RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2020, 06:32 AM   #1

Looking at Roadmaster

I am looking at a 2005 Holiday Rambler navigator can anyone tell me what to look out for. also can you get them repaired thanks Denny53
Denny53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum !
Everything is repairable it just depends on what is broken. Did you have a specific issue that you think will need to be addressed if you purchase ?
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The HR Navigator is built on the Roadmaster S-series chassis (the top-of-line chassis). There are no problems with this chassis. Any heavy truck shop can work on it. The components (axles, brakes, steering, etc.) used on this chassis are standard truck parts.

If you are doing an inspection of this Coach, look at the bottom of the slide rooms (make sure the bottom edges are solid). Some of these coaches (not specifically HR) had a problem with water intrusion rotting the floor at the edges due to a poor design (Google "Guardian Plates"). Run the slides in and out, run the AC units (don't forget to test the dash air), run the generator. All of the normal stuff you would check on any Coach.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #4

Nothing special now just wanting information to look for. We are looking to full time in it.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Denny53-

Welcome to iRV2!

Here is a link to a current thread on the Monaco/HR slide floor rot-and-its-repair issue.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Denny, there have been very few issues with the Roadmaster S series chassis.
Some have had the rear axle steel mounting plates crack but those are fairly easily rewelded. Make sure someone inspects these 1/2" steel plates carefully.
What engine does it have and how many miles are on it?

Most of your potential issues are going to be with other systems.
One or more of your Dometic A/C units is already or will very soon go bad.
If it still has a Norcold refrigerator, it needs to either be replaced, or a new cooling unit installed. These refrigerators have caused serious fires.
If not already updated you will need to update the TV's and entertainment systems.
Like Mike said, look at the outside of the slide out floors for wood rot.
Tires need to be replaced at the 7-8 year point regardless of tread remaining. Learn to read the DOT date codes on all tires.
Batteries can be expensive to replace. Check both chassis and house batteries.
Check the Onan 10k generator with a good load (all three A/C units).
Have the engine and transmission oil analyzed.
Lots more.
If you are not familiar with these large diesel coaches find an inspector that is.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny53 View Post
I am looking at a 2005 Holiday Rambler navigator can anyone tell me what to look out for. also can you get them repaired thanks Denny53

I had an 04 Navigator for 9 years. Very well built coach on an excellent chassis. Only issue I had was it would break shock mounts although once repaired never the same one again.

Also look for delamination in the side walls. I noticed a few with this behind the rear slides. Paint quality (paint checking) is a known issue on some.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:03 AM   #8

2004 Sahara

Just bought an 04 Sahara 40' Cummings/Allison drivetrain, 60k miles, finishing the interior remodel the previous owner started. Now I'm moving to the underside, this is my 1st class A, I've had a bumper pull and a 5th wheel also I've farmed so I've owned and serviced several ton + Cummings trucks, whats the best tips for servicing (gaining access to this engine, tranny) any tips on this beast would be appreciated
bamaT11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:26 AM   #9

I am sorry I havenít had my 2005 navigator long enough to find the best way to get to engine and chassis thereís just no room under or in the engine bay
Old 09-21-2020, 01:10 AM   #10

2004 Sahara

Thanks for the reply
bamaT11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadmaster