Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Motorhome won’t shut down

I’m driving a 2006 Beaver on a Roadmaster chassis. On the last few times out the motorhome does not shut down when the key is turned off. All systems stay up- it’s not just the engine “dieseling”. Motorhome runs fine and nothing appears to be wrong. Tranny is in neutral(NN) and park brake is on. Aside from the obvious engine always running can’t even bring out slides due to engine interlock. This is a major issue for me getting out on the road. Any ideas?
tx2hemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #2

There should be a " run " solenoid in the electrics bay that energizes with the key on.

You may fine it by turning the key on and off or looking at the wiring. It will power up wipers, ign., heater, and things like that.

Next time it don't shut off, bonk it with a screwdriver handle. If it shuts down, that's your problem, a sticky solenoid.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #3

Probably not the same as my Freightliner, but mine wont shut off until I turn off the headlights. I guess its so you don't leave the headlights on, and kill the battery.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:52 PM   #4

Can you kill it using remote maintenance switch in ghe engine bay? I would think that will do it.
Windecker
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Same thing happened on my Beaver. I traced it to a bad alternator. It was feeding 8.5 volts back into the run side of the start relay in the run bay. Not sure of terminology...it's the big ford looking relay mentioned above. Changed out alternator and problem solved.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #6

Maybe has a turbo timer?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
OP, in the rear run box do you have a pair of large rocker switches that will let you start your engine from back there? If so there are two fuses on that board and the right hand one is for your ignition circuit...lift pump and fuel shutoff. The left one is for your starter circuit. Start the engine as usual and then turn the key off and go to the back and pull out the right hand fuse...engine will shut off.

Now send $100 to my PayPal account for future troubleshooting advice on how to fix your problem.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

Another possibility is your toad is plugged in to charge from the 7 pin connector. On Beavers and many Monaco products the toad will backfeed power from the toad battery and keep the coach engine running. Unplug the toad and see if magically the engine dies.

The fix is to put a diode in the charging line to keep the power from backfeeding.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Same thing happened on my Beaver. I traced it to a bad alternator. It was feeding 8.5 volts back into the run side of the start relay in the run bay. Not sure of terminology...it's the big ford looking relay mentioned above. Changed out alternator and problem solved.
The same thing happened to a 1998 Windsor I owned. New alternator and no problems.
kb0mpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Another possibility is your toad is plugged in to charge from the 7 pin connector. On Beavers and many Monaco products the toad will backfeed power from the toad battery and keep the coach engine running. Unplug the toad and see if magically the engine dies.

The fix is to put a diode in the charging line to keep the power from backfeeding.
Great answer, this happened to us today, first time in a pull through with new toad still hooked up to our Beaver coach. DW found your post while I was trying to disassemble ignition switch. Reluctantly I disconnected the 7 pin to toad and poof it shutdown. DW super happy. Thanks a million and will install a diode soon.
Dalesincal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2hemp View Post
I’m driving a 2006 Beaver on a Roadmaster chassis. On the last few times out the motorhome does not shut down when the key is turned off. All systems stay up- it’s not just the engine “dieseling”. Motorhome runs fine and nothing appears to be wrong. Tranny is in neutral(NN) and park brake is on. Aside from the obvious engine always running can’t even bring out slides due to engine interlock. This is a major issue for me getting out on the road. Any ideas?
So how did you shut it down those times?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalesincal View Post
Great answer, this happened to us today, first time in a pull through with new toad still hooked up to our Beaver coach. DW found your post while I was trying to disassemble ignition switch. Reluctantly I disconnected the 7 pin to toad and poof it shutdown. DW super happy. Thanks a million and will install a diode soon.
Glad it worked for you. Thanks for the feedback.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #13

My '06 Patriot Thunder does the same thing intermittently. I thought I had figured out the contributing factors because it was happening 100% of the time if I had turned on my wipers. This became very clear when I was working on my wipers and every time I tested them the ignition would not shut down.

I resolved my issue years ago by having a cut off switch installed in the front run box that cuts off power to the main bus and the ignition relay that is located in there. This is ok EXCEPT when I pull up to the customs and immigration booth and they ask me to shut of the engine I used to not be able to predict when it would not shut down, but now I know it only happens if I activated the wipers. Recently I had a surprise when it DID shut down after using the wipers, so I am not as confident as to where the root problem lies.

In any case it was 100% NOT my alternator feeding back a voltage (often because of a failed diode letting current run the other way rather than isolating it). I put a new alternator in for other reasons and it persisted.

Can't say this is your issue, but it could be something in the dash allowing current to feedback, just enough to keep the ignition relay open. In my case it seems to be the wiper switches in the smart wheel.

Picture of the cut off (big switch with "On" and "Off") put inline where the power cable to the main bus used to run. My usual apology that for some reason all pictures taken on my iPhone appear upside down here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut Off.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	272889  
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Motorhome won’t shut down- resolved

Distaff, sounds like you have a tough one there. Clearly you’re getting some kind of feedback to that panel keeping it alive, probably related to you wiper circuit.

My problem was completely related my tow car. The problem arose because we were returning home without any extended stops in which case, unlike usual, we didn’t unhook the tow car when we stopped for the night. When we got home and unhooked everything was fine. Final resolution was to have a diode installed in the charge line to prevent feedback from the tow car battery.

I later saw later that bucks2 described the exact same thing which just goes to show the benefit to these forums.

Thanks to all for your responses,
Chris H.
tx2hemp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome