Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2023, 01:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Pacbrake, 2000 Monaco Dynasty, RR8 chassis

When Pac brake foot pedal pressed, transmission goes onto 2nd gear but flapper does not close on exhaust. If solenoid at pac brake crossed it closes.
Is there a relay or something that could be causing this. TIA
TraceJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2023, 01:45 PM   #2

This is a little confusing. Perhaps a little more explanation of exactly what is going on and when and how....Driving? What speed? Headlights on or off (yes, there is a connection)? Does it work sometime and other times not? Any more clues?
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink Portblty
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
In my front drivers side electrical bay below the drivers window I have two small fuse boxes. Monaco 1 & 2. In the Monaco #2 box there is a 20 amp fuse and two relays. You might check these.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:04 PM   #4

Contact PacBrake directly for wiring info unless someone here happens to have a copy:

BTW, the transmission does NOT downshift to 2nd gear if at highway speed. It downshifts TOWARD 2nd gear dropping to lower gears as soon as it will not over-speed the engine.

So, with the two window shift pad, the left will show 2 when the exhaust brake is activated. The right window will show what gear it is actually in.

If one window shift pad, it will show 2.

But, similar to being in drive-- it will show 6. That is the gear toward which it will shift, not the actual gear you are in at that stoplight.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Can the one window shift pad be replaced with a two window style?
Old 02-03-2023, 07:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Yes you right about the window and I use the bluefire app that show actual gear, thank you. I will call pac-break Monday.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Can the one window shift pad be replaced with a two window style?

A question for Allison.

But suspect less $$ to buy something like a Scan Gauge D that will tell you that and much more.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'll look and see thank you
Old 02-03-2023, 08:13 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is it engaging at all? If not, check the wires that the Pac Brake is getting is getting power to the solenoid. Consider a blown fuse in the right hand rear electrical bay.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:44 AM   #10

Following because I have the same issue (and year of rig 2000).

When going down the road the foot switch will cause the transmission to shift down, but there is no power to the brake. Replaced the foot switch- no help.

I kinda solved it… my wife wanted a toggle switch because she could not reach the foot petal comfortably. So I ordered a spdt switch and ran a new wire to the pac-brake. (One side of the double pole is the oem side - the other side is the new wire).

I would love to find out where the fuse/relay/bad connection is - but have not been able to figure it out.

There is a fuse for the pac-brake in the front fuse box (driver side). If that one was blown, then the transmission part would not work.

When you solve it - please post your solution.
Rocketman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:14 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Gallivant
I too had the same problem on my 2000 Windsor. The foot pedal would work fine most of the day but then would randomly not work at all. I replaced the foot pedal with a simple switch on the left console which I prefer.

Tags
brake, chassis, monaco, monaco dynasty, problem