Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Any crocheters?

Just curious if there are others who are addicted to yarn and don't go a day without a crochet hook in his/her hand? Right now I am crocheting cotton baby blankets for our new born grand daughter. When I am not crocheting for grand kids I crochet for charity. Do you find it hard to find really fun yarn shops when you are some place new. How do you find these gems?

Debbie currently in Jonesboro, LA
ladybostons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #2

My friend had taken up crocheting before she died (age 43) in 2006.
My sisters used to crochet a lot. They also made several quilts. All 7 of my sisters were good seamstresses also.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Debbie. I have crocheted afghans for years. Very relaxing. I give them as gifts. I just started knitting flamenco scarves to sell for some extra spending money. I get my yarns at Michael, Hobby Lobby and some at Walmart.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

No, I don't crochet...........HOWEVER, my wife has crocheted over 50 years, with most of the last 20 years devoted to making custom hats; she is currently as I write this finishing a hat that will go to a man in South Africa tomorrow. She has hats all over the world now; and no, it doesn't make her a lot of money, but, as she says..."I just love making my hats"

We have more thread on hand at any given time than the average Walmart. She has a collection of over 1000 books, and untold individual patterns. Some of these patterns are well over 100 years old.

She has crocheted with yarn, cotton, silk, wire, plastic, hemp, strips of cloth, strips of plastic Walmart bags.......if you can "hook it", she can crochet it .....LOL
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I'm not a crocheter, but the DW says I'm crotchety. Close enough?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
Hi Debbie. I have crocheted afghans for years. Very relaxing. I give them as gifts. I just started knitting flamenco scarves to sell for some extra spending money. I get my yarns at Michael, Hobby Lobby and some at Walmart.
I have never crocheted for money. I have fibromyalgia and crochet when I can. Unfortunately the pain doesn't always allow me to crochet when I want to. So, I crochet pretty slow. My Memere (grandmother) taught me to crochet. So I have been crocheting for 35 yrs or so. We don't have Hobby Lobby in WA. We summer there because that is home. We have started going south for the winters this last winter. I don't do well in the cold.

Debbie
Full time wife
Full timer RVer
Full time crocheter
Full time Boston Terrier owner
Old 05-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
No, I don't crochet...........HOWEVER, my wife has crocheted over 50 years, with most of the last 20 years devoted to making custom hats; she is currently as I write this finishing a hat that will go to a man in South Africa tomorrow. She has hats all over the world now; and no, it doesn't make her a lot of money, but, as she says..."I just love making my hats"

We have more thread on hand at any given time than the average Walmart. She has a collection of over 1000 books, and untold individual patterns. Some of these patterns are well over 100 years old.

She has crocheted with yarn, cotton, silk, wire, plastic, hemp, strips of cloth, strips of plastic Walmart bags.......if you can "hook it", she can crochet it .....LOL
I love to see replies from proud hubbies. That is awesome! I crochet for the love of crocheting. My Memere taught me to crochet and passed all her crochet books to me. I feel so close to her when i am crocheting. I have books as old as the early 1900's and brand spanking new ones. Most of the new ones are in digital format, but I have taken apart the old ones because they were well used and put each page in protective sleeves so I don't touch them when I use them. They don't travel with me. I really should scan them all. I work with thread, in fact that is what I learned on. All I made for a long time were doilies. Now I crochet other things. I have quite a stash of yarn/thread that travels with me. When I am not making things for grand children or family I make things like scarves for the homeless or hats for babies. I have some yarn I bought just for me, but I haven't had time to work on that project and now it is just too darn hot to be working on a cardigan. I have a cotton receiving blanket I am almost finished with. Cotton isn't too bad to work with when it is hot.

We are in LA right now because our daughter just gave birth to our newest Granddaughter, Lily. We are expecting our third granddaughter in June. We went from thinking we would never have any grand children to having 5! What a shock to the system that is. LOL My hooks are in total melt down. I am so grateful that my DH not only let's me buy yarn but actually facilitates the yarn buying process. I don't have to hide my stash. Where in the world would you HIDE things in a 40 ft mh? LOL

Happy Hooking everyone. I hope to maybe meet up with some of you or correspond with some. Be safe and have fun!

Oh yes, we will be leaving the little town we are currently parked in at the end of next week and heading for Monroe, LA. Have to get a few repairs done to the RV before we can head too much farther down the road. After Monroe, we will head to Memphis and Murfreesboro, TN. Gotta eat BBQ in Memphis and visit a friend in Murfreesboro. Then we will be on to Red Bay, AL for larger repairs and some warrantee work. This has been a tough trip. I hope next year goes better.

Debbie
Old 05-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
[QUOTE=ladybostons;1166405]I have never crocheted for money. I have fibromyalgia and crochet when I can. Unfortunately the pain doesn't always allow me to crochet when I want to. So, I crochet pretty slow. My Memere (grandmother) taught me to crochet. So I have been crocheting for 35 yrs or so. We don't have Hobby Lobby in WA.
\
Well so far I have not made a dime, but a friend has made several hundred on the scarves. We will see how it goes in the fall. No one wants a scarf in the summer even tho it is a light weight. The afghans I give away. I order some yarns online, as there is nothing close by so the shipping charge is less than I would pay for gas. We are in Kentucky this summer, but hope to be able to buy the yarn local when we get back to NC. I used to do the cross stitch and loved it, but I can't see as well to do that anymore. My daughter has fibromyalgia and some days are very painful for her so I understand what you are feeling. I have arthritis that so far has not gone to my hands, but is in my spine and hip. Aging is not for sissy's.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #9

