Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to smallpond3500
Hope to build another layout soon. was into HO spiked my own rail ,Wife said it was overboard but i thout it was just right
smallpond3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wink

Well, i am in a hold pattern, Till i get the trailer built,(covered). I have got a plan but am waiting till i get closer to actually starting the layout. It is a L shaped model that will go across the front of the trailer and down one side about five foot. I am planning to have it about 48 inches off the floor. That should let our trooper to still get into the trailer and i can fold the work bench when we are in travel. I will have to use stronger framework than would be needed for a home layout but want to stay mobile for awhile yet. I can show the model i have right now. It will be a logging layout with two logging camps and a sawmill. Have two two-truck Shays and will be looking for a car to put on it for the workers to get back and forth from the camp to town. Want a goose but am having a time finding one. I may just use a coach for it. If you think it looks somewhat familiar, It is based on the Possum valley rr in Model Railroader. I grew up in the area around the Green Brier river area.Even worked for a Lumber company when i was young. They had a BIG mill there and i worked in the mill. Always loved the smell of fresh wood being cut. Also loved the smell of wood burning in the stove to keep us warm! Hope this comes up right. Later, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #17

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have post war Lionel, HO, Aurora slot cars and some old, beat-up Lionel standard gauge cars with a non-working locomotive (also, with no track or transformer) that a realtive gave to me when I was a child. I also have a Marx train set that was acquired from another relative. Besides the trains, I have a number of O and HO gauge Plasticville houses, buildings and accessories. I've been a TCA (Train Collectors Association) member for 20 years.

About the most of a layout I put up these days is a loop on a 4' x 4' platform with our Christmas tree in the center. As a youngin', the trains were displayed on a 4' x 12' platform. Half the platform was for the Lionel trains and the other half for the HO and Aurora slot cars. Probably one of the neatest things I had was a railroad crosssing for the slot cars. Some of my neighborhood friends had HO slot cars too and we would spend hours playing beat the train at the crossing.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Dan
that's a great looking track plan. I like it, lot's of trackage, all with a purpose and the trackage isn't like a plate a spaghetti. Well done you must have put a lot of thought into the plan.
If I ever get around to tearing down a section of wall and relocating it I can start on mine. Don't have a track plan yet but I do have some ideas.
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #19

Dan:

Was a model RR fan when kids were younger, but have shelved the idea (youngest is mid-thirties!).

I was into British 00 gauge stuff, which runs on US HO track. I still have three trains and a few card buildings of UK-style staions, etc. I was thinking of putting them all on eBay.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Have any of you honeymooned at the EBT in Rockhill Furnace / Orbisonia PA, like Denise and I did?

We are into building and riding live steam model railroading and attend a large outdoor track in southern Oregon. The model railroading hobby has been one both Denise and I enjoy.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #21

I have N Gauge trains I had a layout for home I am looking into a coffee table layout to fit in the RV living room
cmothershed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have had to put the model railroad on a back burner for now. Just have way too much work to do on the truck and will be working on a travel trailer too. Maybe next fall..maybe...
Old 12-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
My home is small but i have a small area up front across from the Kitchen that i can use to put up a small model railroad. Anyone else like railroads? I have only seen one who did, Just wondering if there was any others?
When I was first married back in the mid 1960s I lived in a large house and had plenty of room for electric trains. We had 2 large boards across the entire back of the livingroom. I did the scenery and my now ex-husband (may he R.I.P.) laid out the tracks. We had both N gauge and HOs. I still have some of the stuff in boxes out in the storage building. I never could get myself to sell or give those boxes away. We would buy those kits of houses and barns and other buildings. It was a hobby I really loved. But now, without a basement, I have no room to set up another board. And needless to say, it was a very expensive hobby.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #24

I'm still playing with my Hot Wheels.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #25

There is a camp ground in Foley, Alabama, which is very near Mobile. That camp ground is called Wales West. They have a train imported from Wales, and it looks like Thomas the Train, with face and all. I don't know anything about what gauge it is but it is a standard Welch(spelling??) train and you can ride it around the campground. Pretty cool. It can be looked up if you google wales west foley alabama.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is a treat for all you RR fans.

http://youtu.be/PN_oDdGmKyA

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, That is way cool!!! I have seen the old clip but that new clip is way over the top!! I wonder who is paying for that earth layout?? Thanks and Merry Christmas! Dan
Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Here is a treat for all you RR fans.

http://youtu.be/PN_oDdGmKyA

jack
Wow! Simply Awesome!

I model in N. It's been on hold for the last few years. Track was laid a few years ago and I had just started the scenery when I had to put everything on hold to do a major remodel of the sticks & bricks.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote