Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
1969 Corvette motor rebuild (little lengthy)

I said I might start a thread on the motor rebuild I'm in the middle of right now, and was urged to put it here. So here I am, getting started with it.

As a brand new Airman in the USAF, in 1975, I bought a 65 Corvette convertible. Well, my wife was active duty, and she got pregnant. She decided to get out right when the baby was born. Shortly after that I sold the Corvette, and regretted having to every day, even today.

I saw the car advertised in the local paper as a 1969 big block Corvette (I bet ya you know how I got my name now, huh) that stated it had a 454 in it. I put the paper down and turned to walk away. Well......I picked it up and put the sellers number in my phone. I called him a day or so later, and went to look at it. Holy shamoly, what a beautiful 69 it was. I took my wife over to look, and for a ride. Needless to say, we bought it.

I changed the intake manifold and carb so it would run and idle good. Took it to a big car show (Cars in the Park, Sierra Vista, AZ) that had over 350 total cars. As it turns out, we took first place for 2 seat American sports car, all years, I think. We were so shocked that we didn't hardly speak the hour and a half it took to get home. Plain shocked....

Now to current, the car started to overheat after about 20 minutes of driving it. I installed a new aluminum radiator, had it fixed, so I thought. Started to overheat again, but after 45 minutes. Ok, I'm not going to play this game, down she goes. It sat for a while so I could save money to pay for all the parts I wanted for the motor. I started buying parts and before you know it, I'm almost ready to get underway.

I get it on jack stands, pull the hood off, and get started. I used my shop vacuum to drain the coolant from the radiator. That's a trick I learned a long time ago, and it works pretty good. I take the intake and the heads off, and the bottom end of the motor doesn't look too bad. This little angel or devil, sitting on my shoulder told me to pull the motor all the way out, and take it to the machine shop. Man, was that ever a good idea, as it turns out.

I have some time, so I get a transmission seal kit and get started on that. I took all the seals out and replaced them, it seemed to work just fine before, so I'm hoping I wasn't wrong on this one. Got it almost done, new torque convertor, cleaned and painted, ready to install again, and....

I get a call from the machine shop and I'm told the thrust on the crank is way out of limits. So, another expense to have it welded and re-machined to proper tolerances. Ok, press on. The block was full of gunk and corrosion. Another expense to have it ultrasonic cleaned. Shorten this up a little, $1700 later, I'm getting my motor out of hock at the machine shop.

So, now the block is clean and mounted on the engine stand, ready to start work. I get started and check clearances, and all the prep work that goes in to the first stage of the build.

I also installed the underbody insulation that came from the factory on the outside of the floorboards to keep some heat out of the interior floor. Then the metal shields over that. Boy howdy, it's starting to look good now. And, back to the motor building....

I had a hiccup with the camshaft gear and the "button to keep the cam from "walking" in the block. That's all done, carry on. That was really the only hiccup in the engine build, everything went pretty good, until it was done enough to install it back in the car. Transmission is back in, the engine is on the hoist, and here we go.

It goes in pretty smooth, with my wife helping me. Then a neighbor is walking by, and him and his wife stop and he helps. The women, at this point just stand back and watch us. Not a bad thing on the girls, us two fellas just had a language that they didn't understand. 30 minutes, and she's sitting on the motor mounts, and the first bell housing bolts went in to secure the trans and motor together.

Since that day, I've just been adding all the rest of the parts to make it run. And I'm close to being done. More to come, and I'll post some pics when I get home, I don't have any on my work computer, so....

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

I can relate, you never know what has or has not been done on an engine until you get it apart. You mentioned the cam button, does that mean you have a later model roller cam engine block?

Nothing like some big block torque to put a smile on your face.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I can relate, you never know what has or has not been done on an engine until you get it apart. You mentioned the cam button, does that mean you have a later model roller cam engine block?

Nothing like some big block torque to put a smile on your face.
I have a 71 LS-5 454 that was in the car when I bough it. I did install a roller cam, hence the cam button. It was a complete kit from Comp Cams, and had the wrong button, and retainer. So, I got a new cam chain, gears, button and retainer. It's on the money now.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

This is called the "Tom Sawyer Whitewash Fence principle", and has been successfully used around the world to entice onlookers to become workers - especially when the lure is anything automotive .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockTank View Post
.... Then a neighbor is walking by, and him and his wife stop and he helps. The women, at this point just stand back and watch us. Not a bad thing on the girls, us two fellas just had a language that they didn't understand. 30 minutes, and she's sitting on the motor mounts, and the first bell housing bolts went in to secure the trans and motor together...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
This is called the "Tom Sawyer Whitewash Fence principle", and has been successfully used around the world to entice onlookers to become workers - especially when the lure is anything automotive .
Ok, not just a neighbor, but a friend. He had stopped by for a beer before. I think he really wanted to be there, he told me I should've called him when I was doing it.

But then, I've had about 10 people tell me that they want to help. I can tell you, that's the only help I've had in this whole process, except for my kinda sorta semi adopted son that was there for the motor coming out. Other than that, It's been me crawling over this thing, and I'm ok with that.
(I think everybody knows I'm pretty particular)

Old 03-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Downloading pictures now. Probably will make it tomorrow to post them. I'm still working, and 4:30 comes early around here....

Old 03-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I enjoyed the mental trip you gave us.

Some years ago (15) I employed a "mechanic" to install a new Crank in my 454 MH , because of Thrust issues. He told me a piston was chipped, so, he installed a piston as well. When he got done-I had a Piston Slap, and not even an ounce of help from that idiot.

I personally removed the 454 out the drivers door-a piece at a time . Took the Block to a machine shop, for a rework. Turns out, the first Clown put in the wrong piston! The whole episode took about a week of my time (around Christmas) . So, what you are doing is the only way to be sure your rebuild is right. Good Luck!

PS- I know that is a "tight" work area, I have worked on a corvette or two-takes a lot of patience to do most anything on those older models that the fender does not lift up with the hood.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a bout with leaky eyes last night, and didn't get any pics posted. I will try to get some loaded during this weekend. I hope those that read, enjoy.
BBTank

Old 03-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks for sharing, can't wait for pictures. My big block was a 1970 Chevelle SS 396, 4 speed that I wish I never sold.
Bobaloo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
In 1969 I had a 69 with the 350 350HP 4 speed and both tops.
Sure miss it. Traded it in 74 for a new Lincoln Mark IV with a 460
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #11

WOW! Your post brought back memories of my 1969 427cu in, 390 hp, 4-speed. The only car I wish I still owned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Corvette 427-390 hp.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	120511  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcannonball View Post
WOW! Your post brought back memories of my 1969 427cu in, 390 hp, 4-speed. The only car I wish I still owned.

Yea...tell me about it :(

Click image for larger version

Name:	6vette9.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	120517
Old 03-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Osborne View Post
Yea...tell me about it :(

Attachment 120517
That looks very close to mine, mine is a brandywine color, not quite as much red.

I've not felt 100%, and been busy. I haven't had time to post the pics, but I have them on my laptop, soon as I figure out how to post them.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Big Block Corvette

Make sure you have a factory GM fan Clutch! The aftermarkets do not work. Im helping a friend restore a 67 435 right now. Have owned many of these cars. Spent 35 yrs at GM dealers Service Manager.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote