Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

Leaf spring suspension vs air suspension

Thinking about buying a 2006 HR Vacationer DP, and saw that it has a roadmaster chassis and leaf spring suspension. Looking for some opinions on MH with leaf spring suspension vs MH with air suspension. The good, the bad, handling, turning, swaying, rocking, and so on. Thanks
jpe2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

My previous MH had leaf springs and my now Mh
has airbags. I will never have leaf springs aagain. The ride is too rough and noisey with leaf springs. You feel every bump, pothole, and expansion joint. Sometimes you will swear that the Mh will shake apart. If you get leafsprings you will always wish you had airbags or you will always be trying to make the ride smoother. Do yourself a big favor and get airbags to start off with.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #3

I'm thinking it depends on which coach you have. I have been driving this spring road master chassis for over two years now and I like it and have no desire to improve the ride.
Yes when the road is rough I feel it as I did with my last coach but for the most part it is a smooth ride.
I have driven a 2008 Scepter with air ride on a couple of long highway trips and I don't see a huge difference in ride.

I would suggest a good test drive on a rough highway. Test drive both air ride and spring chassis and see if you what you think.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's a decent chassis, but there are a number of differences between the RSR spring chassis and its air suspension brethren. More than just the air bags. The RSR has hydraulic brakes vs air on the others, the towing capacity in minimal (only 4000 lbs vs 7000-10,000 lbs on the air chassis), the transmission is the Allison 1000 instead of the rugged Allison 3000MH, the engine is the modest Cummins 5.9L limited to 600 lb-ft of torque to match to the Allison 1000, to name a few things.

What I'm saying is that there are many differences as you move up the scale, say from the Vacationer Diesel to the Neptune on the RR4R chassis.

You can compare details on the Holiday Rambler site - they have an archive of previous years spec sand brochures.
Holiday Rambler RVs: Products
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Gary, those are some excellent points. It is really a whole different class chassis. One point I would like to bring out is that a lot of Monaco/Roadmaster chassis with air bags where fitted with Monroe shocks from the factory and these shocks are no good past 15K miles so if you test drive a Roadmaster with airbags you need to make sure these shocks are changed. If they are the Monroe shocks and that chassis has mileage on it then it is going to have a real bad ride.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #6

Well I guess it does not matter anymore because I bought it. A 2006 HR 34ft Vacationer Diesel with 22000 miles on it in excellent condition for a price of 65K. This is my first MH so I dont know any better. Took it for a test drive and it seemed to be fine and have a lot of power. But then again this is my first MH DP. Did notice squeaks and rattles, but not bad. So I hope I did OK.
jpe2459 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension