Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2023, 05:10 PM   #1

Question Fuel Leaking on 2002 Monaco Diplomat

Has anyone dropped their fuel tank to check hoses on top of fuel tank due to possible leaking. After looking at my brackets that hold my tank they are all welded. (thats real smart if you have to drop the tank for maintenance). Thanks engineers at Monaco. I am interested in how you did it as the tank looks taller than the coach is off the ground therefore you would have to jack the coach up high enough to drop the tank and get enough access to the top of the tank.
skitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2023, 05:31 PM   #2

You tube KEVIN CAUDELL.. he will show you how it's a one man job.. there are others.. you tube dropping rv fuel tank.. if you can find a hill.. or grade.. otherwise drive rear up on cribbing.. I bet critters ate fuel line.. or just old a cracked.. replace all of the ones you can.. and wrap in stainless steel mesh If you lan to keep.. you can find mesh in speed section of a/p store.. or on line..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-24-2023, 08:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My fuel tank is located right behind the front tires. I have lift up doors on both sides that provide access to the top of the tank.

Do you have any doors for your fuel??

If you have a side that isn't a door check the bottom to see if they have a strap holding it down. Chances are it does lift up. Remove the strap and see if it lifts up. This may provide you access.

In my case the fuel pick up tube for engine and generator are on drivers side. The return and vent is located on passenger side along with the fuel level sender.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:14 PM   #4

Fuel Leaking on 2002 Monaco Diplomat

Hmmm Just after I bought my coach, I drained my tank and dropped the back of it down so I could access the fuel lines for replacement. The 2 fuel filler lines are up front so they held front up.

At least on mine there are 4 nuts that hold 2 straps under the tank ( see pic). If theres no way for you to drop tank, surely there has to be an alternate method to access the lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6403.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	393779
Old 05-25-2023, 05:08 PM   #5

I have small flip open doors that access the screw on caps to the fuel filler spout.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitches View Post
I have small flip open doors that access the screw on caps to the fuel filler spout.

There is a good chance that these can be lifted up, check under the side and see if there is a strap/screws holding it shut. Remove the strap/screws and see if you can get to swing up like your other doors.

I know others have found this and some even added latched to be able to open easier.

My guess is it like this on both sides so you should be able to get to the connections on both sides.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:50 AM   #7

The flip open doors are only roughly 8" x 8". They just cover the fill hoses.
Old 05-27-2023, 04:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I found a picture of a 2002 diplomat, printed the image to a pdf, zoomed in and added some comments with sticky note. See attached.

Does yours look like this. If so I believe it will open. Look at the hinge system the other doors have and then look at that panel. Just looking at the picture it looks like the hinge is continuous.

My guess is there is some sort of strap or fastener on the bottom.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diplomat fuel door.pdf (415.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-27-2023, 08:15 PM   #9

Yes, that looks like mine. I will go out and check it tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 05-28-2023, 04:17 PM   #10

I checked and I do have these doors. I looked inside my filler door and looks like I may have a generator fuel line fitting leaking at the fitting as it was showing moisture around that area. I don't seem to have any leakage at the bottom of the tank. I believe it may be leaking when the generator is running drawing fuel from the tank at the fitting. I will fire up the generator and watch the fitting since I have good access with the door raised.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you got the access opened up. A lot of people don't know about these on the Monaco coaches with swing up doors. If you don't have a door on the passenger side opposite the wet bay it would probably be the same way, this is where your level sensors would be.

On my rig the fuel suction (pickup) lines for both the Cummins and the generator are on the drivers side. The return lines are on the passenger side.

If the generator pickup line is leaking while the generator was running it would be sucking air.

It might be the generator return line.

Tags
diplomat, fuel, leak, monaco, monaco diplomat