Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What are the pros and cons on the R4 vs R8 chais's? I'm looking at a motorhome that has the R-4 with the 5.9 300hp engine and 5 speed transmiision. Gross weight is 26,500 and combined of 33,000 I'm sure my combined weight will be well under 30,000lbs. How will this compare to my workhorse chasis? as far as pulling grades? mpg in cruise. How bouut the 5 speed vs the 6 speed. As far as the 4 bag vs the 8 bag chasis, I'm more concerned about the ride, the nhandling. thanks for the info.
Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have had both. Our first coach had the RR4 suspension with a 315HP Cummins ISC. Our current coach has the RR8S suspension with a 400 HP Cummins ISL. Fuel mileage is about the same. However, there is a BIG difference between the RR4 and RR8 suspensions. This is particularly true in windy conditions and to a lesser extent true when encountering semis. If you can find a suitable coach with the RR8 suspension, I think, in the long run, you'll be a MUCH happier camper.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I also had the Workhorse chasis W22 35' Adventurer. Can't/won't say anything bad about it. It was a very good unit.

Now have the Monaco 38PDQ on the RR8R chasis. I don't think it can get any better than this.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Compared to your W22, you are going to love the RR4 (and that is not a slam on the W22 - had one for 5 years and it is excellent). It's going to ride better, handle better, climb hills better and brake better too. But I gotta agree with Logthumper - an RR8 would be even better in terms of ride and handling.

We test drove an RR8 under a Holiday Ambassador when we were rig shopping and still had the W22. The difference was immediately evident.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #5

Here are some differences for you:
R4R has 4 shocks and four airbags.
RR8R has 8 shocks and 8 bags.

R4R (assuming you typed this right) doesn't have full pass through storage.
RR8R has full pass through storage.

R4R has airbags mounted farther "inboard"
RR8R has airbags that are "outboard"

Just so the basics are out of the way, RR8R stands for "Raised Rail 8 airbag Rear mounted radiator". The letter before the number is the rail configuration. If there is only one R, it means it is NOT a raised rail chassis and thus will not have full pass through storage. The number is how many airbags the chassis has. The last letter is the placement of the radiator.

Now that all that is out of the way-- and to answer your original question-- if your budget will allow it you won't regret going for the RR8R chassis. If your budget won't allow it, the R4R chassis is still a very good ride and an improvement over the W22.
rvguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by rvguru:
Here are some differences for you:
R4R has 4 shocks and four airbags.
RR8R has 8 shocks and 8 bags.

R4R (assuming you typed this right) doesn't have full pass through storage.
RR8R has full pass through storage.

R4R has airbags mounted farther "inboard"
RR8R has airbags that are "outboard"

Just so the basics are out of the way, RR8R stands for "Raised Rail 8 airbag Rear mounted radiator". The letter before the number is the rail configuration. If there is only one R, it means it is NOT a raised rail chassis and thus will not have full pass through storage. The number is how many airbags the chassis has. The last letter is the placement of the radiator.

Now that all that is out of the way-- and to answer your original question-- if your budget will allow it you won't regret going for the RR8R chassis. If your budget won't allow it, the R4R chassis is still a very good ride and an improvement over the W22.
These statements are correct but I would just like to add one comment. The Roadmaster Chassis is very sensitive to ride height adjustment. If the ride height is not correct the ride and handling will be compromised. I now know that the first thing one should do when purchasing a motorhome on the Roadmaster chassis, whether used or new is to get the ride height checked by a shop that works on the Roadmaster chassis.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote