Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 07:43 AM   #1

Cross stitchers? How to organize DMC

Cross stitchers: We start full-timing in a couple of weeks. I'm trying to pare down (hahaha) and organize my craft supplies. Currently at home I have all the DMC threads (OMG there are sooo many!) in very small ziplocs and in number order in a couple of clear shoe boxes. Obviously that's really space-consuming for the RV. How do you organize your threads? Suggestions?

TIA,
Cindi
GCA1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I thought this was a dying art- glad to hear its still popular and would love to see some examples! You could always mount a weather-proof bin on the back bumper and put other stuff out there to make room inside for the important stuff!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #3

I never did cross stich but I used to do some embroidery. What I did was buy like umpteen of these little cards.
https://www.amazon.in/Embroidery-Org.../dp/B07QDJ6ND3

Then I bought the plastic boxes for them. I think I was able to store over 500 in the space of a breadbox or so. It's annoying to undo each thread pack and rewind it onto the cards but once done you can't beat the organization. I always wrote the thread numbers on the cards since the wrapper was going away and some colors are awful close.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I never did cross stich but I used to do some embroidery. What I did was buy like umpteen of these little cards.
https://www.amazon.in/Embroidery-Org.../dp/B07QDJ6ND3 Then I bought the plastic boxes for them. I think I was able to store over 500 in the space of a breadbox or so. It's annoying to undo each thread pack and rewind it onto the cards but once done you can't beat the organization. I always wrote the thread numbers on the cards since the wrapper was going away and some colors are awful close.
That's how I had them organized when I first started cross stitching a zillion years ago. You're right, it is a big chore winding them around those little cards, LOL. I'll consider this, the flat boxes would be better than the shoe boxes. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I thought this was a dying art- glad to hear its still popular and would love to see some examples! You could always mount a weather-proof bin on the back bumper and put other stuff out there to make room inside for the important stuff!
No, it's doesn't seem as popular, there are fewer kits in craft stores, but they still sell the thread and patterns can be found online.

Here's one I did a couple years ago. Excuse the wrinkles; I've never cleaned it up to frame it. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	piece makers xstitch.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	692.3 KB
ID:	350741
Old 12-07-2021, 08:57 AM   #6

As I recall, changing over to the cards was what was truly awful. Once that was done rewinding the odd replacement and addition was no trouble worth mentioning.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #7

you can buy plastic boxes with adjustable dividers found in craft dept near the embroidery thread dept, (tip: you can buy the same thing in the fishing dept of Walmart for lower price) I found one years ago in the fishing dept that was in a storage bag that had 5-6 of these boxes, you can use those to store your floss in, and keep them all in that bag (it's a fishing tackle bag similar to a backpack. find one that will hold multiple plastic boxes (they usually come with the plastic boxes) I have since given those to my daughter and bought a box that has lots of little drawers that the drawers are 6 inches in length. it has over 60 drawers, so i keep my floss in there now, no need to wind the floss on those little cards. I did buy a floss winder to give to my daughter for those plastic boxes.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:15 PM   #8

Cross stitchers

this past year I bought these drawers from Amazon. they are the only ones I could find that was long enough for the thread skeins. that saves me from having to roll them onto those little cards' do a search on amazon: IRIS USA Parts and Hardware Cabinet, 64 Drawers, Black
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote