Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Any RC airplane flyers here?

I like to fly rc airplains at the campground if they let you it seems to bring alot of kids to the firld where you are as they like to watch you fly and with remote cam you can video your flight and play it back later for a birds eye view of the camp ground
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have been flying RC since 1988 and starting to wind down now from it. I have five planes now, but can't find time to go lately. I think I been once this year. I do hope to go Sautrday if the weather permits.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just started last year so I'm a complete newbie. I haven't progressed very far but I think I have found someting that suits me and my ability so far, and that's the mircos. They fly slow and I can fly them in my yard, when there is no wind, early morning and some evenings. There is a small park about a mile from my house that I can use to fly in, so I don't have to travel to a large flying field.

All my planes are less than an ounce in weight so they don't handle more than about 3 mph winds. On the windy days that I want to fly, I have a micro helicopter that works out just fine for flying in the house. All of the planes that I have are 3 channel with the exception of the helicopter which is a 4 channel. I have a 4 channel plane on order that has ailerons so that will give me something new to learn.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #4

I have this park flyer http://www.lightflite.com/ I cant fly so good though. I play around on the simulator on the computer.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike,

I have seen those fly and they look pretty neat.

I think IMHO this is probably the best trainer plane made. Remember, I'm still a newbie to RC flying.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3300

You can fly it inside or outside on calm days. It flys really slow, turns on a dime, and is a pleasure to fly. Probably the most fun I've had since learning to fly.

It gets lots of ooohs and aaaahs when I fly it in the park or just about anywhere

Ron
Old 07-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Here is one of the models I enjoy flying. The wingspand is 88 inches powered by a Supre Tigre 2300
Name:   tomneal.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  20.2 KB
Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice looking plane

It looks like at my age and failing eyesight I'll be stuck with my micros

Even those little planes can get away from me pretty quick, maybe it's my brain that can't keep up

Ron
Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #8

I have been flying RC for a number of years, and nearly always carry at least one plane in the toad. I find that electric is much better for this, as I don't need to carry the big flight box, fuel and such. With electric, just the batteries and recharger and ready to go. Also I swapped my radio to a 2.4g so there would be no worry about channels or interference. I currently carry a E-Flight T-28, two batteries, and the charger. It flys very well, is big enough to see, and nice enoughto draw a lot of attention. It does need a bit more room than a park flyer, but I have found several parks with enough open areas. To show off, a eFlight mini Ultra Stick can stay in close, and really show off the aerobatics and 3D stuff if you can handle that.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My new addition

Micro RC with ailerons

Haven't learned to fly this one yet

I think I've stepped in over my head on this one. I was doing pretty good with my 3 channel airplanes, but this new 4 channel one is giving me a fit

So far I can't even make one complete circuit before crash, lot of crashes. So far I have managed to lose the landing gear, broke the nose, broke the fuselage, several dings in the wings

I know one thing, I need a much larger field than the one I'm using now with my other micros.

Ron
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I was going to wind down from RC flying but last week I got a 1/4 scale Super Cub. I had a Saito 150 that I was not using and this plane is made for it. Now I got to get seven servos and a receiver.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom,

I think they should put a warning label on these planes "Possible Adiction"

I have just gotten started and my hangar of micros is growing. I just got this last week Horizon Hobby and now I have ordered this Horizon Hobby: Ultra-Micro P-51 BNF by ParkZone (PKZ3680)

When will the madness stop

Ron
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #12

Ron,

Most of the Parkzone planes are good flyers. although I an not familar with yours right now. While you are new, try reducing the throws on your planes quite a bit, especially the alerions. A lot of these are set up for 3-d flyers, and can be quite aggressive. That should make your flights much smoother, and help to keep you out of trouble. The biggest thing, try to fine another experienced flyer to help you get started. We always tell everyone that the worst thing you can do is to try flying it by yourself until you learn how. Get some help, reduce the controls, and have at it. You have entered a fun hobby, and can expect many years of rewards tocome.

Noel
Old 09-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #13

Talking

Rouon,
I went out an looked at the P-51 you have. It should be a lot easier to fly than the one you started with. The other one is a 3-d type plane, and is MUCH too touchy for a beginner. However, with reduced throws, it should tame down a lot and be OK. Just for a thought, take a lok at the size of the control surfaces on your first plane, compared to thuse on the Mustang. What you want when you use full alerions is a slow roll instead of a twirl!! Keep it up(in the air)
Old 09-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Noel,

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement

The throws for the Sukhoi are preset for the lowest setting. One of the things that is giving me problems is the radio that I'm using does not have any adjustment to fine tune the controls to a slower rate. I may eventually have to invest in a more expensive radio, one that I can set the rates to a lower and slower setting.

I did inlist the help of a RC friend of mine who helped me finally get my thumbs under control and now I can fly the Sukhoi around in several circuts without going out of control.

I still have a lot of work to do on not letting my thumbs go dumb on me though. This past Labor Day weekend I did my first roll and loop. I think I may eventually get the hang of ailerons but it's going to take a lot of practice.

You are right about the P51 going to be a little easier to fly according to the write up, and the explanation of the change in the wing design.

Ron