Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2023, 11:45 PM   #1

S chassis bent

2007 S series with tag
We blew the passenger steer and went off the road at highway speeds on unlevel ground. The shoulder had a sharp decline from the pavement.

Front floor tiles were broke loose above the tire and assumed from tire coming apart. We initially couldn't get the door opened and took my full body force to get it to open. Got to repair facility and found windshield broken some body damage and flooring all near front right corner.

Now several months into the repairs the slide was able to ran out and the guy doing the work called me about some more broken tiles. I went and inspected with him and found nearly all of my center tiles are cracked from the front steps all the way to the bedroom. The windshield guy also noticed a gap between the windshield and the fiberglass. This is my first time being able to open the slide on that side and see it since the accident.

Has anyone heard of these frames twisting or bending to cause this. What else should I look for to determine if it's an issue.

My insurance company Progresive has been very difficult to deal with. No empathy no sense of urgency and 6 week waits to view it. To this day they have never inspected for more than a 5 minute walk around and meet and greet. The accident was July 31st and I habe waited on them for months now.

How do I determine if it's bent or twisted and caused the additional damage to the floors and windshield?
bearscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2023, 07:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Put a jack in the center of your front axel and lift both wheels off the floor. As long as you are on a level flat floor, you can measure from the floor to the frame in multiple places from front to back. If it's straight, the measurments will be even. If it's twisted, your measurments will tell you.

We did a lot of frame straightening at the Peterbilt shop I worked at, but a MH will be a very different animal because you have to go past quite a way to get the twist out. Probably have to disconnect the house from the frame in a few places.

Good luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The Roadmaster Chassis under your Dynasty is a pretty stout frame but with enough force I'm sure it could have warped/bent.

One thing you might do is remove the ceiling panels in the basement bays and see if you can see any signs of the frame twisting or movement. Besides the two main chassis rails Monaco used angle/tubing structure from side to side and this is what the flooring is fastened to.

On my rig they used self taping screws to fasten the plywood to the chassis, maybe with enough force screws sheared off.

I don't believe you will be able to lift the house off the chassis. The chassis if built first, plywood is laid down before the side walls are dropped in place. The sidewalls on you coach are steel/tubular design and it is welded along the length of the walls.

You might be able to so as the previous posted suggested, as far as trying to measure for any type of deflection. Maybe run a string along the side wall and see if there is a wider or narrower gap front to back and any deviation of the wall, maybe using the belt molding as a visual.

I would be trying to work you way up the ladder with your insurance company. If there is a problem with the chassis you might be looking at a "total" type of claim.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:13 AM   #4

You went down the ditch missing a tire so for sure it bottomed out at that corner hard. Then there's recovery hopefully the tried to put a rim and tire on for that .
I would push to get it to shop that can measure the frame . Get names keep asking to get up the ladder job title wise for determination of status or repair or payout.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
RR10 chassis bent

I think that if you were to do any measurements it would be found to be fine. I think the loss of the tire and the momentary violent twisting that occurred when you went off the road caused the tile to pop.
Sorry to hear about the issue with Progressive. This is certainly not the first time that I’ve heard about being distant when needed. I personally experienced it when someone else was at fault at hit my truck. It took me months to get everything squared away. I left them after that and will never consider using them again.
Unfortunately, I think you will experience a significant out of pocket cost to get the tile issue resolved. I think it would be easiest to remove all of the tile and install an engineered flooring.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis