Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #1

Anyone do radio control (R/C) while camping?

I used to fly and drive all manner of stuff many years ago. My daughter got me an e-jet for Xmas (she thought it was cool), but I will need a few hours under my belt before I take it up. So I picked up a micro quad copter to chase the car around the house. I also picked up a full collective mini helo Blade Mcpx. Been getting back into flying a collective helo and it's all coming back. This got me thinking that this would be a way cool thing to take camping. It's pretty small, so might not be best for outdoor, so I may move up to a 150 or 200 size. I had a 450 back in the day but that thing scared the crap out of me.

Anyone else do R/C while camping?
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 05:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes I do.
I have a wing, a Piρata made by Crash Test Hobbies. Modified to do 70 mph.
Also three different racing style quad copters. And a Mavic Mini for photography.

I find it hard to bring fixed wing aircraft but have them at my summer and normal winter destinations. Also belong to clubs at each destination.

Have fun and welcome back to a great hobby.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #3

It is not practical to carry around on the road but back aways I used to have an R/C sailboat. It was a one design, meaning that it was the same as every other in its class. It was a scale model America's Cup 12 meter Courageous boat. The one Ted Turner raced.

The boats were about 5' long & just over 6' keel to top of the mast.

At one point there were almost 24 identical boats in our club. We raced by big boat rules & the competition could be pretty fierce & the sailing close with the occasional collision.

Racing is much more fun than aimless sailing around.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #4

I mostly fly moderately high speed EDFs with 6 to 8s power systems. Most are in the 110-150 mph range. Unfortunately, not while camping. I'm still a seasonal camper, between having kids in school and working, and parks tend to be too crowded on weekends and during the high season in the summer. I've also found it can be hard to get into local clubs wherever I'm at for some stick time if I'm not actually looking to join (because I'm just passing through). It doesn't help that my planes need paved runways. I do have a couple small, low speed planes that I got for the kids that I could probably fly in parks if they weren't crowded, but so far it's seemed so rare an opportunity that I don't bring them. It's likely easier for those that fly quads. I tried it, got okay at freestyle, but pretty quickly lost interest. There's just nothing like the grace and beauty of flying on a fixed wing to me.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I do drone flying at all the campsites I go to. Its a lot of fun, but I am new to it so worried about losing it and people getting weird about it.
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #6

I never leave home without some form of r/c, always seem to find an enjoyable place to fly! I like the small UMX planes because they are quiet. Bart stows well and catches imaginary waves and folks eyes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A07048AE-29DB-4283-8291-1DAA2F16D1B0.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	312883  
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We he had a sticks and bricks, I had an EC12 and an AC class R/C boat. Sure enjoyed the competition with the AC boat. I sold the EC12 to a local club member in Houston. The AC went to Colorado.

As for flying an aircraft, you would do well to find an R/C field in your travels. Most state and all Federal lands prohibit flying R/C aircraft on or over their property. Many private parks also prohibit flying as well due to safety and privacy concerns.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
It is not practical to carry around on the road but back aways I used to have an R/C sailboat. It was a one design, meaning that it was the same as every other in its class. It was a scale model America's Cup 12 meter Courageous boat. The one Ted Turner raced.

The boats were about 5' long & just over 6' keel to top of the mast.

At one point there were almost 24 identical boats in our club. We raced by big boat rules & the competition could be pretty fierce & the sailing close with the occasional collision.

Racing is much more fun than aimless sailing around.
Used to have a one meter sailboat.
We had a group of six that would race regularly.
Gets pretty intense at times.
Nice thing about RC sailing is that you would get tired of running the boat around the pond before the batteries ran out.
Got into autocross racing my Miata so didn't have time for the RC sailboat.
Not my picture but it was close to this:
Old 12-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #9

I brought a sport drone with me but haven't used it as much as I thought because a lot of campgrounds forbid them. Finally was able to fly while boondocking in the desert but it gets pretty windy during the day. A couple weeks ago I was zooming around on a beautiful morning, when for the first time ever, the drone lost power, flipped over, and crashed to into the desert rocks. The results weren't pretty. Never did find all the pieces. Fortunately, none of the running components were damaged so everything will get moved over to a new frame and body as soon as my daughter forwards the parts to me. A lot of places don't accept USPS mail and that's how the places I get parts from ship - so it goes to my mail forwarding service - my kid.

It could have been worse because I had just been doing some high speed passes at close to 60mph and I slowed way down to pass our motorhome. Still, plowing into the rock covered ground at 30+ is a lot of force - twice that speed might have destroyed the electronics too. Had to put on my fake FAA crash inspector hat to determine the best possible direction and extent of the debris field to look for all the plastic bits. You'd think bright red parts would be easy to see against dark brown rocks tan sand. Nope. Did determine the place of impact. The force dislodged a rock from the desert soil and flipped it over a couple feet away.

Turned the kitchen table into the reconstruction area to determine what was broken. Felt pretty good about being able to find 96% of the parts.

At first I wished the crash had happened 10 feet to the south where a large tree/shrub was growing thinking it might have saved the craft. Then I realized the tree is covered in thorns. Is there any plant in the Arizona desert that isn't covered in something sharp? Not sure which would be worse. A broken but repairable drone, or an intact one stick in the top of a thorn covered tree. I DO carry a chainsaw . . .
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #10

I have been flying for 5 years on a regular basis and getting ready to retire. I fly a variety of fixed wing and thinking of having some with me even to the point of pulling a hangar behind my 5er.

There is a retirement community in Quartzsite AZ that has an AMA sanctioned flying field but I have heard there is a place there where a people go and boon dock and fly off the desert floor. That sounds like fun hanging with a bunch of old farts and flying every day.

If anyone knows if this place actually exists and where in the Quartzsite area it would be please let me know.

Thanks

Archie
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #11

Kawabung dude? that looks like fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
I never leave home without some form of r/c, always seem to find an enjoyable place to fly! I like the small UMX planes because they are quiet. Bart stows well and catches imaginary waves and folks eyes!
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fly RC ?

Never leave home without the Sig Kadet SR.
80" wing, 60" fues and a saito 91 up front.
Stores nicely in the long compartment on the driver's side, with a bit of foam wrapping.
Toad is a minivan, so no problems getting to a local airfield.
Great field in Apopka, Fla. with some really good flyers there.

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	320571  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Never leave home without the Sig Kadet SR.
80" wing, 60" fues and a saito 91 up front.
Stores nicely in the long compartment on the driver's side, with a bit of foam wrapping.
Toad is a minivan, so no problems getting to a local airfield.
Great field in Apopka, Fla. with some really good flyers there.

Mike in Colorado
Mike
Check out the field in Buena Vista CO in your area, courageous place!
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #14

Anyone do radio control (R/C) while camping?

I stay on terra firma with my home built 1:12 super scale R/C F450 and 42’ toyhauler
The trailer is - yes - 42” long
Quite a hit running it around the RV parkClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	320608Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0209.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	320609Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0226.jpg
Views:	52