Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hydraulic over hydraulic brakes?

looking today at a 1998safari sahara PP with hydraulic or hydraulic brakes. I red up on them and need to know if I shoul avoid this and keep looking for air brake chassis.

any special problems with this system>

thanks in advance

Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F451degrees View Post
looking today at a 1998safari sahara PP with hydraulic or hydraulic brakes. I red up on them and need to know if I shoul avoid this and keep looking for air brake chassis.

any special problems with this system>

thanks in advance

Tom
as long as the coach runs well and is not prone to stalling you should be ok.
engine shuts off = very bad brakes...

if I was towing weight I would look at an air brakes system but other than that...

a thing to consider with air brakes is some states and provinces require a different drivers permit for both air brakes and weight...

all things to consider... if the deal is right ….. make sure the hardware [brake system] is relatively new....very expensive to replace...
iamcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #3

There is nothing wrong with hydraulic over hydraulic brakes.

All of the gas MH use them along with Alpine Motor Coach's.
Most will be disk brakes, far superior to drum brakes.

If the engine stops, they have electric motor or accumulator assist. With either system, you will be able to stop.

I suppose the big difference is the parking brake. It will be on the drive train, not the rear wheels.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, brake, hydraulic