DH and I are new to full timing and one of the first rings I did was find a place for my crochet stuff. I've been crocheting for as long as I can remember, I've taught my daughter, and my son, most recently I taught my granddaughter and my grandson (twins). My son used to love to crochet when he was younger and made all sort of manly scarves, wallets etc. I mostly make afghans, baby things, household items, although I really got into making baskets at one time and think I will again for the Rv maybe even sell them for a little extra cash. I whipped out a remote holder the other day for DH. I love crocheting with cotton yarn and have mad quite a few small rugs. This site is so great, I love being able to talk to people who, even though I don't know them personally, I have something in common with and understand the little ins and outs of Living in an Rv.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #10

Hi Kris! My husband laughs at my "stash" which is tucked all around the coach. Fortunately we have 40 ft for me to work with. I crochet blankets, baby clothes, scarves, shawls, tops, sweaters etc. but I always forget to take pictures. I don't remember how old I was when I learned to crochet, but I remember it was my darling Memere (my Moms Mom) who taught me. I know I was a kid and then we did refresher courses throughout my visits with her when I got older. I think of her every time I pick up a hook. I interchange making jewelry with crocheting and am wanting to try crocheting with wire. Escapees has a birds of a feather group for quilting but no one seems to have a crochet group....sometimes there are knitting groups...but I am a die hard crocheter. I sure hope you like the full time life style, I know I do. I don't think we will be doing much traveling this winter because I have loads of doctors stuff to take care of. We shall see. Again....WELCOME!

Debbie
Currently in Poulsbo WA
2003 40 ft Tiffin Allegro Bus DP
Chevy HHR...Sunburst Orange! Toad!
2 Boston Terriers...comedy relief...
Old 09-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #11

Hi Debbie!
Me too! I learned how to knit, xstitch etc but crocheting is my thing. I would love to have someone to share patterns, tips etc with so maybe we can get something going here. I haven't had any time at all since Jan or Feb to crochet due to all the preparation to start full timing. I'm hoping things will settle down soon and I can get back to it. I had to chuckle the other day thinking that after a couple of years everything in the Rv might be covered with crochet. Can't you just see it now -crochet rugs, couch cover, dust covers for everything, seat covers for the cab, afghans, wall hangings. LOL I will definitely have to give some things away! We won't be doing any traveling this winter either, we'll stay close to the Moms who are both elderly and live alone so we'll take this time to take care of things for them and spend the holidays. I hope your medical issues aren't too serious, my DH has a few that we deal with on routine basis but nothing catastrophic thank goodness. Well Thank You for the welcome and I hope we can keep in touch
Old 09-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #12

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinout View Post
Hi Debbie!
Me too! I learned how to knit, xstitch etc but crocheting is my thing. I would love to have someone to share patterns, tips etc with so maybe we can get something going here. I haven't had any time at all since Jan or Feb to crochet due to all the preparation to start full timing. I'm hoping things will settle down soon and I can get back to it. I had to chuckle the other day thinking that after a couple of years everything in the Rv might be covered with crochet. Can't you just see it now -crochet rugs, couch cover, dust covers for everything, seat covers for the cab, afghans, wall hangings. LOL I will definitely have to give some things away! We won't be doing any traveling this winter either, we'll stay close to the Moms who are both elderly and live alone so we'll take this time to take care of things for them and spend the holidays. I hope your medical issues aren't too serious, my DH has a few that we deal with on routine basis but nothing catastrophic thank goodness. Well Thank You for the welcome and I hope we can keep in touch
I would love to see a group started. I belong to a knitting and crochet forum but they rarely talk about crochet. It is HUGE with the knitters from all over the world. I am just learning how to do Tunisian crochet. I have frogged the afghan I am working on back to the foundation chain probably around 4 times. I keep messing the count up somewhere. LOL

I have been living in an RV for the past 4-5 years. Last winter was the first time we traveled. I have fibromyalgia and traveling is really hard on me. We traded in our 40 ft 5th wheel a year ago for the Tiffin mh we at living in right now. It is much easier on me to travel in. I love my mh! But I don't have any crochet stuff in it. I give away everything I make for gifts. I don't crochet very fast. Heck, I don't do anything very fast any more. My Mom is 78 going on 65! LOL she is really a pistol. My Mom knits, but I have never been able to teach her to crochet...just like she has never been able to teach me to knit. I just don't get knitting and find it so much easier to fix mistakes in crochet then knitting. For some reason I lose interest in kitting pretty fast. Go figure. I am winter in Poulsbo, WA. Where are you?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
My Grandma taughtme to crochet many years ago. I only crochet sporadically. Last thing I made was a baby blanket for my granddaughter and she's almost 3 now. I had planned to crochet 1 snowflake per week this year to put on a Christmas tree, but I think I only finished 2 or 3 so maybe I can do better next year.

My real passion is cross stitch, but my eyes are getting old (How dare they ) so it takes longer to finish projects these days.
Swansonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #14

We are in SE Virginia for the winter to be close to the Moms, who both still live independently, so we will spend the holidays with them and help them out with whatever we can. I think one of the most touching things I ever heard of regarding crochet/ knitting was a couple of months ago when we were having our big yard sale. I had this huge box of scrap yarn in one of the upstairs rooms, a woman who was looking around asked how much I wanted for the entire box (which I wasn't planning on selling) then told me she and a group of friends crochet/knit burial outfits for babies and donate them to area hospitals etc. Needless to say I donated the entire box to them. I was thinking about making hats and scarves and donating them to homeless shelters, veterans homes, etc. I wonder if the military hospitals like Bethesda or Walter Reed would accept donations of afghans for the wounded Vets? Sorry, I'm having an ADD moment.