Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #1

Power steering/fan pump

2004 dynasty 400isl. I am losing a gallon of hydraulic fluid every 6000. It is not leaking. I've been told there is a drain back hose to the motor between the air compressor and the fluid pump. Has anyone resealed their pump or knows of the manufacturer? Pictures below air compressor and pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210521_120556.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	329410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210521_120533.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	329411  

shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My pump looks different, it is a Sauer Danfoss. Attached is a part page showing the Monaco part number and vendor part number. It is also listed on my data sheet.

Just for the heck of it I went to the REV website and looked up the Monaco part number and it shows the pump but also shows a seal kit, both of which are not in stock but might be able to get.

https://parts.revgroup.com/search?keyword=18766

You might contact them with your VIN number (talk nice) and see if they can give you the info and possibly the seal kit number & order.

If that doesn't work a good hydraulic shop should be able to reseal the pump provided there is not damage to the gears or surfaces. These pumps are pretty bullet proof, we used a lot in the mining industry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Steering Gear Pump.pdf (50.6 KB, 76 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
My pump looks different, it is a Sauer Danfoss. Attached is a part page showing the Monaco part number and vendor part number. It is also listed on my data sheet.

Just for the heck of it I went to the REV website and looked up the Monaco part number and it shows the pump but also shows a seal kit, both of which are not in stock but might be able to get.

https://parts.revgroup.com/search?keyword=18766

You might contact them with your VIN number (talk nice) and see if they can give you the info and possibly the seal kit number & order.

If that doesn't work a good hydraulic shop should be able to reseal the pump provided there is not damage to the gears or surfaces. These pumps are pretty bullet proof, we used a lot in the mining industry.
Wow, thanks ! That is information I needed to have. Just knowing where the tag is helps. I'll see if I can get a camera up over it for a part number.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:34 PM   #4

I'm going to change to 15-40 and put some UV dye in it. Eventually it should show in the engine oil.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Whitehouse products in the UK does deal with and support the Sauer Danfoss pump line. If you get a part number they can probably help. I purchased my thermovalve from them much cheaper and faster then I could have sourced in USA.

I worked in mining and aware of pump failures and you are correct, the pump could fail as you describe, doesn't happen a lot. Not sure how yours is attached to the compressor but an option may be to remove the pump, add a thin gasket between pump and compressor but leave a weep slot at the bottom where the oil could flow out. I would doubt that there is a seal of any type between compressor and pump and you would probably see oil coming out there but without having it apart hard to tell.

Also, we used a couple good hydraulic supply/repair companies to buy and/or repair pumps. Any large shop should be able to source a seal kit or rebuild your pump for a reasonable cost. It ain't rocket science.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I went back and looked the REV info, pump was ~$2500 & 127 day lead time but they had seal kits in stock for $250.
So if you can get your pump number you might get lucky
Old 06-02-2021, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Whitehouse products in the UK does deal with and support the Sauer Danfoss pump line. If you get a part number they can probably help. I purchased my thermovalve from them much cheaper and faster then I could have sourced in USA.

I worked in mining and aware of pump failures and you are correct, the pump could fail as you describe, doesn't happen a lot. Not sure how yours is attached to the compressor but an option may be to remove the pump, add a thin gasket between pump and compressor but leave a weep slot at the bottom where the oil could flow out. I would doubt that there is a seal of any type between compressor and pump and you would probably see oil coming out there but without having it apart hard to tell.

Also, we used a couple good hydraulic supply/repair companies to buy and/or repair pumps. Any large shop should be able to source a seal kit or rebuild your pump for a reasonable cost. It ain't rocket science.
Thankyou for the tip on Whitehouse. I remember you posting about it before.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a data or build sheet for your coach?

If not you might still get one here.

https://www.monacocoach.com/technical-assistance
Old 06-03-2021, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Do you have a data or build sheet for your coach?

If not you might still get one here.

https://www.monacocoach.com/technical-assistance
I have the build sheet, doesn't have much of the engine info or drivetrain on it. I write down numbers as I come across tags.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My build sheet listed the pump!!
Old 06-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #11

Well, my apologies, it is on the build sheet. I don't know how I passed over it and the fan motor both. The pump is the B 5501-36844-136160. I got pictures with a mirror and wifi camera of the tag and no way to read it. Does say made in UK and a TA 30 stamped into the main body. Sauer danfoss
Old 06-03-2021, 06:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Took me a while to figure out the number sequence but I found the pump on the Whitehouse Products website>> Which means seal kits should be available.

Here's a link
https://www.whitehouseproductsltd.co...-36844-136-160

It does provide an alternative part number you can use also.

Best beat, but pricey, would be to contact REV
Old 06-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #13

[QUOTE=jacwjames;5777427]Took me a while to figure out the number sequence but I found the pump on the Whitehouse Products website>> Which means seal kits should be available.

Here's a link
https://www.whitehouseproductsltd.co...-36844-136-160

It does provide an alternative part number you can use also.

That is sure enough it. Got to create a login I guess. Thankyou!
Old 06-04-2021, 07:44 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Yes you will need a login but not a big deal. When I bought my thermo valve from them I paid about half the cost even with shipping and the exchange rate. Really fast shipping also.

I would provide this info to a hydraulic shop also. They might be able to get a seal kit with the pump number. Same with REV and or a local RV repair shop, my guess is they will have access to the Monaco data base and should be able to get parts.

If you pump is leaking fluid into the compressor it could be as simple as a shaft seal but while it is apart I'd replace all of the seals. There will be a minimal number.

Also, the Whitehouse products picture has a better view of the mating surface, there doesn't appear to be a seal of any kind. I would suggest loosening the mounting bolts and prying the pump away from the compress far enough to clear the main flange and see if any oil comes out. No oil>>>No leak!!!

Good luck, keep us posted.

Tags
fan, power, pump, steering