Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #1

Frequent Flyers

I know an RV site isn't a good place to ask about flying but who knows there are a lot of people here who probably can help me. I am just wondering if the Premium Economy Class is worth the extra money especially on long domestic flights. I've done about as much reading on it as I want to and I am still wondering if it will be worth it. It looks like it really varies from one airline to the other as well as from type aircraft to the other so I would not be sure what I am getting till I actually get on the plane. We are leaving mid next month on a flight from Reno to Charlotte NC, then taking a Rental Car to Knoxville TN and flying back from Knoxville to here, Reno. We took First Class last time we flew so just wondering about Premium Economy.
Bill

PS - Moderators feel free to move this if I am in the wrong place.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You are right, there is no single answer. The rules are very fluid. Different airlines and different equipment within each airline. If premium economy means an exit seat, then maybe, depends on the price diff. If it is just an isle seat up close to the front, not so much. I am vested Gold (Million Miler) on AA, so I will use them if possible whenever I have to fly. IMO, even 1st class is not that great any more. I only fly 2 - 3 times / year now. If it's lees than 8 hours and a non-stop fight is not available, I will drive. I dislike flying very much.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:49 AM   #3

We only fly once or twice a year now and I hate it. I am 68 years old with bad knees and other things so we fly first class even though we don't like paying so much for what you get but it does eliminate a lot of the hassle, I need the leg room most of all. I checked on flights again today and there must be 30 different combinations all departing at 6am, that means we have to be at the airport by about 430am -ARE THEY INSANE!
Bill
Old 01-08-2018, 02:20 AM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Depends on who is setting next to you! LOL
I'm a million miler with Delta, I do enjoy the extra leg room and a little wider seat in their premium economy seats. I have flown a lot of different airlines and each one has a different version of premium economy seats so there isn't any easy answers, sorry.
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #5

IMO, it kinda depends on the situation. I fly to China from LAX 2x per year. I always pay for First Class on my return flight from LAX to wherever we are parked. I just can’t fly 14 hours and then sit in economy. usually it is only 150-200.00 more than economy. On quick trips inside the USA, Southwest is my go to. I don’t need much room for my 30” waist.

So I guess there are circumstances that would make me choose a higher class than economy. Comfort is a big. I can be comfortable for up to 3 hours in a regular seat. more than that, I would pay for a bigger seat/legroom. I always fly business when I go to China. I did the economy thing once, never again.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

I need the comfort more than anything but some of the amenities of first class are nice also. We ended up booking a flight with a LAX to Charlotte NC leg, that to me is a transcontinental flight or Ocean to Ocean as you can get. We ended up with a Airbus 321 with no wifi or video . Man I hate to pay this much for leg room.
Any of you more experienced flyers out there might be able to help me out. The flight I am talking about is AA Flight 2052 on 2/10/18 out of LAX am I right on it not having wifi and video? I did use the American Airlines connectivity website to find the info I hope is wrong.
Bill
Old 01-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If premium economy means more legroom - then yes. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #8

Well we are back and I learned a few things from this trip. If you want or need 110 volt power at your seat be sure to thoroughly check out the aircraft you are flying on, both the Airbus A321's we flew on did not have 110 or 12vdc so had to depend on the device batteries. Wi-Fi this became my favorite complaint, if the airline says the plane your flying on has wi-fi that only means they provide the connection nothing else unless you purchase a wi-fi service like gogoinflight to actually use the service. We ended up purchasing the service just for the two long flights on the days of the flights. Wasn't the greatest but it beats starring at the back of the seat in front of you. We also did go ahead and purchase first class tickets and I was happy with the seating even on the smaller planes we flew on Embraer 175, CRJ 700 & 900'S. Our tickets listed us as Group 1 Priority First which did help with boarding for sure. Going we just went right through TSA check point no hassle, coming back we got the full thing. They went through our carry on's, removed shoes, belts, coats and even got frisked.
Now the fun part trying to leave Los Angeles (LAX) we started to taxi to runway and all the way I could very planely hear the nose strut bottoming out and told my wife I hoped we do not take off on it because the landing could be scarry. Luckily the pilot turned around and we went back to the gate and he did announce that there seemed to be a problem with the nose gear. We get to gate and good old American Airlines decided to fix it at the gate so we sit on the aircraft for over 4 hours while they pretended to fix it. I know what they did, they just pumped it full of air or hydraulic fluid whichever was low and sent us on our merry way. As we taxied back out again it started to bump just as we began rollout and when we rotated it sounded really bad and I got a sort of sick to my stomach feeling. Yes the landing went pretty bad with violent shaking, swirving from right to left and a blown nose tire. I did talk with the pilot and he was a retired Navy P3 driver with about a million flight hours so all was good.
Bill
Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
We get to gate and good old American Airlines decided to fix it at the gate so we sit on the aircraft for over 4 hours while they pretended to fix it.
That's everyones nightmare. I thought they passed a law and they were no onger allowed to do that. Did they allow passengers to relieve themselves or serve beverages? As I stated before, I am vested Gold on AA, but that no longer means much other than Group 1 boarding. We used to get two free check-in bags PP but they reduced it to only one. I used to get priority for exit row seats, and now have to pay extra.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #10

