Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2023, 06:21 PM   #1

Leaking Rear Axle Seal

Anyone had rear axle seal leak? Did you figure out why it just started leaking as it is a static seal with not any movement of the seal to cause a leak. Did they have to replace the studs and cone shape inserts also?
skitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2023, 06:57 PM   #2

On what?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:02 PM   #3

In the about me section/ Its not me though lol
RV Manufacturer
Monaco
RV Model
Diplomat
RV Year
RV Length
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:59 AM   #4

It's a static seal if the fasteners are tight, otherwise the torque of the drive train and differential are trying to bend them studs as they turn the tires.

The slightest movement will cause the gasket or sealer to fail.

If it was loose for a while, the stud threads and cones get chewed up. Worst case, the threads in the hub wallow out and that's shot to.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:53 AM   #5

Since the differential oil also lubricates the rear axle bearings; during the process of replacing the axle hub gaskets, I'd closely inspect the axle bearings while the axle is loose.
After re-assembly, if you haven't already drained the rear axle, do so and replace the differential oil
It does go bad over the years and turns acidic.
I replaced the diff. oil in my MH and it was so bad the oil burned and irritated my hands. They were so red, DW thought I'd spilled battery acid on them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-09-2023, 11:06 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Check the axle breather. If it's plugged, pressure builds with warming up if it's running down the road, or just ambiant temp changes.

Pressure puts a load on all seals and if there's one that's a little iffy, it will leak.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
There's a paper gasket between the axle flange & the hub and they fail.

To repair it you remove the chrome hub cover, then the axle retaining nuts. Slide the axle out. It's a full floating axle so there is no weight on it. But to reduce oil loss, it helps to jack that side up a couple of inches.
Then scrape the paper gasket from both surfaces.

There are two schools of thought for repair. Install another paper gasket, or use some Ultra Grey gasket sealer. The paper gaskets fail, but if you use gasket sealer it is difficult to slide the axle out next time.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear hub with axle removed.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	392529  
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:59 PM   #8

Yes, happen to me just after starting a trip. Found a couple were loose so I re-torqued them, checked the diff fluid level, cleaned the wheel about 4 times to get them to stay clean during the trip. Solved the issue. Figure if it starts again I will replace the gasket. So far I have done a little over 3,000 miles with no leaks. Checked the other side and re-torqued it as well. No leaks but did get some movement on them. Coach had 72,000 miles and I am fairly sure it had never been done. It’s a family coach so I know the history.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #9

My originally began after a towing company tried to remove the wedge keepers around the studs and bent some while trying to hit the center hub with a sledge hammer. Cummins replaced the studs and keepers but after a short trip it began to leak again so Cummins is taking care of the repair since it is under warranty repair. Hopefully they get it right this time, I don't have time to keep carrying it back to repair it. I don't think I will every have it towed again, only put it on a low deck and haul it.
skitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitches View Post
My originally began after a towing company tried to remove the wedge keepers around the studs and bent some while trying to hit the center hub with a sledge hammer. Cummins replaced the studs and keepers but after a short trip it began to leak again so Cummins is taking care of the repair since it is under warranty repair. Hopefully they get it right this time, I don't have time to keep carrying it back to repair it. I don't think I will every have it towed again, only put it on a low deck and haul it.
You can have it towed, just make them remove the drive shaft instead of the 2 axles.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can have it towed, just make them remove the drive shaft instead of the 2 axles.
And make sure whoever removes the driveshaft, marks the position correctly. An out of time driveshaft will caused problems later.

Tags
axle, leak, rear, seal