RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #1

Thousand Trails and Big Rigs

My wife an I are looking into purchasing a used TT parks pass. If anyone that has a 45' coach that has any experience with this organization I would certainly enjoy to hear from you. That and we are attempting to get one with 180 day booking window to further help with our size. We have toured 2-3 different parks on the Oregon Coast and one I probably would never take my coach to. The others are a maybe. We are also looking at upgrading to their Trails Collection to add the 100+ parks as an option. I am sure that I am opening a can of worms by asking all of this. The reseller is telling us no problem but I thought I would throw it out here to all of you that use the product.Thank you for any help.

oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #2

Iím going to go out on a limb and say there are very few people that could answer this question. There are some parks that are tight and some that have huge pull-through sites. Weíre in one of the TC parks that could accomodate that size easily. Weíve been to a couple parks in the PNW that were tight. Iím on a Facebook page and you wouldnít believe the number of times that specific question is asked about parks. Weíre only 33 feet and have never had a problem.

What ever you do make sure that you can go park-to-park and note that even 1 day in a TC park counts as a stay so you canít go from one to the next without a week out. You can go from a TT-TC-TT but the time between TC parks needs to be 7 days no matter what once you use it.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #3

TT.
They have some truly nifty parks, but most are not at all worthy!
If you donít mind the challenged campsites, the annual renters with the prime sites, nor mind the poor locations for those that prefer adventure rather than stationary camping that is only 2-weeks in, youíll love TT.
Downhill, they have gone, and that, for a long time.

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
surely you jest
we are 40 and a few inches. I can say all the texas parks you can get in. the problem is the sites or sites you may fit on may be taken. You dont get to pick sites EVER, no matter how long or in advance you book.

You only book a "SPOT" in the number of SPOTS they have .

this means you often find small trailers in 50 amp sites or the large NICE level sites and my favorite are tents on BIG sites.

but Thousand trails allows by their rules, if you OWN a membership then you can use any open site, no matter your rigs size or power need

and once you go to reserve a SPOT it will say based on your choices, that there are xxx number of sites available when you book. that does not mean you may have a site, only that at time of booking there were open sites.

they play loose like airlines
if there is 300 SPOTS and 250 are reserved, it will show 50 open when you reserve your site. but time goes by so the day you arrive there maybe 10 spots open and none of those 10 are usable.

Lake medina does this to another level, they count all the NON FUCNTIONING spots as OPEN , so you may see 300 spots total and 100 open, but you arrive and BAM less than 10 are empty and or NONE are usable for your rig.
it sucks and i have been complaining since month three when we joined 9 years 6 months ago

and many of the parks you could easily FIT a 45 footer on a SPOT, but the road and trees in your path prevent you from using the SPOT.

IMO dont waste your money
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2016 Expedition or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #5

I think at this point we are going to just sit back and wait. From this source and others we have gotten such a mixed amount of thoughts. It seems as though the negatives are greater than the positives. I believe that if we were in the 25'-35' range finding a space would be much easier. But at 45' we have limited options not only in spaces that would accommodate us but in the ways that the parks are laid out for us to be able to negotiate the turns.

Their reservation system doesn't seem to be in their members best interest. There is no way to assure that there is a space that will fit a coach the length as ours even though we have a reservation. It sounds as though there is a large amount of year around campers in these parks that take up the better sites as in level, 50A, and FHU.

I really would like to purchase into this as it sounds like a no-brainer on paper. We have watched many different folks on You Tube that have good luck also but again they have shorter coaches or trailers. We just don't want to plan out our trips and find that when we get to a location that we are supposed to be staying for 14-21 days that we can't get into any of their open spaces or negotiate the campgrounds roads to the space.

There also seems to be a great variable in the quality and condition of their parks around the country. As we travel to country we will go and visit more parks in different areas and get a feel of our own whether we want to spend the money to purchase a plan.

Thank you to those that have commented on here. We appreciate all of your views.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I joined TT in 88. I have a 43' class A and can either fit in 20% of the parks. 50amp not available everywhere either. Some are 50 years old, some update to pull through and FHU, we back into plenty. Would I join again, no. I am dropping them and may get a zone pass some it is cheaper than current dues.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
I think at this point we are going to just sit back and wait. From this source and others we have gotten such a mixed amount of thoughts. It seems as though the negatives are greater than the positives. I believe that if we were in the 25'-35' range finding a space would be much easier. But at 45' we have limited options not only in spaces that would accommodate us but in the ways that the parks are laid out for us to be able to negotiate the turns.

Their reservation system doesn't seem to be in their members best interest. There is no way to assure that there is a space that will fit a coach the length as ours even though we have a reservation. It sounds as though there is a large amount of year around campers in these parks that take up the better sites as in level, 50A, and FHU.

I really would like to purchase into this as it sounds like a no-brainer on paper. We have watched many different folks on You Tube that have good luck also but again they have shorter coaches or trailers. We just don't want to plan out our trips and find that when we get to a location that we are supposed to be staying for 14-21 days that we can't get into any of their open spaces or negotiate the campgrounds roads to the space.

There also seems to be a great variable in the quality and condition of their parks around the country. As we travel to country we will go and visit more parks in different areas and get a feel of our own whether we want to spend the money to purchase a plan.

Thank you to those that have commented on here. We appreciate all of your views.
I think that is a good move on your part. We had three zone passes and had a horrible time getting our VTDP 4369 into most of their sites. Rarely could we get into a park without issue. I would normally call the park and ask if it was possible, and they would say yes. Then you get there and either the low hanging tree branches would be in the way or the road was tight and getting into the site was near impossible. We dropped it after second year and never looked back.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
TT.
They have some truly nifty parks, but most are not at all worthy!
If you donít mind the challenged campsites, the annual renters with the prime sites, nor mind the poor locations for those that prefer adventure rather than stationary camping that is only 2-weeks in, youíll love TT.
Downhill, they have gone, and that, for a long time.
I think it's kind of unfair to say "most" unless you have been in all of them. In my experience, "most" of the TT locations we have been in (note the phrasing) are more than adequate for big rigs. And then there's Sturbridge in MA, which they should just bulldoze and start over. Williamsburg VA is cramped but workable. Having said that, one thing we notice is that some locations have limited numbers of full hookup sites.

Overall our TT experience has been good. Except for Sturbridge. I would only wish that place on my worst enemy.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 06-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we looked at the TT system, you could make a reservation, but not guaranteed a 50 amp site as they have a limited number of 50 amp sites. We do not do well on 30 amps with our 40 ft 5er.

Ken
Old 06-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
When we looked at the TT system, you could make a reservation, but not guaranteed a 50 amp site as they have a limited number of 50 amp sites. We do not do well on 30 amps with our 40 ft 5er.

Ken
In the locations we visit, TT has been aggressively upgrading power to provide 50 amps at far more sites. It's been a project of several years, but we're seeing the results. Things have improved greatly in the 5 years we've had our TT membership.

Roger
Old 06-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #11

We had a TT zone pass for about 7-8 years. The small town we live in has a TT park and we stored our motorhome there for a couple of years. And the small town my sister lives in 1500 miles away the only campground in town is a TT. We very rarely ever stayed in a Thousand Trails park outside of the one in our town and the one in my sisters town. I would have to say though that most of the people that work at TT parks are great. They make the most of what they have.

I would recommend against getting a membership. Back when Roy Rogers was doing ads for them it was a high class place, no longer.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote