Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #1

Lost Power at Transmission

Good day to all. I have a 2001 Monaco Diplomat with the Cummins engine that will not start.
I have no power at the transmission ECM or the transmission VIM. I have power at the small 7.5 amp fuses at the back of the coach on the right wall of the battery compartment.
Batteries are new and fully charged, and the engine starts and runs well when the starter solenoid is jumped. All dash lights go off except the trans light.
Is there another connection to the wire that runs from the battery compartment to the ECM and VIM in the front compartment?
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Some history. Just bought the vehicle last week. previous owner last started it 11 months ago normally. He thought it was just dead batteries when we went to buy it.
01MONACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

Have to ask if the Allison shift pad lights up ?

I'm not sure if your VIM looks like mine , or the one that's used on Spartan chassis , but there could be fuses under the VIM cover .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AllisonTrans VIM.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	314666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243 (640x360).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	314667  

Old 01-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #3

Your transmission control may have a wire and fuse near the battery, connected directly to them.

If this problem started with a battery replacement, that's where to look. Often times the fuse and holder is buryed in the harnesses and corroded . Follow one of the smaller wires leading away from the batteries.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #4

That is the VIM i have those fuses are good, and the harness plug has no power at any of the contacts
Old 01-17-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

There are a series of small fuses labeled as eng and transmission on the right side of the battery compartment. They all test good. thank you.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #6

X2 On twinboats reply. Issue comes up often enough, along with gravity or tension just plain making smaller cables like "10ga wire" disappear during battery change or terminal cleaning.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:30 PM   #7

ill get back to it on Friday and look real good again. just don't see where power went to after the trans fuses were hot. thanks for your help.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #8

Not sure whether you have resolved this issue yet.

If not, one thing to possibly check is the wire from the 7.5 a fuse in the battery compartment.

Apparently there is a butt joint on the wire about 18" in which has a history of corroding and causing loss of power to the Transmission Control Module which prevents starting.

Might be worthwhile to trace that wire.

Good luck.

Dave
kidz_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #9

Thank you. i have not resolved the issue yet. I've been in isolation with covid.
i also think i have lost power after that fuse. I will look hard for that splice or a break somewhere after that just as soon as i am able. thank you again.

Tags
power, transmission