Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #43

I just joined this forum and looking towards life after law enforcement. I'm still currently on the job in Honolulu and will be making my 25th year in October. I'm planning on retiring in about 3 to 5 years and going semi time in the rv. I'm planning on getting a year old Allegro Bus when the time comes. Any suggestions on footage. I'm planning on visiting all the national parks.
Agmatafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 02:01 AM   #44

I would stay under 35 ft if you are doing state and federal parks..once you hit 35ft and up your options at many parks are limitted...I have a fleetwood 33 bounder, I have been to them all, full timing for the last year and a half. Some parks don't have any slots for big rigs and some only have a few, and they are often full..
narcdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #45

I'm a retired Chief of Police from Alabama. I was a cop for 35 years (37 if you count jail time). Twenty five of those years was on our SWAT Team. I've been retired two and a half years. I miss the people but not being chief. My wife still works but has a lot of time off so we camp at least a week each month. As a lot of you know, we are more comfortable around other cops. I'm glad I found this thread. Thanks to the person who started it.
Layton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Retired after 27 years.....Sold all my rental properties and moved down south..Don't miss the job at all.... Don't even listen to the news anymore..Tired of all the foolishness..

What I do enjoy is being able to enjoy my retirement..
Old 06-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcdawg View Post
I would stay under 35 ft if you are doing state and federal parks..once you hit 35ft and up your options at many parks are limitted...I have a fleetwood 33 bounder, I have been to them all, full timing for the last year and a half. Some parks don't have any slots for big rigs and some only have a few, and they are often full..

Thanks for the input but my wife wants our life on the road to feel as close to home life as possible. I'm feeling that the under 40' might be too small for her. So of course I'll be sacrificing the experience for her happiness. I'm curious on what the owners of the 40' and above MHs do for the national parks? Also how would someone find out which roads have size restrictions? Thanks for the info.

Just a side note about work. Last night my officers were called to a fled scene accident. The vehicle that fled the scene happened to be owned by an officer but no one actually saw who was driving the vehicle. I went through all the steps of sending a follow up officer to ascertain who was driving the vehicle and to locate the vehicle but met with negative results. I figured that since our department policy says to make notification to command staff when an officer is "involved" but we could not verify who the driver was I made no notification other then a highlight synopsis that the command staff would see later. This morning I get a call questioning me on why I'd didn't make proper notifications. I explain to my LT. my reasoning and he concurred yet I still have to explain in writing to the command staff. So ridiculous I thought. I may be wrong but it just seems the climate today for officers is assume the worse and not give the benefit of the doubt. One of many reasons I want to retire.
Agmatafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a 40ft coach and have never stayed at a state park.. Not because of size.. There are parks that can accommodate a big rig.. The issue at least here in Fl is they are booked a year in advance....as for which roads are safe and passable .. I rely on a MH specific GPS.. It takes into account height, weight and LP restrictions..
Old 10-16-2015, 05:19 AM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Retired January 2014 - 30 years in upstate NY. Wife still works for a few more years but has ample time off. We travel and always bring our motor. We would enjoy hanging out around the campfire with brother / sister law enforcement.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:34 AM   #50

Retired in 89 from NJSP but couldn't sit and look out the window, been motorhoming since 72 after getting home from VietNam. Always able to find a good seasonal job running something for somebody who needed help/guidence. Then back down to Florida, oh ya Jonathan Dickenson, been there done that. Even the year it almost burnt down. Now for the past 3 years just plain old retired enjoying my grandkids. This year winter, 2 mts, in Hobe Sound Florida.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired from the Michigan State Police 2nd District Dispatch Center (Detroit) Not an LEO.. but I did (And still do) get paid to (For) telling them where to go.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
Recently retired line of duty disabled and will be heading s/b just after holidays in my newly acquired Thor Citation 24' sprinter from N.Y. Can not deal with the cold weather. I am new to R V in and would appreciate any and all support from my fellow retired LEOs.
jjamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Retired disabled from Town of Yorktown PD in NY back in 1998. Moved to Florida in 2000 and never looked back. We travel six months a year with a 35' Monaco LaPalma diesel pusher and pull a 24' enclosed trailer that holds our motorcycle, two kayaks, two bicycles, a handicap cart and our van. Having worked outdoors most of my life and afflicted with an incurable case of wonderlust, RV ing and motorcycling has been an unbeatable combination. I have a large Thin Blue Line license plate on the front of my coach and that has led to many great encounters with fellow law enforcement officers. Being with the Blue Knights has helped in finding law enforcement related riding events. Being a member of the "Check of the month club" has been great.
rick.rutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
Not retired yet but 17 years in. I have met a few retired guys at various campgrounds.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #55

Retired LEO

Hello
Retired from Ct. with 32 yrs. of experience in 2013. Worked in Haiti as a police advisor and also worked in Iraq. Purchased our first RV and also own a Harley. Count me in on joining. Presently living in Florida enjoying the sunshine.

Kevin
Kev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev7 View Post
Hello
Retired from Ct. with 32 yrs. of experience in 2013. Worked in Haiti as a police advisor and also worked in Iraq. Purchased our first RV and also own a Harley. Count me in on joining. Presently living in Florida enjoying the sunshine.

Kevin
Hey Kevin. Welcome. I was in Iraq 4-06 thru 4-07 on iplo mission. Looked into Haiti but work got in the way. Lol. Glad you made it home.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote