noise is gone, however the brakes have still not seated yet so its a little schetchy🙀😳
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1311CE6-A9A5-4E7E-853F-E7C15FB83096.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	337451   Click image for larger version

Name:	9FCE3067-1649-4BFF-A2C7-D06B6F75CAF3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	337452  

rikadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If it doesn't fix itself after a short time you may have to have the drum turned (if it is designed to be machined) or a new drum. But it you wait too long the pads will wear to the drum pattern and it will take some time to get smooth again.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSailors View Post
Thanks for your help. I’m finding the rv pulls to the drivers side when breaking hard. So I’m wondering if the adjusters need to be checked.
Also check the inside of the front passenger side tire / wheel for signs of lube oil leaking from a bad axle seal. My coach pulled hard to the side opposite the failed seal during braking.

Tags
brake, brakes