I don’t fly much since we went FT in the Mh, but on a recent trip to New orleans from San Diego I flew AA. Nice trip. In fact, when boarded in DFW, they announced a tire wear check. Delayed us about 30 minutes from leaving the gate. Captain apologized for the delay. Free booze all the way to San Diego.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:27 PM   #11

While we were at the gate they did serve water, cokes and coffee and did allow restroom use. We were in first class so I am not sure what they did with the people back in coach.
I spent over 35 years of my life working on military aircraft F4, A7, F8 and from 1980 till 2005 F18's and SuperHornets. What bothered me about the nose strut problem we had is that it never should have happened. It told me that there was no walk around done by anyone, nose struts have gauges on them that should be checked prior to every flight. I was obvious no one did this. After talking with the First Pilot I know they don't do walk arounds either. I was in the first row of seats so I was able to hear a lot of the discussion between the maintenance people and the Aircrew, the cockpit door was open the entire time. There were times I almost had to laugh. Either a lot of things have changed or the military does a lot more in depth safety related inspections than commercial air. The entire experience did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Bill
Old 08-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #12

Just saw this and thought I'd comment. If you don't want to pay the premium for the better economy seats, would recommend Southwest if its available. The seats and room seem to be adequate for most. If you have a frequent flyer card, try to book emergency aisle if you can. Some seats don't recline, but the leg room is the best.

FYI, trick with Southwest is to set your phone to remind you 24 hours before your flight. Check in begins then and so you can grab a better spot in the queue. Of all the airlines I travel, Southwest passengers seem to be the most relaxed.

If the best seat you can grab isn't available when you book, go back and search again several times before your trip. Things change. BTW, if you don't have a frequent flyer card, get one. Several airlines have partner agreements with car rental, hotels etc., which help you to transfer miles. You'll also be on their email list for the latest deals.

I've logged over 2.5M miles, and have been able to enjoy many freebies for the family. Best if you can book with a consistent carrier if its reasonable enough.
BobinChina03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I am Diamond with Delta so can only speak to Delta Comfort. Delta comfort is worth no more than a couple hundreds bucks over coach seating.

If you book early enough and can get an exit row aisle seat you will have as much room as Comfort seating.

I only sit in comfort on overseas flights when I don't get a free upgrade to first or business class but at 6'3" and 200 lbs I will always spend an extra $200.00 for any flight over an hour. Typically as Diamond I'm always upgraded to first class. If not I would go exit row or Comfort.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #14

Well I am back with another question as we are flying out the same route probably in Dec. Last time while at LAX had to ride a bus across the ramp to make it to the AA terminal. When we got off the bus we had to climb about three flights of stairs to get up to main floor. Well there was this guy standing at bottom of stairs who did have a ID Badge wanting to carry our carry on luggage up the stairs, I said no I could handle it. He comes back around grabs my bags and takes off up the stairs. When I got to the top of the stairs I said thanks and took our bags and he didn't appear to happy. Do these guys work for tips even after I told him I didn't need his help? We are no cheapskates and he did get those bags up those stairs much faster than this 68 year old could but still I don't like being taken advantage of.
Bill